Full size truck shopping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
The lease on my Tacoma is up I bought it out and find myself sitting with about 8k in equity for kbb trade in value. Thank you Covid!

The back seats in it aren't cutting it with the rear facing car seat, and i'm about to have another one in there in Jan so that means my driver seat is going to be pegged up and that's not something I want. So, it's time to move up to something with a much larger rear seat so that I can sit all the way back with a rear-facing carseat strapped behind me.

I'm looking at 1-3 year old full size 1500 trucks. There's a few Denali's near me priced pretty well, but the back seat looks MUCH smaller than the Ram's. The f150 just... meh, it doesn't look nice until you get to platinum trim which is way over budget.

Any opinions on the bigger back seat? I really want leather, but it's not a deal breaker... it's easier to clean up spills. That's really the consideration, but i guess i can put down a seat protector...

anyway, size looks WAY bigger, right?
i can't find an actual spec on the upper portion of the seat at a comfortable driving position to actually measure. It's not the leg room per say, it's the top of the front seat to the top of the car seat in reverse. The dealerships selling these are a bit far away so i'm trying to know what i want before i drive out there if i can.

2019 denali
640x480

2020 ram long horn
640x480

the ram is about 10k cheaper and i'm leaning that way...

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
i drive a pair of rams for sealcoating... the one i drive most of the time is a 2014 regular cab the other is a 2018 extra cab four door (sucks to backup with a trailer let me tell you) but both trucks have alot of interior space and six people can sit comfortably in the extra cab.

something else to mention, the leather drivers seat in the 2014 has held up alot better than the cloth drivers seat in the 2018.

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
yeah, the wife pretty much just veto'ed cloth, so i need to find one with leather. Looks like i need to go up a trim level the the laramie.

D16Civic

Matt
VIP
100% get a Ram. The interior space in the Crew Cab is insane and they ride like a car. I had a Sierra with the smaller back seat and it's night and day compared to the Ram. I think my Gladiator has a larger back seat than my Sierra did. Not to mention the 5.7 is much better than the 5.3. Denali would probably have the 6.2 I imagine but I'm guessing they're pretty pricey. But absolutely avoid the 3.6 at all costs.

D16Civic

Matt
VIP
If you're looking for used I would say you want at least a Laramie. That'll get you leather and some of the upgraded creature comforts. I'd stay away from anything with the electric folding side steps. There's probably a zillion big horns out there but a lot of them have cloth seats.

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
yeah, i'm leaning towards a laramie or a rebel trim. laramie with the night package is a nice looking truck.
crew cab, 5'7 box
hope it fits in the garage!

iris

hard to find used... there's only 2 around me and both are pretty high mileage. Not looking to buy new.

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
I'd never own a dodge. Junk l.

I have a Ford F150. It's great. Love it. Dad has an AT4 with the 6.2L and father in law has a full ton sierra. Good rigs. Prefer driving my f150 though.

Get a F150 Lariat powerboost. Stupid power and excellent mileage.

D16Civic

Matt
VIP
I'd never own a dodge. Junk l.

I have a Ford F150. It's great. Love it. Dad has an AT4 with the 6.2L and father in law has a full ton sierra. Good rigs. Prefer driving my f150 though.

Get a F150 Lariat powerboost. Stupid power and excellent mileage.

Eh. Bad take. Independent reviews of full size trucks have been very favorable towards Ram.

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
no complaints about our ram 2500s ;)

the trans in the 2018 went out it was 4500 to replace with a warranty. not too bad considering it being a workhorse. it has around 90k on it.

the 2014 has been solid as a rock for 100k.

BigJ

VIP
Eh. Bad take. Independent reviews of full size trucks have been very favorable towards Ram.
If the independent reviews drive them for 70k, they'd change. Neighbor had 2 lemon lawed. 2 inside 4 years!

I know 5 people that drive ram. All have lost transmissions. Why do they keep driving them? Way cheaper than the competition at the appropriate trim, plenty on the lots, and interior was def tops. Described as driving a sofa down the highway.

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
i didn't consider the f150 because the back seat looks small.

can you sit on the driver side with your seat back with a rear-facing child seat behind you? That's really my #1 criteria. 6' plus kids = no beuno

BigJ

VIP
i didn't consider the f150 because the back seat looks small.

can you sit on the driver side with your seat back with a rear-facing child seat behind you? That's really my #1 criteria. 6' plus kids = no beuno
It's a limo in there. I'm 6' and could easily go back another 6 inches. I got two kids and giant lab bro. We use it for 5 adults trips tons. Kinda small? Go drive all these rigs. They're humongous and you'll never know why you drove that tiny Tacoma for so long.

Change the gauge setting...

Also it has a flat floor. It's legit.

BigJ

VIP
Drive everyone. I did when I bought mine.

Leg room is so massive in these things. You'll be like we have so much room for activities?

Old one. Just getting bigger.

BigJ

VIP
@Briansol you drive anything yet?

I might be doing some test driving myself soon for a non-truck. Stay tuned.

SamWalt

yeah, i'm leaning towards a laramie or a rebel trim. laramie with the night package is a nice looking truck.
crew cab, 5'7 box
hope it fits in the garage!

iris

hard to find used... there's only 2 around me and both are pretty high mileage. Not looking to buy new.
This looks sick, all black color is always eye catchy and has a good road presence.

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
@Briansol you drive anything yet?

I might be doing some test driving myself soon for a non-truck. Stay tuned.
no, still shopping from the couch. no real rush, the baby isn't here till end of jan and even then, how often will we be leaving all 4 of us? not very often till spring.

BigJ

VIP
no, still shopping from the couch. no real rush, the baby isn't here till end of jan and even then, how often will we be leaving all 4 of us? not very often till spring.
You'd be surprised.....