Geez, same engine in new Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

Same K20a2 in a new civic Si. I have a SCC Mag with a review on the "Top 10 Cars under 20K" and the Si came in dead last. The first modification it said to get was a RSX Tranny. Why didn't Honda just mass produce RSX trannys to put in the Si's? For now, it seems like the aftermarket for the USDM K20a2 seems a little dwindling now, but i sure hope they get some power pumping gear out soon. My favorite is still the B18C5 over the k20a even though it has -10 hp overall. May the Tuning Gods bestow a Giant Turbo kit for the K20a2. :worthy:

The sad truth: "But for the enthusiasts driver, there is, sadly, little soul. Ignore the racy looking seats and it's clear this car was built for someone else. Like the Mitsubishi Eclipse, the Si has gone off in search of different buyers." -SCC (Jan. 03)

dude dont start this i got bitched at last time i made these smae remarks about the new Si....and i talked about the SCC article too..-

I'm not going to make serious arguments against an Si, I still think it's a nice car and actually kind of like it, but just a little soft compared to the last (99-00). Thats all I'm saying. But damn, they lost almost a full second from 0-60 and IMO it seems like its a little weak compared to competitors.

The new honda si is a very mild looking car to start off with. But it does have a nice interior with those great looking seats. It does feel a little weaker than the older models and of course it does not have that great vtec punch that we have all come to enjoy. Due to the 2800 vetec kick which you cant even feel but she sure does pull all the way through the rpm range. When some good aftermartket parts start being made then we can see exactly how she performs against some of the later models. Yet there are some good parts to the new si, it has a larger engine which produces more torque. This car has the 2.0 liter motor in it which means that you can draw out more of its hidden power. Then there is the weight problem, this is not a light car compared to the later si's. Just add the right modifications to it like any other car and she will perform like any other.

Originally posted by h22freshman@Jan 10 2003, 01:05 PM
dude dont start this i got bitched at last time i made these smae remarks about the new Si....and i talked about the SCC article too..-

there was a diffrance, you titled your thing "Sell your honda because it Sucks ass" or something like that, he atleast is trying to have a good discussion

The 3 major complaints about the new SI is:

1. 6xxx redline, what is that about, my moms mini van revs that high
2. Shitty suspention, we want the wishbone suspeniton back
3. The thing is just to big and tall, all hondas are getting way to big because they are targeting a new market.

I've seen and read about many different "solutions" to the civic si's lack of power. The most obvious and desired would be just to convert the drivetrain to the J-Spec Type-R B) and have an improved power plant to build from. But since that option is out of the reach of almost everyone, and very costly at that since the J-Spec motors are selling for around 8 grand, another option which is being explored is the swap with the drivetrain from the RSX type-S ;) which yields the same HP and the 6-speed tranny as the JDM engine, with a few variations between the two. But that also has its complications, mainly due to a custom exhaust system requirement, and alterations in the steering system. If an engine swap is a bit much for you, the other option is to wait until the turbo kits come out from HKS and Greddy. :D Both are under the final stages of development (according to the companies) and will most likely be released shortly after the kits for the RSX type-S. It is true that there really aren't that many options available at this time for the Si, but there are some decent ones currently available and it just takes some time to find them. <_< Otherwise, give it some time. You have to admit that the Si is still relatively new to the market and I fell it was SERIOUSLY under publicized. I know alot of people I've talked to about my wife's Si that didn't know they made once since the 99-00's. Still, even though it is a bit under-powered for an Si, and doesn't have the v-tec kick we have grown to love, ya still have to give it some respect for being an Si! :p

Thank you 97JDMTYPER. This forum has been ragging on the new SI forever and I have kept my mouth shut. But no longer. Yes the SI has the base RSX engine, Yes it has a 6800 redline. And no it doesn't have the vtec kick, but it is still a great car. My mom, yes my mom, just got one and I think it's great. It's not as fast as my 97 GSR but it's roomier, nicer inside and it gets 35 mpg with a 2 liter and 2700+lbs. The reason that it is slower 0-60 is the gearing. We all learned from the Celica that makinghe ratios so that you can go over 60 in 2nd can make a huge sacrifice in accelaration. The new SI has a great launch and pulls cleanly to redline and the weird place for the shifter make for great shifts. Bottom line: the new SI is not the same little Civic everyone has. It is for a new group of owners. Which is fine by me. That is all I have to say except I hope to attend the Nor Cal meeting that si still pending and I willbring the New SI and anyone who wants a piece of it can take their best shot and hopefully we can gain some respect for this car. Don't believe everything you read in SCC.

