got a ticket. options?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
so last week i got a speeding ticket. 59 in a 45. 14 over, not too bad. i intended on just paying it, since i got the ticket in WV and points dont transfer between WV and MD. until i called the court and they told me it would be 180 bucks. to me thats really high for 14 over, in MD that would be a 75 dollar ticket.

now heres the deal. i was leaving my girlfriends house, she just moved and ive only been on this road like 2 times. i honestly didnt know the speed limit until the cop told me. now im not claiming ignorance as an excuse, and i was in a little bit of a hurry, but i did some digging, and it turns out that from where i pulled off my girlfriends road onto the road i got stopped on, to where i was actually stopped, there are NO speed limit signs. i drove down the road today to be sure, and sure enough, theres none.

so i could fight it based on this, or just pay it. the only thing im worried about is that i got pulled over last year in WV doing 26 over. i just payed the ticket ($200) and was on my way. im just worried my previous ticket will hurt me.

what would you do? do i have a chance to win if i fight it?

Here in CA, there's something called 'prima facie' speed limits. If you don't see a speed limit sign, you're to 'assume' the proper speed limit based on the area. I am assuming you have something similar there. If there is, I doubt you have a feasible argument, but it won't hurt to try. Usually when you at least fight the ticket or even just show up in your defense, they'll knock a chunk off the fine and possibly even nullify it as long as you have a valid argument. What's hard about it, is the speed limit is higher than the normal for residential areas... the Prima Facie for a residential area in CA is 25. So, you're to assume it's 25 unless otherwise posted. I don't know if you have laws like that where you are...

Last edited:
yeah its assumed in all areas if not posted.

just pay it ;) if it doesnt transfer to insurance then be glad you didnt get a ticket in MD.

find a lawyer. it should cost about $250, but it might help if you are worried about points or insurance.

as far as fighting it, they don't care. they will tell you that somewhere down the road was a speed limit sign, or entering a town there will be a sign. don't waste your time trying to fight it alone.

If your record is clean, talk to the D.A., plead guilty to the reduced charge, then go to traffic school.

best thing to do is just pay the fine .

DONE !!

I just got done arguing a 80 in 65 ticket... I wasnt going 80 ... I took off the day from work to fight it . I lost 200 for the work day plus the 164 bux for the fine . and the asshole judge has nothing to say except FU. Fuckin redneck hillbilly courthouse. The place didnt even have parking . The court room was as big as my bathroom . The judge didnt even want to hear anything I had to say... And yeah the car was calibrated and also it was correct. But didnt mean anything to him . calibration cost 140 ...

So I lost my ass

I wouldnt walk in trying to argue a speeding ticket without a lawyer. So 250-500 for lawyer. Plus one day lost pay. and if you dont win .... Plan on paying for than the 180 . Court costs isnt added in that 180 ...

The road you were driving on .... A back road with out yellow divider lines ?

seeing as how you were doing 59 in a 45 the only way you could justify your rate of speed is if you thought you were in a 65MPH zone

and picturing in my mind what your average 65MPH zone looks like compared to your average 45MPH zone; if you thought you were in the former then you shouldn't be on the road at all

pay the fucking ticket

personal reponsibility FTW

no, seems to be a fairly main road. single lane on each side divided with double yellow line.

some what you guys say, seems im just gonna eat the cost and pay it

seeing as how you were doing 59 in a 45 the only way you could justify your rate of speed is if you thought you were in a 65MPH zone

and picturing in my mind what your average 65MPH zone looks like compared to your average 45MPH zone; if you thought you were in the former then you shouldn't be on the road at all

pay the fucking ticket

personal reponsibility FTW

well just a little further down the road the speed limit changes to 35, and then up to 55. on the same road. even if i thought the speed limit was 55 (which could be a rational assumption given the speeds i see other people drive on it, and other similar roads with higher speeds in WV) i could get my charge reduced.

but its moot. ill probably end up paying it. i just wanted to see if this was a big thing you could get off or reduced for.

you might be able to get it reduced .... maybe ,...

Good luck with it !!

For $180 just pay it. Shit in NJ you can't get a ticket for much less than that. Moving violation or not. God I love this state.

well for comparison, in MD. last time i got a ticket was 2-3 years ago. i was doing 83 in a 65 (on I-70 on the way home for winter break) cop reduced me to 74 with a fine of like 70 bucks. went to court, pleaded guilty. judge asked about my record yadda yadda, went to reduce me further, realized i was already in the lowest speeding bracket (thanks to the cop) and he just gave me a 24-hr probation and $35 charge for court costs. and every other time ive gotten a ticket in this state, it has had either the fine or the points reduced or both and never paid more than 70.

but yea, looks like im paying it.

fighting tickets has gotten me nowhere except paying more money. in both instances that I went to court and tried to get a reduced fine, i ended up paying $50-80 more than if i had just paid the ticket.

just pay it. and that ticket is cheap.

i got a 79 in a 65 once, and it was 380 bucks. 14 over as well.

its cause he lives in CT. i knew B was gonna bring up his ticket, lol.

Wow thats insane... I can't imagine someone earning minimum wage or close to it having to shell out that much for 14 over. In Ohio most cops won't pull you over unless you are 15+ over .

that was 4 years ago too... that was in the del sol, pre swap.

i'm sure its over 400 by now for that fine.

I got a ticket for 89 in a 70... even though i was doing well over 90. Fine: 160. Had the cop been an asshole, it would have been '20' over, making the fine 250. Traffic school was 120, so I paid 280 to not have my insurance go up... not too shabby... now keep my nose clean for another 18 months... :D

Back