first time at teh dyno

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racintweek

well sat was my frst ever dyno experience, and boy did i leave happy

car:
1991 civic hatch

engine:
1992 LS
i/h/e
no cat
crazy advanced timing
11lb flywheel
exedy clutch

gallery_32920_207_61931.jpg

i'm sure you might think it was a "nice" dyno, but there was a VR6 that made ~155hp and a rabbit that made ~110hp & ~120lb/ft. both were what their owners expected

right click ,please
short vid of one of my runs

pics from teh dyno day

flame away

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 27 2005, 11:09 AM
stock pistons and cams????

no way.
[post=516904]Quoted post[/post]​

That seems a little high to me too. Integraslut78 saw 144 with an AEM V2, DC 4-1, full invidia exhaust, crower 403 cams and v/t, and a hondata s100. :shrug2:

i have quite a few witnesses to this. completely stock internals, no cams, no pistons, no shaved head, nothing.
i was kinda thinking it was the third gear pull that did it, so i had the guy try it in fourth and thats where the 139.9HP run came from.

i am as shocked as you guys are, i was looking for 125hp tops and i would have been pleased.

bah, trailer dyno. just looked at the pics. those things are never accurate.

i believe that the numbers you got are what you got- but i don't think they are what they are.

if that makes any sense.

wild bill had p30 pistons, crower 403's, ported head, i/e and made 148/124 on a realtively cool morning.
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32119

i think that dyno was not calibrated properly.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 27 2005, 12:27 PM
i think that dyno was not calibrated properly.
[post=516934]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid: That's WAY too high for a bone-stock LS.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 27 2005, 01:27 PM
bah, trailer dyno. just looked at the pics. those things are never accurate.

i believe that the numbers you got are what you got- but i don't think they are what they are.

if that makes any sense.

[post=516934]Quoted post[/post]​

makes perfect sense

i'm sure the dyno was pretty accurate, the C6 vette put down ~370, all the 1.8ts dynos looked nomal for the mods they had, teh Nova put down the 800hp the owner claimed.

the funny thing is that before i went on the rollers, a couple guys asked me what i think she'd do and i told them 120-125, but just kidding around, i told them that i read an article in SCC about an Ef rally car with a i/h/e LS that made 140 at the wheels, and i could only pray to hit that.

The last pic with that Z06 had an LM-1 WB. Was that the WB they used for their dyno? I thought dynos had integrated sensors built into it? You are probably glad those old VW's showed up, or else you would have gotten beater of the day award. :) Yes, that dyno wasn't calibrated right at all. I can see a 20 hp error on that easily. Of course, the higher the HP numbers, the less noticeable the error, so the cobras, corvettes and other more powerful cars wouldn't have noticed that error. As for the the VR6 and Rabbit, I'd question their numbers as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, that M coupe was Hotness, I have never seen one that nice looking before.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 27 2005, 02:54 PM
The last pic with that Z06 had an LM-1 WB. Was that the WB they used for their dyno? I thought dynos had integrated sensors built into it? You are probably glad those old VW's showed up, or else you would have gotten beater of the day award. :) Yes, that dyno wasn't calibrated right at all. I can see a 20 hp error on that easily. Of course, the higher the HP numbers, the less noticeable the error, so the cobras, corvettes and other more powerful cars wouldn't have noticed that error. As for the the VR6 and Rabbit, I'd question their numbers as well.
[post=516983]Quoted post[/post]​

the dyno had a built in tail pipe sniffer, must have been the the owner of the Z06

the C6 make ~400 flywheel stock, 370whp would be right on target

the VR6 makes 176flywheel hp so ~155Whp seems right to me

teh rabbit makes ~95 flywheel stock, add i/e, dual downpipe, 13:1 compression and a 288 cam and ~110Whp doesnt sound off.

an H22 hatch was there that made 170whp w/ intake only, on stock civic exhaust

all those cars seemed to have accurate results, why would my car be the only one that got an incorrect reading???

I dunno. I would just double check, that's all. Not that it's a big deal, if you kick the pants off other cars similarly equipped atthe track, awesome. I wish my LS had 140 whp when it was stock. But now that its nowhere nnear stock, I am just going to use the dyno to check the progress I make, which is what a dyno is primarily used for anyway.

would a lightened flywheel and exedy clutch help put more to the wheels??

erebunicrx made 122WHP on a completely stock LS, with the exception of a lightweight flywheel and a CTR pulley. he was running through the stock CRX Si exhaust and intake box, right down to the honda filter. and he did that with no oil in the motor, just ask B. :lol:

There are always freek engines out there. Rated hp is only the average. There will be engines that have higher or lower then rated hp rateings. My freind bought a JDM CRV engine that put about the same power to the ground as it was rated with only a POS DC header, intake and exhaust.

Yeah maybe you got lucky and have some great piston ring seal. And or some crazy mad carbon buildup on the pistons. :lol: It's happened.

Back