Fun day

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, so I said fuck it, I am going to try Window$ 64 bit. step one, back everything up, easy enough, have been doing it regulary for months now, so I didn't have to much to transfer to my external.

So I pop in the disc and hit restart...starts up, and suprisingly installs flawlessly. Looks nice, a lot like XP, but not quite as cartoony. Well, I try to install my drivers...nothing, so I explore the CD, and find that yes, it does have 64 bit drivers, but they are for the one based on Server 2003 beta, not XP pro 64, so I am ass out. Well no driver for my ethernet means no internet, so fuck it...gone.

Next I decided that since I was reinstalling completely why not try some of my Linux distros? So I pop in Suse 9.2, now it installed and ran perfectly on Vmware, but it stops after intializing hardware on my real system, nothing new to day, move on to Yoper, start gets to the graphical partition screen, but doesn't recognize my mouse, and isn't responding to the keyboard, so no pocky for kitty. In goes Xandros (very nice looking distro, probably as easy to use a Linspire), well it sees my mouse, starts the install, gets to 96% and hangs. So I remove the disc and reboot. Well, it seems it finished, but not quite, as it starts to boot the kernel, recognizes hardware, them freezes. Fuck it, Linspire time. Linspire installs quick, easy, and looks nice, supports my mouse, BUT, doesn't recognize my ethernet card, so...no internet, bye bye. Ahhh fuck it Windows XP Pro Corp it is, pop it in and....

10:40 start computer
---set up loading files
10:47 start set up
----deleteing partitions from linux installs
10:49 set up formatting
11:16 set up copying files
11:21 reboot
11:22 install starts, error occurs
11:28 install restart after reboot
11:29 installing devices
11:31 time/date set up
11:32 installing network
11:33 workgroup
----copying files
11:34 completeing installation
11:35 installing start menu
11:39 registaring components
11:40 saving settings
11:42 reboot
12:10 all drivers installed
----internet, everything updated

Bah, time for a rum and coke or five.

What, that it won't work out of the box? Mine doesn't. Well it does, but I can not for the life of me get it to see my mouse, no matter which one I use. serial or USB, even configuring it in Mandrake doesn't help :(

Try Fedora Core 4, it is great as far as hardware, and www.fedoraforum.org has everything you need to get it up and running well.

But I already downloaded and burned the DVD ISO of mandrake 10.1

I hate wasting time, so I think I'll try this first.

Try it, it's nice when you can get it to work right. It's my brother in laws prefered flava.

:shrug2:

I need to redo my M$ install, but I'm lazy and don't want to do it twice when I finally get around to buying new hardware.

I almost do it for a hobby :) seems like every month I have a reason to start it all over.

Unfortunely for some reason now Fedora Core isn't loading the bootloader in the MBR, or some setting is off...I don't know :(

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 22 2005, 05:29 PM
Fuck it, Linspire time. Linspire installs quick, easy, and looks nice, supports my mouse, BUT, doesn't recognize my ethernet card, so...no internet, bye bye.

'modprobe forcedeth'

You're running that nForce board I assume. Not many Linux distros have included support for nForce based boards because nVidia fully supports Linux on their site with drivers for all their boards, however they are closed source. So the answer there is to grab a copy of the nForce drivers from nV's site and then install your distro.

For a 64 bit system, I would seriously recommend Gentoo. Now, Genny is a bit different, a bit more complex to install but the tradeoff in power and compatibility are second to none. Every single thing is compiled on the fly, optimized for your system. You'll need a working network conenction, so once again look for that forcedeth module on the bootstrap disc.

Bootstrap disc? WTF? Yup. There is no Gentoo distro on CD. Everything is held remotely on their servers, updated when new releases or fixes are sent out. You download the sources and compile them on the fly. The bootstrap disc has only enough to get your system booted, gives you basic network modules and a simple compiler (to compile GCC, you remember our chicken/egg issue). You really really need to read the documentation on Gentoo's site, but if you follow it, everything will be peachy.

