Getting away from my Honda and Truck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slo86GT

Super Moderator
NOTE! A NWS LINK AT BOTTOM OF PAGE!!!!

I've been thinking really hard about ditching my Honda and my Colorado for a while now. Nothing new. I'm up to my eyeballs in debt, and need something that's reliable enough to drive every day, yet fun to drive and can haul stuff around in since I'm running parts around a good bit.

I think I came up with a good solution.

My Colorado is fun. No doubt. But buying an expensive unproven reliability vehicle on specs alone was a mistake. My wallet can't take the note with the Honda's bills, frankly, and the truck just isn't all that I expected. 15.5 1/4 stock.. not too shabby, but I need more. Going from my 5.0 daily to that was a downer. :(

However! I've got my eyes on the prize. I want the truck that I was dreaming of when I bought this "sport truck", but I still want the feeling and SOUND of a turbo vehicle...

I can find one with LOW miles (less than 50k) in excellent unmodified condition for about 10-13k. I know it's old, but it's a collector's vehicle.

I can seriously see one of these beauties in my near future...

DSCN1433.jpg

Syclone1.jpg

syclone7.jpg

And just cause I found it while searching, here's a nice li'l pic for your time :)

http://www.sytyarchives.com/backgrounds/ba...und_007_800.jpg

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences? Legends? Input guys... I need some guidance.

Should I really sell the Honda?

The typoon and the cyclone both are still very expensive because they are collector's items. For 100,000 miles you're going to be looking at paying $8,000-$10,000 and personally to me that just not worth it. I wouldn't want to sink that kind of money into a high mileage car that factory parts would be expensive and hard to get, should anything bad happen. ...but if its the car you're dreaming about, go for it.

p.s.
you made my friggin mouth water with the last picture. she is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

damnit, i'm at work... lol

but the cyclone is a bad-ass truck. so is the typhoon

but, a buddy of mine had one for about a month before he sold it. just kept having problems with it....

something to keep in mind.

parts aren't too hard to find-- a lot of the regal 3800 series parts are the same..

but, 10 grand for an early 90's american car seems far from worth it to me...

maybe you should hold off for this:
http://motortrend.com/future/concepts/112_0203_blazer/

The Typhoon is a collector vehicle, and it would suit your purposes better to keep a daily driver with that truck in the garage.

Also, that radiator is about 3.5 feet off the ground, that chick has on 8" heels, and her ass is at the GMC... That means she's like 5' even.

Photos of trucks and asses, B - It's not really that work-unsafe.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 15 2005, 08:50 AM
Also, that radiator is about 3.5 feet off the ground, that chick has on 8" heels, and her ass is at the GMC... That means she's like 5' even.

I like the chickies tiny! petittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttte

For that kind of money you could purchase an S-10 and a 'vette swap. Of course it wouldn't be AWD..

I ALMOST picked up a cyclone for $6500 one time.. But decided on an extended cab s-10 instead. The s-10 was only $4000 and clean as a whistle.. and I was in college at the time, so a cheaper payment was gold.

b that link is from 2002, im pretty sure that its now the new trailblazer ss.
ls1 powered trailblazer, yes please. its also suppose to handle very well, something like XXX hours tested and tuned on the nurburgring. cost is suppose to be around 35-40k(sp?)

Ford lightning?? 2 year old Dodge srt-10??? get a diesel, you can make those things HAUL ASS for little money. how does 1000ft/lbs tq sound for about 2 grand?

how much can you afford?

Originally posted by jeffie7@Aug 15 2005, 06:27 PM
Out of all the trucks I can't believe you wouldnt buy a lighting. You ford lover!
[post=540440]Quoted post[/post]​

You have two choices when you're looking for speed from the factory.

1) Ford Lightning
2) Dodge SRT-10

Both are great trucks IMO. The dodge is quicker, but also carries a higher price tag in every aspect.

This fine gentleman said he was trying to get away from a car payment, guys, so suggesting brand new trucks as options probably isn't viable.

so get a used ford lightning, just make sure you buy some stock f150 tails to replace the gay altezzas they put on there... ew. they run waht... mid 13;s??

With the kind of fun you can have with a Deisel, I'm thinking about going that route. From propane injection to biodeisels, A little something for everyone.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Aug 15 2005, 07:03 PM-->
@Aug 15 2005, 06:27 PM
Out of all the trucks I can't believe you wouldnt buy a lighting. You ford lover!
[post=540440]Quoted post[/post]​

This fine gentleman said he was trying to get away from a car payment, guys, so suggesting brand new trucks as options probably isn't viable.
[post=540452]Quoted post[/post]​

Fine gentleman? hahaha =)

Anywho. They made the first lighting 12 years ago.

Plans are to use a small low interest Home Equity loan to get the Syclone (about 10k), and hopefully liquify the Civic to pay off a $300/mo loan against it, and possibly some on one of my credit cards. The Truck is getting to the point to where I can sell it for possibly more than I owe on it, so that's not too bad off either. I might wash it up nice and put it in the back of a busy parking lot like Kohl's on the main strip or something to see if some 16-18 year old will get their dad to buy it for them.

With that $600 off my monthly notes, paying for the house, Syclone, and upgrading the Mustang further will be cake.

And yes, I am trying to get away from a $300+ car note every month.

I'm putting the Civic back together currently with a safety wire kit, so I hope I can keep it running for a few weeks and get the word out that it's running strong. If I can do that, and post a good dyno graph from the dyno day we're having here on the 27th, I might be able to get the 10k (obo) I'll be asking for it and every spare part for it I own.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 15 2005, 10:11 PM
With the kind of fun you can have with a Deisel, I'm thinking about going that route. From propane injection to biodeisels, A little something for everyone.
[post=540525]Quoted post[/post]​

propane injection is the tits. there are a few diesels running around my town (two dodges and a pair of chevys) one has 1000ft/lbs of tq.... it HAULS ass. i was looking into it but they are so damn expensive initially. the only thing that sucks are the transmissions, atleast on the dodges, one guy had his totally rebuilt 2 times before getting a custom one made........ and the custom clutch cost him nearly 3k :ph34r:

Originally posted by Seany-izzle+Aug 16 2005, 12:16 AM-->
@Aug 15 2005, 10:11 PM
[post=540525]Quoted post[/post]​

propane injection is the tits. there are a few diesels running around my town (two dodges and a pair of chevys) one has 1000ft/lbs of tq.... it HAULS ass. i was looking into it but they are so damn expensive initially. the only thing that sucks are the transmissions, atleast on the dodges, one guy had his totally rebuilt 2 times before getting a custom one made........ and the custom clutch cost him nearly 3k :ph34r:
[post=540612]Quoted post[/post]​

Clutches made of pure unobtainium. What the hell can be so custom about a trans that it requires a $3000 clutch ? And why would you do that ?!

The big problem I have with the diesels out there is the choice of transmission. They are low-geared tow truck transmissions or they are very complex and soft automatics. I would love to see a truck the size of my 4Runner, with a 5 speed tranny like the 4Runner's.

sweet truck performance wise, but plastic dont throw sparks :p lol just messin with ya man. how about a Ford Lightning?? those trucks can be REALLY fast.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 16 2005, 09:06 AM
The big problem I have with the diesels out there is the choice of transmission. They are low-geared tow truck transmissions or they are very complex and soft automatics. I would love to see a truck the size of my 4Runner, with a 5 speed tranny like the 4Runner's.
[post=540670]Quoted post[/post]​

2 speed rear end and a thousand pound feet of torque

Back