gsr sounds like it's cammed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sonazty

from the very 1st day that we got this swap up and running in my wife's car, it sounded like it's got upgraded cams. It's got a chip/base tune from anthony in eastern idaho and 2 1/2" exhaust all the way through with just an intake and header and now a skunk2 IM. it just sit's there at idle and lopes like a smaller version of a v8? the rpm's might jump about 50 rpm's (you can barely see the needle move) i cleaned the IACV and still no change. it's an obd2 motor so no FITV plate on bottom of throttle body to clean. no codes/cel. checked all sensors and they are clean. thought it might be the tune, took it out and put it in my buddies gsr hatch, and it doesn't make the same sound. took off the distributor to check for grooves and end of cam and nothing, all smooth just like stock cams. no stamping marks on them on the end or on the cam itself. the cams do look brand new with no wear marks on the lobes. motor has supposedly 130,000 miles but checked with 210 compression across the board. anyone have an idea of what's going on or how else to tell if it's got upgraded cams without taking it out and degreeing the cams with the wheel?

forgot to add this, dont know if this will help out but. Her coupe with this stock motor gsr swap with just base tune beat out buddies gsr swapped hatch with intake manifold and ITR cams by 4 cars up to 100mph. this is with her driving ( and she and my buddy are pretty good drivers) anyway he got pissed that his itr cammed gsr hatch lost, he went and got it tuned by anthony, now we are dead even bumper to bumper. doesn't make sense that a stock motor gsr in a coupe could keep up with a tuned itr/gsr hatch. she also walks on out other buddies hatch with a stock gsr in it by about 6 car lengths. not sure if this helps out or not but everyone else says that she has to have cams cause there isn't anyway her heavier car with less done to it should be able to beat/stay with these lighter cars.

Could be high compression pistons.. Those numbers are a little high. Or re-grind cams. Check the lobes with a micrometer.. That'll tell you for certain.

Put a dial inicator on a mag base and zero it out on the base circle of the cam or on a rocker that is sittin on the base circle, then measure the total lift. The only thing thatll tell you is rather or not the cams are stock. If theyre not, I dunno how to measure duration with em in the motor.

from the very 1st day that we got this swap up and running in my wife's car, it sounded like it's got upgraded cams. It's got a chip/base tune from anthony in eastern idaho and 2 1/2" exhaust all the way through with just an intake and header and now a skunk2 IM. it just sit's there at idle and lopes like a smaller version of a v8? the rpm's might jump about 50 rpm's (you can barely see the needle move) i cleaned the IACV and still no change. it's an obd2 motor so no FITV plate on bottom of throttle body to clean. no codes/cel. checked all sensors and they are clean. thought it might be the tune, took it out and put it in my buddies gsr hatch, and it doesn't make the same sound. took off the distributor to check for grooves and end of cam and nothing, all smooth just like stock cams. no stamping marks on them on the end or on the cam itself. the cams do look brand new with no wear marks on the lobes. motor has supposedly 130,000 miles but checked with 210 compression across the board. anyone have an idea of what's going on or how else to tell if it's got upgraded cams without taking it out and degreeing the cams with the wheel?

forgot to add this, dont know if this will help out but. Her coupe with this stock motor gsr swap with just base tune beat out buddies gsr swapped hatch with intake manifold and ITR cams by 4 cars up to 100mph. this is with her driving ( and she and my buddy are pretty good drivers) anyway he got pissed that his itr cammed gsr hatch lost, he went and got it tuned by anthony, now we are dead even bumper to bumper. doesn't make sense that a stock motor gsr in a coupe could keep up with a tuned itr/gsr hatch. she also walks on out other buddies hatch with a stock gsr in it by about 6 car lengths. not sure if this helps out or not but everyone else says that she has to have cams cause there isn't anyway her heavier car with less done to it should be able to beat/stay with these lighter cars.

Drag racing is a very precise and scientific way to determine cam profiles. :rolleyes:

Measure your cam lobes, carlengths will tell you jack shit, and therefore tell US jack shit.

Back