F22 to H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Have a question.. I have a 92 prelude with the f22. Want to do a h22 swap. How do i modify to run the external coil on the distributor? Also any other tips on issues that i will run into? I know i will need to modify the exhaust down pipe, change over fuel rails, wire for v-tec, i've also heard of modifying the auto tensioner on the timing belt. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Have a question.. I have a 92 prelude with the f22. Want to do a h22 swap. How do i modify to run the external coil on the distributor?

You don't have to modify your stock distributor, just use the USDM prelude H22 distributor. Everything will be plug and play.

...i've also heard of modifying the auto tensioner on the timing belt.

It's not modifying the auto tensioner, it's replacing it with the tensioner from the H23, which is manual, (like the B-series), and is less likely to fail.

hey, remember how I was having problems with getting spark, well turns out that my ecu was USDM so i had to use my external coil and it fired right up. I was like wtf, so its now running and the sad thing is, I can't drive it. EXPIRED TAGS AND BROKE AS A JOKE!!

Why don't we just keep this on topic...

Well , as for boost I would look into the "G swap". I hear that it puts waay more torque than f22 boosted .H22 are better economically and have less issues if done correctly and less to swap because you could use about 80% of accords stock parts.

OH btw- Congrats on becoming a dad. Put that swap on hold and focus....

Well , as for boost I would look into the "G swap". I hear that it puts waay more torque than f22 boosted .H22 are better economically and have less issues if done correctly and less to swap because you could use about 80% of accords stock parts.

I've done this "G swap" back in 2002 (when it was still called an F series block with an H series head).

Can you please explain to me how an F-series block that has 2.2 or 2.3 liters of displacement would make "waay" more torque (or any more torque) than an H-series block that also has 2.2 or 2.3 liters of displacement? :huh:

Having done this swap, the only real advantage I saw by using the F-series block was the iron sleeves instead of the FRM sleeves in the H-series.

Can you please explain to me how an F-series block that has 2.2 or 2.3 liters of displacement would make "waay" more torque (or any more torque) than an H-series block that also has 2.2 or 2.3 liters of displacement? :huh:
Well like I said " I heard" meaning from word of mouth. And I would assume because of compression ratios are lower in F's. F22 8.8:1 SOHC & 9.3:1 DOHC and H22 10.6:1 DOHC

Well like I said " I heard" meaning from word of mouth. And I would assume because of compression ratios are lower in F's. F22 8.8:1 SOHC & 9.3:1 DOHC and H22 10.6:1 DOHC

So, according to your theory, lower compression equals more torque?

Motor Torque Compression
F22A1 137@4000 8.8:1
F22A6 142@5400 8.8:1
H22A1 156@5250 10.0:1
H22A 163@6500 11:1

But, for some reason, that doesnt make sense... :rolleyes:

Like I said, the only advantage with the F series blocks, would be the iron sleeves if you're going to boost. Of course, if its higher compression you're going for, you can always switch pistons with some aftermarket ones, since you can't use H-series pistons with iron sleeves...

Last edited:
Actually, if we're talking about an F23 block specifically, then you can actually produce some pretty decent numbers. An F23 block paired with an H22 head will end up having a 97mm stroke and an 86mm bore. 200+ wheel horses are possible, pretty much stock...

Actually, if we're talking about an F23 block specifically, then you can actually produce some pretty decent numbers. An F23 block paired with an H22 head will end up having a 97mm stroke and an 86mm bore. 200+ wheel horses are possible, pretty much stock...

Agreed, however, we're talking torque numbers... ;)

I stand corrected....
I think I got what I meant confused with what I wrote. What I meant was lower compression is better for boost

Oh, okay :thumbsup:, and iron sleeves > FRM sleeves ;)

Are ther any other possible Engine Swaps besides H22s. I have a cd5 and everyone is always talking about h22s. Is there a possible way to put newer accord motors in my car?

Hasport makes mounts to put a K24 in accords....

if you can go k-series than i would. but i have an h22 and as long as you build it right it is a great engine. and after everything is said and done either way you go it is going to cost money. there really wont be much of a differance,......imo

K24Accord.jpg

Here's the link: Honda Accord Engine Swap - Tech - Honda Tuning Magazine

you see where everybody goes wrong is that you can just turbo something i tried it...i turboed a d16y7 with 3lbs of bosst and blew the shat out of it you need atleast $1,000 for turbo if you put it in yourself and some kind of like hondata or something and tuned it will cost $195.00 for hondata $150 for istallation and about $400 for tuning to be completely safe i have a turboed b18a1 with 400whp right now

Back