Excedy Sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cool! if that happens then i'll just get a new one.

let's weigh out the # of clutches sold... to the # of clutches that look like that

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Mar 4 2003, 06:08 AM
cool! if that happens then i'll just get a new one.

let's weigh out the # of clutches sold... to the # of clutches that look like that

It's like the Rota wheels thing,every product is going to have some failures.How hard was the clutch abused during the time he had it?

In all fairness, damper spring popout(the cracking of the clutch plate, thereby leading to the popping out of the damper spring and causing lots o damage...

I had a Centerforce Dual friction that did the same thing as that Exedy. At first I was pissed, it was only a year old and I thought they were supposed to last longer than that. But after doing some research, I found that high performance clutches are all documented to fail sooner than a stock unit. and damper spring popout is usually the case. It's almost a statistic. I wouldn't think that damage would be related to the brand. and all TO bearings will separate if you simply pull on them. It could have gotten hot and fused to the pressure plate and was pulled off. who knows... it looks like a standard failure of high performance clutch to me.

:werd: Exedy/Daiken are OEM anyway. That was a stock friction disk and a stock throw out bearing. If I went out banging gears on the track with a fresh clutch I wouldn't be very surprised if it didn't like it. I'm not saying this is normal but...you get the point.

Originally posted by cws13@Mar 4 2003, 10:39 AM
:werd: Exedy/Daiken are OEM anyway. That was a stock friction disk and a stock throw out bearing. If I went out banging gears on the track with a fresh clutch I wouldn't be very surprised if it didn't like it. I'm not saying this is normal but...you get the point.

:werd:
Pills said he was breaking it in anyways--who's to say he didnt put it on, go strait to the track and do runs? It's the same principle as breaking in a motor--you want to beat the shit out of it, but you know better (or at least you should)

:( i was gonna get an exedy soon too because mine is going extra soft *stock* or should i not be discourage?? maybe an Ogura clutch since a good half of the JGTC uses them?

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Mar 4 2003, 05:43 PM
:( i was gonna get an exedy soon too because mine is going extra soft *stock* or should i not be discourage?? maybe an Ogura clutch since a good half of the JGTC uses them?

I'm still getting mine,the price is too good.

Where can you find Ogura or Exedy. I still dont have anything against Exedy after seeing that. Signal uses them. :D

Ya know, ya gotta look at it this way, if a company made complete crap and all of them failed like this one, then they wouldn't be in business. So long as their name isn't APC... I'd say stick with buying the Exedy and just do as the instructions say and allow the breakin period.

just do as the instructions say and allow the breakin period.

that's the FIRST thing that popped into my head when i saw that thread on H-T..."did this guy follow the proper break-in instructions?"

from what pissedoffsol said it doesnt sound like he was some rookie that didnt know how to break in his clutch. sounds like parts failure. i do believe its still a good product.

How are the ACTs, any such major issues with those? My dsm buddies all run them on their cars with no probs. Oh yeah, pretty shitty and wholey unrelated story here (just taking up space). me and my boy were changing the clutch on our golf and when we got to the pp the damn thing was fused to the tranny! Neither of us, nor his pops, who is a mechanic, knew what was up with that. We tried to pry the sun of a bitch off and nothing happened. So we threw a new disk on there, ran it for a few miles past the break in point and the fucking tranny locked up shifting into second gear. Freaky shit man.
peace

i've never heard problems with ACT.
Trey is FAR from an amateur.

He was in bagdad when most of us were still in dad's bag =)

I dont know if I remember correctly, but dont Clutchmasters clutches have a bad reputation? Thought I read it somewhere, maybe not, i dont know.

Whoever that kid is, is a fucking idiots is obvious from those pictures he beat the crap out of that thing prolly dropping it at like 6-7 grand.....look at all the blue and the pressure plat forks are all scored :blink:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 6 2003, 05:06 AM
i've never heard problems with ACT.
Trey is FAR from an amateur.

He was in bagdad when most of us were still in dad's bag =)

Read all of the damn posts. :bash:

Back