Grindin Gears!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecsi95

I have a question. I have a b18b1 in my 95 Civic DX Sedan with a Clutchmasters stage 1 in it. I just had the clutch put in a month ago. Yesterday when I was driving whenever I would shift in to third gear I would hear a grind when I was over about 4,000 RPM's. It doesnt grind when I drive it normal, just when i am trying to go fast. It doesn't do it when i just start the car and it's cold. What could this mean??????? Do you think I need to change the tranny fluid or could it be the clutch? HELP?!?!?!?! :wtf:

Also as a side note...I wanna get another engine swap. I like the LS but I want more power and I wanna go all motor. I just wanna throw in a GSR or something so I can start KICKING NAMES AND TAKING ASS!!!! Does anyone know a good reputable place or website where I can get a nice, legal, engine?? Thanks again. :whip:

So does that mean that my synchro's are messed up for sure? How long till they go out completely? (A rough estimate I know it depends on driving conditions and all that) Great..and I have only had this engine for like 3 or 4 months......yay :angry:

fuck the syncros you dont need them .... learn to match your RPMs on shifts and you will be fine :) (been doing it in my del sol for a while now lol

matching gears (the quick explanation).... when you shift there is a change in the RPMs due to gearing differences.... you either time it so the RPMs drop to right around (within 100-200) where you will be in the gear you are upshifting to..... or as you downshift you tap the gas to raise the RPMs to the correct level for the lower gear.... at this point you will slide directly into gear with no problems... if you know how to shift without the clutch this is pretty much the same thing only you have a slightly larger window for getting into gear smoothly

Honda transmissions have notoriously weak 3rd gear synchros... I don't remember the specifics why, but mine does this too a little bit.

Change out your transmission fluid with genuine Honda MTF, and continue changing it on a regular basis. I change mine every 10k miles, but you really don't need to dump it that often. Swap it out every 20k or so and you should be fine. If you drive it really hard, change it more often. 3 quarts should be all you need- so $15 at the dealer and half an hour playing under your car every 10-20k miles is all you need. Learn to match revs on shifts like E pointed out, and your transmission will last all that much longer.

calesta just mentioned what I was going to say. Honda MTF owns. It cured my hard shifting in cold weather and slowed down my 2nd gear grinding. I think I got an extra year out of the tranny because I switched to MTF.

Originally posted by jeff@Dec 26 2002, 10:21 PM
calesta just mentioned what I was going to say. Honda MTF owns. It cured my hard shifting in cold weather and slowed down my 2nd gear grinding. I think I got an extra year out of the tranny because I switched to MTF.

:werd:

Originally posted by vtecsi95@Dec 25 2002, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know a good reputable place or website where I can get a nice, legal, engine?? Thanks again.

go too www.jdmrecycler.com its in ca. so if u dont live in ca then nm. u might have to call cus they dont list some of there stuff on the web site. there very good got a zc swap there and it runs like a bitch hehe.gonna get a vtec swap there too.

Back