Engine thoughts ? For a swap? 98 civic hb

NewGuy2

I'm currently looking to swap a 98 2 door civic hatch back engine, I guess I'm in the thought of what to swap with. So I'm looking for ideas on what would be good for a day driver that I can keep my AC but yet be a sleeper car. So I guess any knowledge in what would be a good swap. I was looking at a jdm b18c type r vtec with 200hp and lsd tranny but also thinking of building a ls vtec. I haven't yet chose if I want to go with a supercharger or turbo or maybe best of both worlds with twin charged . So I guess any thoughts or ideas on what would be a good motor swap ? That can produce good horse power but still be a street car? Should I keep it fwd? Or go a conversion awd kit?

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
:disgust:

it's against my better judgement, but i have some time to waste, so I will address this post

So I guess any knowledge in what would be a good swap.
just get a GSR swap

I was looking at a jdm b18c type r vtec with 200hp and lsd tranny but also thinking of building a ls vtec
:no:
you can get an LSD on the GSR swap and still spend less and not have to tear out all of the high compression parts that make a Type R a Type R if you are actually considering forced induction
LS/VTEC builds are not for beginners if you want something that will actually have any chance of making power or being reliable

I haven't yet chose if I want to go with a supercharger or turbo or maybe best of both worlds with twin charged
twin charged :lmao:
if you have any intentions of going forced induction, put a turbo on it and call it a day, though at your power goals (200hp) there is literally 0 reason to bother
hell if you really only want 200hp out of this, then save a shit ton of money and just put a small turbo on your current D series and call it a day.

So I guess any thoughts or ideas on what would be a good motor swap ? That can produce good horse power but still be a street car?
again GSR swap or turbo what you already have

Should I keep it fwd? Or go a conversion awd kit?
LMMFAO!!!! :lmao:
:facepalm:
why dont you just mid mount it and make it a mid engine RWD
seriously there is no "kit" to make a civic AWD
for what you would spend half-assing your way in to an endless project that will never be completed trying to turn a civic in to a twin charged awd car you could literally go buy an imported nissan skyline

if you want AWD and Turbo and over 200hp they already exist all over the place
get a wrx or sti or an evo or an older dsm or an audi or a VW r32 or a focus rs or......

NewGuy2

I'm actually going for the upper 500 hp range in the civic and money wise most likely around sinking 30,000-40,000 into it but I want to avoid k series so I have room do add ons.

NewGuy2

But I'm also doing a exhaust maybe dual , body kit. Already have everything else done just need a engine swap .

dilbeckskate

infamous
if you are sinking 30-40k into it buy a C6 Corvette ZR1 and shit on 95% you will ever see/run on the road/track/strip and have something actually nice.... this a hopes and dreams convo if you have even 30k to spend you can afford a much nicer and newer and already fast car/better chassis to begin with... good day

AHHVTEC

VIP
lol, everyone has there on money, so do it as you see fit. but not going k series bc you want room for add ons, ,really, with a 40k budget.

dilbeckskate

infamous
Lol idk this stuff has been covered alot and a 40k budget...

Last edited:

NewGuy2

I just figure that much of value because a good engine will range 3000-8000$ , then tranny 1500$ , body kit 1200$ , super charger and turbo of decent quality another 3000-6000$ , awd conversion will be about a few grand , I'm also paying someone for labor. I just like the style of the civic and I read about the 7sec awd civic. So all the pieces put together it will cost that much

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
this is literally a worse idea and bigger waste of money than going to Vegas and blowing 30-40 grand on coke and hookers
but hey... you do you

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
What do you mean exactly when you say, "I want to avoid K-series so I have room for add-ons?"

dilbeckskate

infamous
Im tellin ya dog with 40k get a C6 that makes 600+ and a new wardrobe and a new xbox and tv and still have some running money
Screenshot_20180917-134617_eBay.jpg