engine swap possible?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Swift

DIY god
hey guys,

Well my one bud has an Aveo...and well it seems both chevy and honda were in on putting one of a kind crap motors in these little cars.

What i mean by that is WTF is an L15?? So i my question is this...does it come in anything else(like a civic?) and if so does that mean there is a possibitilty of a relatively ease swap then?(minus electronics)

just thought i would bring it up..would be wicked for a k24turbo to fit..lol

swift

Have you read any import magazines in the past year or so? They're always featuring K20-swapped Fits now.

So yes...it's definitely possible.

actually i dont read any import magazines now because of the misinformation written posted or lack of info.(mechanic by trade)

And as stated anything is possible with money but can it be done with OEM mounts being swapped around?Does Hasport make any mounts etc etc...

Sure a magazine can do it but at what cost?

thanks guys!

Why would you quit reading import magazines because of mistakes or a lack of tech info? If you're a mechanic then you should be able to recognize any misinformation and dismiss it. It's not a reason to quit looking at them altogether, because like I said, if you had picked up an issue or two of Honda Tuning you would know that both Mugen and Hasport have done K-Swapped Fits already.

Hasport is working on perfecting a mount kit, so I doubt you can do it with stock mounts. Also, from what I've read, the Fit's electronics are somewhat complicated, and as of yet, there isn't really a great tuning solution.

Just do a Google search for "K-Series Swap Fit". I did and I came up with a whole bunch of stuff on K20a.org.

thanks for the info!

and to be blunt most of the magazines are by the same publisher now(hence why some cars are refeatured). In one magazine i directed two emails to higher up writers etc for a special article in which they wanted unique swaps not done by shops etc and not sponsored. I wrote proper emails etc and got one response..now if you see my sig etc i think you will agree my swap is quite unique and the car is pretty decent looking. However most of these "ideas" they sprout are made up etc. At one point they were going to bolt on an m90 to an acura RL and the idea and most of the pics were stolen from a forum and can be simply googled. This was a year ago...and still no supercharger.

IMO.

thanks for the info!

and to be blunt most of the magazines are by the same publisher now(hence why some cars are refeatured). In one magazine i directed two emails to higher up writers etc for a special article in which they wanted unique swaps not done by shops etc and not sponsored. I wrote proper emails etc and got one response..now if you see my sig etc i think you will agree my swap is quite unique and the car is pretty decent looking. However most of these "ideas" they sprout are made up etc. At one point they were going to bolt on an m90 to an acura RL and the idea and most of the pics were stolen from a forum and can be simply googled. This was a year ago...and still no supercharger.

IMO.

Ah yes, you're talking about Primedia. Yeah it's true, a lot of those magazines are from the same people, so you see a lot of the same cars featured. Kinda cheap yeah, but then again, the only one I really read regularly is Honda Tuning.

And yeah, I remember the proposed super charger install into the RL. I think they did an HID install and projector retrofit on that car too, and then it just kinda disappeared. They've done that before too. For a while they were building up a Civic station wagon and I thought it was an awesome project. One issue it was just gone though, and then it never came back. I suppose they have to pick and choose which projects they can realistically finish within their budget.

But anyway, yeah I definitely agree with you that a lot of the magazines often drop the ball. I still like to read them though, just so I can see what's new in the Honda tuning world, and I also like to check out the feature cars so I can get ideas for my own ride.

I agree with you 100%.

Some of the cars are well done, others are complete crap. Some of the models are hot...others....lol..

I am concertrating alot of my efforts etc into the J-series. Incredible engine block and very "hybrid" friendly :cool:

thanks

if you ask me, L15A vtec is better than the R18 in the civic. Mainly because the L15A has more 'reasonable' cam profiles. On the L15A, the cams are set on low lift a low rpm and high lift on higher rpm, (basically when vtec engages.) This is setting is like the SI motors ie. K20a2/k20z3. Whereas the R18 is the opposite, high lift at low rpm and low lift at high rpm. Which imho, is just dumb.

As per the 'is engine swap possible' question. Yes, you can swap anything into any car, it is just a matter of how much money you have. The best, assuming you have ~6k or so, is to get a hasport motor mount and to either do a K20a2 or a K20z3 swap. Obviously, the k20z3 swap will have the greatest bhp.

There are also forced induction kits, i've seen people get about ~200hp at the crank with a turbo setup and ~170 at the wheels. I believe that is also with stock internals.

Back