GSR n/a and nitrous tuning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gtdrummerdude

I put my car on a dynocom dyno which is supposed to read like a mustang dyno. Made 145whp/122tq. My afr started up at 13.2:1 and came down pretty much linear as rpm increased to a final afr of 11.8:1. I was told it needs to be tuned to sit at 12.8:1 all the way across. Is that worth any power? Seems like I made low hp for the tq it put down. On a 75 shot with the correct jetting (.042 nitrous/.028 fuel- NOS jets) my afr was 9.0:1. I had to go down to a .022 fuel jet just to get it up to 10.4:1. I don't understand why the "correct" 75 shot jets made the car so rich. Suggestions for n/a and nitrous tuning as far as fuel is concerned are appreciated.

Going leaner will net you some power, but 12.8 is getting a little tight, especially if you're going to spray nitrous. I've tuned all motor setups out to about 13.0:1 air:fuel without any problems, but you'll want to make sure your timing maps are trimmed in well too.

FYI, stoichiometric (perfect ratio) for gasoline vs air is 14.7:1, and peak power is usually made at a slightly richer (lower ratio) mix than that on all motor setups. Forced induction tuning, which to me includes nitrous, usually pushes down to the 12.0:1 range or lower on a good setup.

There is a LOT more info out there than the quick guideline ratios I laid out here, so read up to make sure you don't blow apart your engine.

Good luck!

Back