I have an 02 SI, and it is great. It is no way slower than the older SI's, because I have raced three at the races all with the same mods as me, and have beat every single one, but barely, about half a car length. So the red line is at 6800, it still reaches 160 hp, not wheel. The older SI's (99) have a 8,000 redline and reach 160. Also, if you don't like the redline, change the Valvetrain make it redline at what you want. The SI reaches peak HP faster than the older SI's. The torque is improved due to the i-VTEC Tech. The SI is heavy, but is lighter than the S2000, by about 100lbs. I have beat a RSX, but still have yet to race a Type-S, I will probably lose but worth the shot. The only main difference about the new SI is the style and a little engine change .4 liters, better torque, but overall IMO better, because of the shifter mostly, that could make the difference.

Why is the new si so slow!!! I read the power pages i think in superstreet or sport compact, the horsepower rating and other things are high but the car is still slow. Same as the rsx, i guess the older gen cars are better. <_<

Originally posted by RicanRacer253@Jan 30 2003, 06:26 AM
Why is the new si so slow!!! I read the power pages i think in superstreet or sport compact, the horsepower rating and other things are high but the car is still slow. Same as the rsx, i guess the older gen cars are better. <_<

It is all about weight

the one real nice thing about the kseries is they respond real nice to bolt ons. I have read that some intakes were giving as much as 10+ hp on an rsx-s (little bit diffrent engine but still you get the point)

How is the SI slow, like I said I have beat the older SI's but just barely. But now that I think about it, I raced a few stock CRX SI's and they did pretty decent I only won by 2 or 3 car lenghts, I usually blow away other cars, that are that old like older Accords with Bolt ons. Is there any way to get your car lighter without taking out the seat? I now I can change everything to carbon fiber, but that is EXTREMELY EXPENISIVE just the hood is 1,000. Also does anybody knows how much a body weighs, I want the Buddy Club but everyone says that weigh your car down a lot.

OK I own a 02 Civic Si and I shift at 7000 rpms so i dont know where you get 6800 as the redline. The car cuts out or pings off the limiter at about 7100 so not that this helps much. But all in all compared to any older si's i would still take a 02 hands down. I also own a 95 civic si with exhaust headers intake came gears and a underdrive pully with a stage 3 clutch and a lightweight flywheel and the new car beat it So hey to me it is a improvment on that generation as far as a newer 99/00 si I Still beat one stock to stock by about a half a car. So overall its a pretty sweet car and we will see as new product come out how sweet it is.

okay: 92-95 civic Si's dont count they only had 1 cam .

99-00 civic si's will kill yours.

02 si's ... ummmmm slow. end of story. i test drove several. nothing impressive at all.

as far as the 6800 rpm redline. that is where you should shift because that is all that honda engineered the internals to withstand on a regular basis so you dont' blow that motherfucker up.

setting performance aside, the damn thing is just plain fugly......why pay the money for it when for a few more grand you can get the bad-ass rsx......now that's a sweet car.........it has thoroughly impressed me just riding in it.........

note to self: add rsx type-s to x-mas list....... :wub:

Well Considering I paid 13,000 for mine with 1,000 down I feel I got a pretty good deal, not to mention there is not an acura dealer for 400 miles and if you had read my post I beat a 99-00 si by half a car So you can say what you will but untill i get beat by an older Si I will stick with mine. I too have driven a rsx type s and a wrx but I felt the deal the dealership gave me was to go to pass up. after all I can always sell it to make a profit. And as far as what honda has to say changing out your factory intake results in horespower loss. and that is not true so believe what you want.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Feb 11 2003, 04:51 PM
okay: 92-95 civic Si's dont count they only had 1 cam .

99-00 civic si's will kill yours.

02 si's ... ummmmm slow. end of story. i test drove several. nothing impressive at all.

as far as the 6800 rpm redline. that is where you should shift because that is all that honda engineered the internals to withstand on a regular basis so you dont' blow that motherfucker up.

:werd: Couldn't have said it better myself--oh wait, maybe I can :)

B16A2 > D16Z6 > K20A2

And I say D16Z6 over a K20A2 becuase you can buy about 15 D16Z6's for the price of one K20A2. It's funny, 90% of the people who like the new Civic Si own one...There is a reason why the '99-'00 Si has a higher retail value than an '03.

Back