Front brake upgrade questions. ABS knuckles on non-ABS car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
Recently my car has started to show signs of the wheel bearings going bad. I am getting the grinding whine noise, shaking steering wheels and occasional brake grinds. A couple of years ago I got a set of ex knuckles as part of a deal I made for some suspension parts. I have been saving them to do a front brake upgrade. They are abs and My dx is not abs. Is installing them as simple as just taking the abs wires off the knuckles and bolting them on? Do I use abs calipers or non abs ones? Are the wheel bearings the same? I dont know if the bearings are bad on the ex knuckles, but I may as well change them since they are off of the car. Also would it be wise to use oem bearings or are the autozone or other parts store brands good enough?

Has anyone done this swap that can help. I really just need to know which wheel bearings to buy and if non abs calipers will work.

I don't know for sure on the ej chassis but on accords the only thing that changes between the abs and non abs knuckles is the hole for the wheel speed sensor is not drilled into the non abs units. I would think that you can use a abs knuckle in a non abs civic and be just fine.

the bearings are different

Non ABS - Outer Diameter [mm]: 73; Inner Diameter [mm]: 37.8; Width [mm]: 39.9
ABS - Outer Diameter [mm]: 79; Inner Diameter [mm]: 43; Width [mm]: 38

I am pretty sure I can use the knuckle as well. I am more concerned with whether there is a difference between replacement parts like the bearing or the calipers. Can non abs bearings be used in an abs spindle? If I buy new calipers does it matter whether that are abs or non abs? I have read enough to know that people do do this swap. I just can't find out what replacement parts to buy.

Thanks E. So I guess I should just stick with abs components for replacement. Will there be any problems that you know of with this swap, or is it just plug and play?

should be plug and play

but yes stick with EX w/ ABS components for the front brake.hub related stuff going forward

pretty sure the EX uses a different caliper than the DX... along with different rotors

Thanks again. I do know that the rotors and calipers are different. That is why I am going to do this swap instead of just fixing the bad bearing. The rotors are slightly bigger. So my thoughts were more surface area means more braking power.

Back