Grrrrr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
After I finally got out of class today (3:30 been there since 8 AM) I went by the machinist that is doing most of my machine work for me. I was taking him the Eagle rods so he could balance my bottom end. I walk in there and he looks at the rods and says "Why did you bring those?" I said So you can balance my rotating assembly. He says We don't do that. I was thinkg WTF??? I talked to him about it when I brought the engine and he never told me that he couldn't do it then. He told me that I was going to have to take my crank to Russ Hall (the guy that was supposed to do my bore but couldn't because he can't handle a bore smaller than 3.5"). Then he says "Your stuff is finished, you can take it all home today." I am now thinking well maybe this is okay, I go to Russ today and see if he can have my stuff balanced by tomorrow afternoon. No such luck. The crank is polished and beautiful with no need to resize the main bearings, the valve guides are in, and the 3 angle valve job looks good. Cylinders 1,3,&4 are beautiful, bored to 81.5mm and honed to 60 deg hatches. Except #2. The guy "forgot" to disengauge the honing stones before removing the tool from cylinder 2 so now there are a few scratches that run all the way up that cylinder. :angry: They are going to try and fix it with a slight rehone tomorrow morning. If they can't and have to go to 82mm I am going to be real pissed. They are going to be buying me some new pistons. [/rant]

Woah. That would make me super pissed.

I'd definatly make them buy new pistons if they fuck up the bore.

Depending on how many miles the engine has on it, they would really have to fuck up to have to bore out to 82 to fix it.

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Feb 13 2003, 08:02 PM
Depending on how many miles the engine has on it, they would really have to fuck up to have to bore out to 82 to fix it.

If they scored it deep enough on the 81.5mm bore to not be able to hone it out, they'd have to bore to 82mm... unless you want to have some 81.7mm pistons made or something.

I had the shop bore out to 81.5mm because the walls were in bad shape. If this score is deep enough they might have to go to 82mm. If they need to replace my pistons I will take what ever they want to supply me with. I could feel the scratches with my finger, but I didn't check to see if they caught my nail. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

If I had the money for a resleeve, I would have. I'd love to run a 2.0l LSVTEC. :)

:crosses fingers: here is to everything turning out okay. This engine has had more problems since I tore it down. It's like an omen... <_<

I got the block and head back today. Everything looks good, they didn't have to rebore. :sigh of relief: The rotating assembly is currently being balanced. I should have everything back tomorrow. I order new bearings as soon as I get the engine back and that should be the last of the stuff I need to order.

i'm curious, did you get a girdle for your block too?

No, but it is in the queue. I had a limited budget on this build so I got all the things that I knew needed to be done now. A girdle is up there with a Hondata and Skunk2 Stage 2 cams. :)

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 13 2003, 09:52 PM
If I had the money for a resleeve, I would have. I'd love to run a 2.0l LSVTEC. :)

all hail 2.0L LSVTEC!!! :p

sorry to hear the machine shop fucked up, hopefully everything will come out nicely and you will be happy... make them re-sleeve and get you new pistons, 2.0L coming right up! B)

They fixed the bore. I am happy because they didn't add any down time, but a little bummed that I didn't have an excuse to go to 84mm sleeves. I can't wait to start assembling this engine. I will take pics as it progresses.

I have a question for all you experienced engine builders. Do I need to check the valve pistons clearance with the VTEC follower engauged? If so, how? I planned on claying the engine, but I am not sure how to keep the VTEC follower locked to the other two.

I saw on Endyn's site that they make 86mm pistons for the B20. Has anyone run these yet? Did have an 86mm bore cause any problems?

I would think that you'd want to check for clearances with the VTEC followers engaged... but I don't know how. I'll ask Phillip tomorrow if I remember.

I'll be running the Endyn 85mm pistons in my block, but that's with Golden Eagle sleeves. I'll let you know how they turn out. The GE Monster sleeve in the B block is supposed to handle up to an 87mm bore without any problems, so I don't see why 86mm would be an issue.

Mmmmmm 87mm B series. A 2.1l b series would be sick.

If you could let me know on the valve clearancing I would appreciate it.

Well, I'll be running 2020cc in my block, so it's a tad over 2.0L. I'll find out about the valve clearancing and let you know.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 14 2003, 06:53 PM
I have a question for all you experienced engine builders. Do I need to check the valve pistons clearance with the VTEC follower engauged? If so, how? I planned on claying the engine, but I am not sure how to keep the VTEC follower locked to the other two.

if you have your helms, its in there. there is a hole in the head near the vtec solenoid that you need to plug (i've done it with my finger, but it kinda hurts, find something else :)) then you hook up compressed air to the inspection hole in the solenoid 36-71psi, and give it air, this will lock the rockers.

Shit, that won't work. No Compressor. Is there any other way to do it?

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 17 2003, 11:31 AM
Shit, that won't work. No Compressor. Is there any other way to do it?

Blow really really hard. Have you tried the ghetto "inner-tube for an air container" trick to get your 30-60psi?

Back