Engine Weight

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gatherer

Hello,

does anyone know of a place where I can find out the weight of different honda engines, I'm thinking of a an engine swap but I am curious as to how much extra weight I would be adding to my car, so that I know how much weight to take off the car to keep it close to a stock weight.

B20b
dry weight = 317.9 lbs (144.5 kg)
bore= 84 mm
stroke= 89 mm
1972 cc

b18b
dry weight = 326 lbs (148.1 kg)
bore=81 mm
stroke = 89 mm
1834 cc

b16a
wet? weight = 309 lbs (140.5 kg)
bore=81 mm
stroke = 77.4
1595 cc's
compression = 10.2:1

ZC
dry weight = 247 lbs
bore=75 mm
stroke = 90 mm
1590 cc's
compression = 9.1:1

The two biggest things you can remove to lose weight is the power steering and a/c. Losing the a/c will drop about 50 lbs, and power steering will be about the same.

Originally posted by SnailOnARampage@Jan 22 2003, 10:33 AM
The two biggest things you can remove to lose weight is the power steering and a/c. Losing the a/c will drop about 50 lbs, and power steering will be about the same.

I've only picked up a couple,but have yet to run across a 50lb AC or PS.Where did you get those weights from?I was going to write Honda,because this question comes up way too often.

I think the power steering is a little off on that page. The compressor/fluids/piping/larger rack/pinion should weigh more than 22 lbs over non power steering.

Another reason...is just the weight between the del sol S, and Si.

The S model weighs 2300 lbs
The Si weighs 2400 lbs

What was changed between the two models?

added a d16z6 VTEC engine (20 lbs)?
added cruise control (15 lbs)?
added power mirrors (2 lbs)?

Where is the rest of it?

Power steering.

The VTEC model weighs 2522 lbs.

It has all the same options as the Si, except it has a rear sway bar and a slightly thicker front sway bar. All the rest is engine weight.

Originally posted by SnailOnARampage@Jan 22 2003, 05:48 AM
Where is the rest of it?

rear disc vs drums
larger front sway on the si
S fuel tank is 1 gallon smaller

Where did you get the info that the S gas tank is 1 gallon smaller? I have never heard that before. regardless I believe it is the empty weight. so gas tank size would have very little affect on it. The difference in front sway bar is like 2 mm...maybe 3 or 4 lbs? I'm not sure on what the weight difference is between disc/drum breaks tho.

Originally posted by SnailOnARampage@Jan 22 2003, 10:33 AM
...Losing the a/c will drop about 50 lbs, and power steering will be about the same...

Your not going to get me to believe AC and PS are going to be a hundred pounds,without putting them on a scale.Your trying to say that these two things comprise a third of the weight of the motor? :huh:

Well thanks for the help although I already don't have AC or PS (93 CX hatch back). The info give on those few engines was great. Snailonarampage where did you get that info and do you have any info on the h series engines?

Have you ever really worked on an A/C system before? You have the:

A/c Pump (20 lbs)
a/c condenser (10 lbs)
a/c fan (5-10 lbs)
a/c dryer (2-4 lbs)
misc piping (5-10 lbs)
a/c evaporator...located under the dash and is almost impossible to remove (10-15 lbs)

as for the power steering:

p/s pump (10 lbs)
piping and such ( 5 lbs)
difference in weight between the rack and pinions is probably 10 lbs minimum

Even using the low end estimates you still get about 75 lbs...which is...well 1/3 of the weight of an engine.

If you still doubt those things...why not look at the link which i posted earlier, where someone actually tore their car apart and weighed all the equipment. The a/c weight is most likely going to be without the evaporator...based simply on how difficult it is to take out.

http://www.darksol.com/showcase.html

Originally posted by gatherer@Jan 22 2003, 08:07 AM
Well thanks for the help although I already don't have AC or PS (93 CX hatch back). The info give on those few engines was great. Snailonarampage where did you get that info and do you have any info on the h series engines?

I just searched on the web to find those weights...took me about an hour. I haven't been able to find anything on the H22a or the b18c yet, but i'll keep on looking. If i had to make a guess, the b18c would weigh the same or less than a b18b because of the shorter stroke, hence a smaller crankshaft, and the h22a would weigh 50-60 lbs more than the b18b.

well you got further then I did searching the web I tried goggle and yahoo and all I got were go kart engines and the weight of the insight engine (thats a go kart engine right?) I'm still looking to I'm thinking of calling companys that ship engines out I'm sure they'll know the weight of them

The h22a weighs 393 lbs with the transmission included. All the other engine weights had the transmission included as well. It is the weight for the whole drive train.

those engine weight figures above are HORRIBLY wrong. I promise you, i have no proof aside from the sipping slip for my swap but i can tell you right now they are not accurate and losing A/C will not lose 50 pounds, I have my whole A/C sytem a power steering pump plus other shit in a box and it weighs no where near 50 pounds

Back