Once again, abandon all hope ye who enter. There are still some things that do not work in a 64 bit world. Macromedia Flash for example. They haven't made a 64 bit version for anything. Only thing that will fix that is time.

Yea, there's no Flash for 64 bit, but the workaround is removing 64 bit Firefox, and installing the 32 bit then you can use flash, at least that's who I understand it from what I have read.

I finally got FC4 working, what a nightmare. Apparently FC4 has an issue writing to teh MBR, because I installed it five times, gave up, and installed Linspire again, which uses LILO instead of GRUB. So then, now that a Linux bootloader was written to the MBR, I tried again, nothing. So now I installed FC3, worked beautifully, and then I upgraded to FC4 from there and now it's peachy keen. GEtting it up and running is getting pretty easy once you install the new repos for yum, from there you can "yum install <anything you need>.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 23 2005, 03:05 AM
I almost do it for a hobby :) seems like every month I have a reason to start it all over.
[post=515518]Quoted post[/post]​

I've just been way too busy to do that...

Originally posted by Calesta+Jun 24 2005, 01:17 AM-->
@Jun 23 2005, 03:05 AM

[post=515812]Quoted post[/post]​

I hear that. I have been busy as hell for the last month, but now everything is on hold for some paperwork we are waiting on to get out of here, so I got some free time :)

[rant]Fuck a 10GB hard drive. I installed Linux on my old Xbox 10GB, well, I imported my music files from my Windows HD, and damn it, no space left on disc, I couldn't even download a background pic, and when I went to reboot, I met with GDM can't write logon file toblah blah blah...in otherwords....reinstall :( I am buying another 80 GB tomorrow[/rant]

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jun 23 2005, 07:37 PM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 24 2005, 01:17 AM
92b16vx
@Jun 23 2005, 03:05 AM

[post=515812]Quoted post[/post]​

I hear that. I have been busy as hell for the last month, but now everything is on hold for some paperwork we are waiting on to get out of here, so I got some free time :)

[rant]Fuck a 10GB hard drive. I installed Linux on my old Xbox 10GB, well, I imported my music files from my Windows HD, and damn it, no space left on disc, I couldn't even download a background pic, and when I went to reboot, I met with GDM can't write logon file toblah blah blah...in otherwords....reinstall :( I am buying another 80 GB tomorrow[/rant]
[post=515821]Quoted post[/post]​

Shit... I wish I had a 10GB drive. My main system has a 3.2GB drive for OS and applications and two matched 6.4GB drives in RAID-0 mode for my music.

All my systems except for my laptop have been pieced together from old parts. That's one of the reasons I run Linux.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jun 23 2005, 06:37 PM-->

[post=515821]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup. I'm waiting to build up some cash with some overtime, then the computer gets upgraded.

Sabz5150
@Jun 23 2005, 07:54 PM
Shit... I wish I had a 10GB drive. My main system has a 3.2GB drive for OS and applications and two matched 6.4GB drives in RAID-0 mode for my music.

All my systems except for my laptop have been pieced together from old parts. That's one of the reasons I run Linux.
[post=515843]Quoted post[/post]​

Damn. I'm running 250GB on the main system and I haven't bought any hard drives in 3 years...

My lappie has 80 gigs and a dual layer DVD burner so that acts as a temporary repository for larger files. The raid array handles my electronica music collection. Eventually I will upgrade to a larger array. Four 250's would be teh hotness :fap fap fap fap:

6.4 GB for storage? OMG i'd die.

I have a 60gb for my main booter and random crap that i don't care about...
temp BT files and such...
200 gb D: drive for storage
160GB iEEE external for storage
dvd burner with tons of discs burned-- especailly now than the radio in my car plays mp3's burned on DVD-r :) 4.7GB of music on one disc owns. :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 28 2005, 11:29 AM
6.4 GB for storage? OMG i'd die.
[post=517389]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I download more than that in 24 hours, and I usually have about 3 times that much data in active Torrents at any given time...

Back