Fast Idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Engwar

Ok, so I'm tuning up my 90 Accord, everything is stock. It has idled fast (1500 RPM) and randomly spikes to 2000-2200 PRM. It has done this since I bought it. Since I'm replacing the valve cover gasket due to a liberal oil leak, I went on and pulled the spark plugs. There was a lot of oil in the wells where the sparks reside. I don't think this is normal, but this is my first honda. The electrode was almost completly gone on every spark plug also. Could this oil and worn spark plugs have anything to do with the idle? My VSS is also dead, which I understand influences the fuel/air mix, and maybe the idle is because of that. Anyway, sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm new to Hondas and y'all seem to know the answers -
Thanks!

Just a note on the idle: I've turned the set screw as far counter clockwise as it wants to go, so I don't think it's simply adjusting the idle set screw -

The spark plug tube seals in the top of the Valve Cover have gone bad and you need to do these with the Valve Cover gasket and plugs. And no, it won't effect your idle.

Back