Google Project Fi

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
Anyone on this yet? I was just curious. Just got my invite status and it says about 4 weeks. Just got my Nexus 6 64GB today directly from Google.

If your not familiar it's basically Google's version of Boost Mobile or like Cricket Wireless but I believe will be much better.

details here: https://fi.google.com/about/

With T-Mobile I have 3gigs of data and unlimited talk and text $68 a month. I often find I use just over 2 gigs or sometimes 1.5 even as little as 1gig, as I am usually on Wi-Fi or use my work Iphone(which as of yesterday got upgraded to a 5s from a 4s).

With Google Fi I would sign up for the 2 gig plan with unlimited talk and text which I assume after taxes would be about $48 a month. what's awesome is that you get credit on your bill for unused data. So for instance If I had the 2 gig plan and only used 1 gig, I would get a $10 credit on my bill making it roughly $38 dollars that month.

So I was just seeing if anyone on here is on it and yet and had any feedback?

have an invite, saw the cost, deleted the email.

a $700 phone and a base price higher than my additional lines with at&t, no thanks

a $700 phone and a base price higher than my additional lines with at&t, no thanks
can't you sell the invite for $100 or something?

Its $549 through Google or $499 for the 32GIG.

You have to pay for any phone no matter what. There are no free new phones. Other plans let you roll the payments into your bill but your still paying for them

For me I sold my GS4 for $200 and the minimum of $30 savings a month wipes out the cost of the phone the first year.

I bought my s3 in cash for $50 like a year ago. no contract nonsense that costs 15-25 a month!. when it breaks, i'll buy another one for $50 cash.

the nexus 6 is cool. but not 10x price point cool. I'll wait for it to be $50-100.

its tied to your g+ account, so i don't think so
yeah I don't think you can.

I guess the only down fall is that only the Nexus 6 works on it so you need to get one. Worked out pretty good for me because I was going to upgrade my GS4 anyway and wasn't going back to Samsung and wanted a Nexus 6 for my next phone. Tired of not getting all the updates and bug fixes until a year later.

yeah, i have the s3, and there's really no point to get the s4, s5 or s6. lol a little better camera is about the only selling point for me.

tech is stalled out.

Let us know how it goes. I'm interested in this a bit. I am probably going to switch to cricket in the interim to save a few bucks a month. Paying about $100 and would like to get to $50.

The easiest way to get the the price down without going to a lower tier provider is to go in on a family plan with a couple people.

The easiest way to get the the price down without going to a lower tier provider is to go in on a family plan with a couple people.

my friends do this, its a hassle, people use more data than others and they want more money from the person, but if it wasn't for that person joining their rates would be higher..yadda yadda yadda...collecting the money seems like a hassle too

well, if you get responsible people who don't stream youtube while not on wifi, it's really a non-issue. i've never come close to using my data cap. i don't think i've gotten half way to 6gb. 3 is about all we use combined

or you go to tmobile that bills each line of the family plan separate for their data. screw the whole 20gb of shared data. my line has unlimited 4g (free upgrade woot! I only use maybe 2gb on a busy month though...) my mom only has 1gb and the other two have 5 and 7. no overages though which is nice, they just throttle after you hit your limit. I pay $45/mo for unlimited everything. bought the s5 off CL for $350 literally about 2 or 3 months after it was released.

Wow I just saw the Verizon receipt for my work Iphone 5s. The plan I am on is the More Everything SMB Plan with unlimited talk and text and 60GB!!!!!(yes 60GB, not 6GB) of data and the plan $225/m. WTF are they thinking signing up for plans like that. I wonder if and how many people may be sharing it.

They must be getting a really good deal at $225 a month for 60GB because on VZW, the More Everything for Business 60MB plan is $450 and up to 50 lines.

Crazy

The cool thing about Project Fi is how they handle the data usage.

Normally you're buying the 'potential' of a certain number of gigs. If you have a 3 gig plan, you can use up to 3 gigs each month.

With Fi, if you buy 3 gigs for $30 a month, you buy the actual data. So if you use only 1 gig in a month, you get a $20 credit on your bill. It's not a temporary rollover thing like some companies offer, the money is refunded.

And vice versa... If you go half a gig over, you get charged $5. And it can pull from your credit from not going over on other months.

still, if you use 1-2 gb, at&t is cheaper. lol

Where on earth are you getting this from?

I just did Mock plan purchases on AT&T:

A single person plan from AT&T is no where near as cheap as Google Fi. First off, AT&T doesn't offer a 2GB plan, it's 1GB or 3GB at $65 or $80 month respectively. And Google Fi is way cheaper than AT&T for 1GB plan at $30 a month compared to AT&T's $65 a month. And it's also a hell of a lot cheaper to go over data limits on Google Fi as they only charge you $1 per 100MB overage where AT&T charges $20 per 500MB as soon as you go over your 1GB limit. So if you have a 1GB plan with AT&T and use 1.5GB you get charged an extra $20 for that 500MB!!!!

Hell 3 lines on one AT&T share plan sharing 6GB of data is $216.40 a month before taxes and fees. That's $72 a person with a 2GB per person allowance. 2Gb plans on Google Fi are $40 a month.

From AT&T site:

Overage:
$20 per 300MB on a 300MB plan, $20 per 500MB on a 1GB plan, and $15 per 1GB on all other plans. Overage data must be used in the billing period it is provided, and does not roll over.

dont know where you are getting prices from... i have 3 lines, 6gb, and its less than 130 with taxes

Back