Gsr Pistons In A B18b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
I am trying to put together a Ls/turbo motor for my civic. i can get these pistons :spin: cheap :spin: and was wondering if they are good for around 6-8 psi of boost?

Those are higher compression pistons.

Which is something you don't want. You want low compression.

6-8 PSI... ? Maybe.. you could try it. 6 is pretty low.

But... come back and blame me if it blows your motor or piston rings :)

I would just keep the stock LS pistons for boost over the GSR... correct me if I'm wrong someone.

There is no way i will ever boost over 10 psi. And the boost is at least 6 months off so i would be driving the car until then with the ls motor na.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2003, 11:30 AM
There is no way i will ever boost over 10 psi. And the boost is at least 6 months off so i would be driving the car until then with the ls motor na.

Thats fine. Don't race anyone :)

Take the "cheap piston" money and go buy some Valves, Springs and Retainers and do your top end.

Dude when my civic is pushing 230 hp to the wheels with 8psi of boost i will rock yor shit every day of the week.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2003, 11:35 AM
Dude when my civic is pushing 230 hp to the wheels with 8psi of boost i will rock yor shit every day of the week.

Huh?

I'm just telling you to not buy the GSR pistons and use the money on something that you are going to use down the road.

You don't want high compression, so why buy them? And then go through the trouble of getting them installed etc.. You'll have to rip the motor apart for that.

Go to Crower or Skunk2 or somewhere and buy some Valvetrain components (they aren't expensive) and do your top end (head) with the money you would have wasted on the pistons.

the pistons are going to be like 20 bucks. 70,000 miles on them. what kind of cr am i looking at? what kind of valvetrain components are you talking about?

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2003, 11:45 AM
the pistons are going to be like 20 bucks. 70,000 miles on them. what kind of cr am i looking at? what kind of valvetrain components are you talking about?

$20 for the pistons sure (10.0 compression USDM)...

But how much in labor, unless you're going to do it yourself, to get them installed?

A couple hundred probably.

If you take your car in, they will have to pull the motor, take it apart, ring the pistons, seat them, and build it all back up.
Thats a waste.

For the $250 or so you could get new Valves or Valvesprings and Retainers probably.
Much better of an investment if you ask me.

They won't necessarily help your performance right now, but you'll want them later. And you can do the work yourself.

Rent a spring compressor from Kragen or where ever, and have some fun.

I am still puting together the motor. It isn't in the car yet. I have the head now and am trying to pollish the valve cover. I am trying to find a B18b block so if you know anyone who's got one i would greatly appreciate help finding one, but to get back to topic i wanted the pistons to take better advantage of the head work i am going to do. And 10:1 compression isn't that bad for only 10-12 psi of boost as long as i have enough fuel inthe mix to keep the detonation away(right???).

who do you recomend for the valve springs and retainers?

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2003, 12:00 PM
who do you recomend for the valve springs and retainers?

They are a cheap upgrade to your head.

They are stronger than stock under high RPM's.

If you're still building, why not just buy a GSR bottom end instead of the LS?
It will come with pistons already seated... with less miles probably.
Although... I guess under light boost the 10.0 compression won't make a big deal over 8.5 or 9.1 (Crower again)... as long as you REALLY don't plan on boosting more than that.

And why do you keep uping the PSI? You started with 6-8 now you are at 10-12. You're going to blow your rings I can feel it.

You can also get Crower camgears for 126$ each... another good investment.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2003, 12:24 PM
They are a cheap upgrade to your head.

They are stronger than stock under high RPM's.

Who? you didn't say. Monday-Friday=8psi Weekend=12psi.

Get it?

Got It!

Good.

j/k

I did say, about 10 times. CROWER.

Anything over your Mon-Fri PSI and you're going to need internals work.

I wouldn't plan on running 12psi stock on 10 compression in an LS block...

What do you think of block guards, i forgot to say i plan on using one from iether nuFormz or Golden Eagle. this will be installed prior to motor assembly when i am running n/a.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2003, 12:35 PM
What do you think of block guards, i forgot to say i plan on using one from iether nuFormz or Golden Eagle. this will be installed prior to motor assembly when i am running n/a.

I don't know much about those.

I don't plan on running N/A :)

Or if I do it's going to be at insanely low compression before I buy a Turbo kit, and I just won't race anyone.

The Turbo is the last thing on my list probably...

I can already see $10,000+ in things to buy before a Turbo. Thats sad isn't it?

how much boost do you want to run? are you going to be on the bottle too? oh yeah that crower stuff looks like the shit!!!! :D

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jan 30 2003, 12:40 PM
how much boost do you want to run? are you going to be on the bottle too? oh yeah that crower stuff looks like the shit!!!! :D

I'm not sure about boost levels as in PSI.

And no I doubt I would be on the bottle.

I have times I want to get, and the PSI will be dependant on that.

Here is a breakdown.

$1100 Tein SS suspension w/ Pillowmounts
$1000 17" Rota SubZero's w/ Tires
$600 Crower Valvetrain (Springs, Retainers, Valves)
$400 Crower Cams
$250 Crowr Camgears
$1100 Bore/ Sleeve 84mm
$2300 Crower Stroker Kit
includes: 9.5cr pistons, crankshaft, crower rods.. pins, rings..etc..
$2000-3000 turbo kit t4/60-1 (probably)
$? Rear disk conversion
$1000 break kit

$? I/E/H
$? Fuel Rails / Injectors w/ Vafc of course
$300 Intake Manifold w/ throttle body

i dont know.. i know i'm missing a couple things.
just my mental notes heh...
to much money. :spin:

Oh yea.. 3 angle valve job..

Dyno time.. Tuning..
Not to mention Labor for the bottom end stuff, unless I learned really quickly how to put together pistons, rods and cranks :)

The engine would probably never even be fired up until I got the whole bottom end done. Since I wouldn't want to have to keep pulling it out.

1. GSR pistons won't fit LS rods with out machining the LS rods down.
2. Even if you got them on the LS rods they would up the compression (not much because if there is a dome on them it is very small) some.
3. If you want to boost go get some Eagle rods and some Endyn low compression pistons, they are stronger and better than the stock counterparts.

What kind of times?

I want to run low 13s with full interior. i am going to run some Axis VPD 16". i got 15" rota slipstreams for the winter and those are light as hell!!!!!!

What kind of tires are you going to run?

are you planning on staying streetable?

lsvtec Posted on Jan 30 2003, 12:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. GSR pistons won't fit LS rods with out machining the LS rods down.
2. Even if you got them on the LS rods they would up the compression (not much because if there is a dome on them it is very small) some.
3. If you want to boost go get some Eagle rods and some Endyn low compression pistons, they are stronger and better than the stock counterparts.

i want to run the motor n/a while i save money for the turbo. Also before i assemble it i will install a blockguard of some form so that when i decide to go boost i wont have to pull EVERYTHING apart.

How much boost would be possible on a car running 10:1 with strong rings, rods and pistons and block guard and a well tuned ecu?

Back