eye candy for the uber nerds/dorks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
this is my fathers latest toy :)

Dual (2) Pentium 4 Xeon 3.6 GHz each
2 Gig memory
2 120 GB hot-swapable hard drives (8 capacity)
2 plextor dvd/cd rom burners
6 fans (also hot-swapable) (4 pushing, 2 pulling) 2.5 directly tunneled across the CPU's
temp sensors on each CPU
RPM sensors on all the fans
CPU core voltage and various other voltages are constantly monitored

only drawback is its pretty loud with all the fans, but it runs really nice :)

pics:

gallery_1242_371_24327.jpg

gallery_1242_371_36253.jpg

gallery_1242_371_19670.jpg

gallery_1242_371_3913.jpg

:)

ummm....if you dont mind my asking why do you need something like that.

I work for a multimillion dollar company...we have a P4 2.4 GHz (northwood w/o HT) running the whole show on an 80Gig hard drive.

Granted our phone server runs on 2 3.6 GHz Xeons...but why do you need anything near that for home application.

cause my dad is an uber geek and loves to have the biggests and best stuff to play with.

kinda the same way some people are with cars. theres people with 500 hp daily drivers. of course you dont need it but its fun to have. its what my dad is into.

my dad just likes computers. he wrote programs for the government for like 20 years, and now works for a computer company thats still contracted to the govt. and hes starting his own business selling high end computers. me and my 3 siblings (2 bros and a sis) each have our own computer that he built. and he has 3 different computers for himself. and all of them pretty much do nothing but run SETI. and he occationally surfs the web and plays solitare, but thats it really, lol.

Isn't that setup best used for 3D rendering? I know that could be done at home. Just trying to put up some kind of debate.

Very nice! I like the fact that the computer is actually built to true ATX specifications, unlike most of the computers you see on the market today. I'll bet mine's still louder though. :)

ATX specs? and i thought yours was water cooled?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@May 25 2005, 07:28 AM
ATX specs? and i thought yours was water cooled?
[post=503282]Quoted post[/post]​

ATX is just a lay out of the system.

Yeah, mine's water cooled- but it still has way more fans in it. I only water cooled the CPU and GPY- that way I don't overload the water charge with heat from the power supply and hard drives. I might still go with a 100% water cooled system later, but that will probably come after I go to phase change cooling on the CPU and GPU (refrigeration). Phase change cooling on the CPU and GPU would allow me to run water over the hard drives and power supply- then I only need to run one fan in and one fan out of the case, then cool the radiators and condensor.

ATX spec requires that the CPU(s) have heat sinks without any fans mounted to them, and that the air blowing over them be supplied by another fan somewhere else in the case. If you open up any of the Dell computers made before 2005, you'll see large thin fin heat sinks with ducted fans blowing air over them. That's one part of the ATX specification that everyone generally ignores.

The only reason why I wouldn't want a fan attached to my processor heatsink is vibration. Even so, I'm happy to risk it.

Eventually I'm gonna watercool too, but I need to get the Z on the road. :p

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 25 2005, 12:55 AM
ummm....if you dont mind my asking why do you need something like that.

I work for a multimillion dollar company...we have a P4 2.4 GHz (northwood w/o HT) running the whole show on an 80Gig hard drive.

Granted our phone server runs on 2 3.6 GHz Xeons...but why do you need anything near that for home application.
[post=503256]Quoted post[/post]​

The sheer power.

Linux + that = one happy Sabz

i wasnt nocking the system and the power that it gives...

My PC is a P4 2.4C OCed to 4.0 (5.2 for a little while, but that was with a solid copper block dry ice and alchahol). nVidia 6600GT 1 GB Corsair XMS RAM and a normal Hitachi 80GB hard drive.

I got my car and now the money i was funneling into my computer has now been put into that. But im starting to think the car is a better investment.

Yeah, the car is just depreciates slower... but not by much. I can usually sell computer hardware for more than I paid one year after I buy it. You can't do the same with a car.

I can only imagine how big off dent that made in your dad's wallet. Whats are those clear plastic slide looking things over the memory and north bridge? Is it some kind of air flow director thing?

yea my dad makes some good coin. his budget seems to be endless, but he does restrain himself somewhat. i dont know how much he lets himself spend on computers but i know its a lot. probably 10k or more every year. hes the kind of guy that builds something, then newer faster more expensive stuff comes out and he HAS to have it. and it goes on and on. he is sick with computers though. he doesnt just build them, he can write entire programs. i remmeber a while back (LONG time ago) he went through the lines of code for an AOL program and changed some things, just so it said his name on the AOL box when it started up, lol. its good to have someone like that in the family to help with computer problems. for example right now hes in the process of decryting some files that someone encrypted when they hacked into my half-sister's computer.

and yea that clear thing is the tunnel to direct air flow over the CPU's heatsinks. 2.5 fans pushing 2 pulling :)

oh and on top of that, he's a security freak. he puts massive firewalls on his computers. runs virus scans and spyware scans daily. and when he leaves his computers, he locks them so you cant use them without a password, and yea the passwords are always weird obscure case sensitive passwords.

and he REFUSES to use wireless. he says they arent secure enough. he doesnt even trust encrypting the router. my router i run at school i do run a 128-bit encryption so people cant mooch off my line, but he wouldnt even do that.

i think it all stems back to his air force career. he served for like 20 some years, faught in vietnam, and everything. he always told me he was a navigator for the air force, which i dont doubt. but i always suspected he was in intelligence. i later found out he WAS in intelligence, lol.

I dont trust wireless either. I have a 802 G but never use it. Its suppose to be as fast as wired, but I dont trust so everything is wired.

Back