fuel problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicowner

I have a 1996 honda civic cx with a d16y8 98 si computer.....car will not hold idle until its warm..its having intermittent power loss around 3 grand it will bog down until i push gas pedal and it regains power...it will rip when i put foot to floor through all gears only when im cruising it will get the power loss...and all in all it has alot less power in general i thought fuel pump, did flow and pressure test all fine...checked for vacuum leaks replaced o rings on injectors and intake mani gasket....new plugs wires....compression is fine...threw on a throttle body i knew worked ( for sensors)... new cap rotor.....changed dizzy to one i know works...swapped computers with a friend who has a 98 si...ive checked timming multiple times...took off exhaust to check for plugged cat....the weird thing is if i change the fuel filter and keep the car at full it seems to run fine for a few days til i let it go down which makes no sence at all....ive looked in gas tank and took out fuel pump it all looks to be ok visualy ...i cannot figure this one out any help

ya i have like 3 times because every time i do it seems to run good for a bit....i was told about a balloon affect in flex lines today so im gunna try that

The fact that it runs fine after a fuel filter change is weird. I had a similar sounding issue before. Check the TPS positioning. When it's out of wack, it will behave like that. Won't want to cruize but will rip thru all gears no problem. Very touchy if your trying to drive really slow too.

thats exactly what its doing and it makes zero sence at all...i have changed the whole throttlebody sensors and all with a freind of mine whos i know works...and it still ran like shit....right now i bent the throttle so it will actually hold an idle for me i dont want my starter frying lol its a weird problem thats for sure.

When was the last time you checked you valve lash? I had a surging idle, did a valve adjustment and it went away. If the valves are loose, then it would have idle issue. Just a thought.

You dialed the tps to .5v closed throttle, ~4.5v wide open throttle?

:)

Backprobe the TPS with a paperclip or similar. It HAS to be set right on the money or things don't run right. This is what I grabbed off H-T right quick:

Testing the TPS sensor:

Turn the key to ON(II). Set your digital multimeter to measure voltage. At the rear of the TPS connector, break through the insulation of Red/Blu wire with the + probe and the Grn/Wht wire with the - probe. At fully closed throttle, you should measure about 0.5V and, at WOT, you should measure about 4.5V.

picture_3271.jpg

Back