Funky Temp Gauge

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mxgx12

I got a 91 crx w/ DOHC ZC. Recently, after the car has been running at full temp for a few minutes, the temperature gauge needle starts to go crazy. It'll bob up and down sparatically, and also dip in direct relation to the gas pedal. I can stop at a red light and the needle will rise back to regular level, but once I hit the gas and start accelerating it'll drop down. I believe this is some kind of sensor problem or something. I know it's not the actual engine temp, my heater works, so I know the thermostat is working. The engine is operating normally too. So IDK, It's freaking weird . anyone seen anything like this or have an idea what it could be? Any help is much appreciated

its thermostat. most likely. same thing happend to my car once. was stying open. heater will work but if it gets to cold if will blow hot air but not that hot.. change it. c what that does.

Ive replaced it. I get hot air. Heater keeps me warm on cold mornings driving to work. So IM confident its not the thermostat. Also, the temp gauge has recently stopped working all together, so Im starting to lean towards gauge cluster. Can only one gauge on the cluster fail? while the others operate normally?

Swap out the coolant temp sensor before you go replacing entire clusters.. Also check your connections at the sensors...

Check signal coming from coolant temp sensor with ohm meter to make sure its good. Also check your harness might have an intermittent connection an when you hit the gas the wire is gettting moved from the engine motion on accelerating.

Back