H22 EK swap guide

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TRICK_Z28

Yes i know this is not the guide yet but i am looking at making it the guide. i have a verry under powerd 1996 cx hatch that will not do past 140k, verry hard to keep 100k. i am looking at the H22 for the Hp and torque i want. i have fallen short on my weeks worth of web surching. there is alot of people saying how much not to do the swap and there idea of if it should be done or not but no real info. well i want to end that with any info on doing the swap i can get so i can start this thred. i need to know what will be needed. i know that i need the JDM h22 witch is on its way, custom axles, not sure what ones, mount kit, but un sure about shifting linkages. i have also hurd about the H22 having a timing belt tensoner problem that could fail destroying all your hard work. any links will be helpfull and any input will be awesome.

1. I am finishing up on my H22 swap into a 94 cx. The swaps are similar between the EG and the EK. Yes, there is a lot of people that talk bad about the H22 swaps saying that they are "so heavy" and "bad for autocross." All these arguments are unfounded and based on guesses by people with generally no experience in the subject. Based on the extras(A/C, Power Steering, etc...) that you had before and will have with the new engine, you could be looking at an almost stock weight.

Honda-Tech.com: Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000): To settle the H22 Vs B Series Weight Arguement I bring you this... (pics)

2. As for the manual tensioner swap, google has some guides. There generally isn't a problem with the auto tensioner as long as they are installed correctly. The problem comes in when you start to put in new cams, cam gears, and other things that can cause more drag on the system and stress the auto tensioner.

H22 Auto to Manual Timing Belt Tensioner Conversion - Accordingly Done

3. For axles - Something like this would work well.
eBay Motors: H23 F22 EK cv axles shaft 1996 up civic into h22 400hp (item 120171920516 end time Oct-20-07 19:19:35 PDT)

4 .I personally am using HCP mounts. From all the research that I have done, they are the best. Hasports are almost as good and everything else isn't worth it. I am sure that other people will have different opinions but that is my experience.

5. You will need to switch to a cable linkage from your solid linkage; which means you will need to cut a hole in your floor. I have pictures that I will post on this too.

6. I suggest having general matinence done on the engine before putting it into your bay. Timing belt, clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/throwout bearing, pumps if you think that you need them. There are alot of small costs that add up. Hang on to your old engine because you might need parts off of it(wiring harness, sensors, etc..).

I am at school right now but when I get home later today, I will put up all the websites that I saved for my research. You will also want to look into:
wider tires to help put down the extra power- 205/50/15 or 205/45/16 should be good/widest tires you can get. The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels
new suspension- I am using Eibach springs and Koni struts.
rear disc conversion- It's different for EK than EG, but I am not sure how. Google it.
and more that I will try to think of and update later. Let me know if you have more questions.

this is what you need to do to make the swap easy,,h22a,with tranny, motor mounts,h22a ecu or a chiped one 1990-93 accord intermediate shaft, 1990-93 integra axles, prelude shifter and shift linkage. or you can use the accord stuff. you need a del sol top rad hose and a ls lower hose, a smaller rad fan or cut up your stock one to fit,. and you you might want to get a 90-93 accord fuel rail.

Honda-Tech.com: Hybrid: [FAQ] ***H22A into Civic EG/EK INFORMATION Post all H22A Hybrid info here***

This is mainly for the EG but I am sure that you can use most of the information in here.

JDMshit - Performance Parts & Accessories Supplier

Here are some pictures.

Home Page

Pretty good site. Has nice pictures and good information.

Honda-Tech.com: Hybrid: Road Racing my H22 Civic on stock suspension....

Some information about the alignment of the HCP mounts.

http://www.jayweiss.net/honda/92-95-helms.pdf

For "backup purposes" only!

Honda Civic H22 Swap - Car Version 2

Lots of pics...

https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/h22a-3rd-gen-db-dc-integra-29122/

3rd gen teggers are the same as EGs (pretty much)

H22 Into 92-95 Civic Swap Info - CivicLand Honda Civic Forums

This is compiled from the hondatuning magazine website.

Don't get discouraged. There is alot of misinformation out there. If you ask questions here I will answer to the best of my ability. I highly suggest that you find someone that has done the swap before into an EK as they will be the best resource.

hey guys, I like all the information but I am doing a swap into my 91 civic hatch and where can i find all the parts for those? what difference is there in the swap?

i had a chance to trade my half done b16a2 for a h22a4 complete long block and i
turnd it down

jus bc i didnt want to cut up my 98 civic my loss

i had a chance to trade my half done b16a2 for a h22a4 complete long block and i
turnd it down

jus bc i didnt want to cut up my 98 civic my loss
2 choices one small hole to cut,or h to b swap, no cutting at all

The swap(H22A into 91 hatch) can be done. With a turbo is a different story. The EK has a "fair" amount of room for an H22, the EG is a tight fit and the EF is very tight. EF is the smallest bay of them all. I can fit a turbo into the EG with a bracket but it is really tight. You might be able to fit a "decently sized turbo"(ie: very small). You will have to adjust your suspension due to the fact that the H22A's oil pan will scrape if you drop it too far.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid10/p5b2b1f6383eb2fcc9cbd29bb69dadee1/fe096546.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid10/p09163eaa06fe7d2e0a1cba35aaa4162e/fe096603.jpg

The swap can be done, but it's really tight and I don't know why you would want to punish youself like that ;). As for the turbo... I honestly don't know, it doesn't seem like it but it is possible and I haven't found anything so far... but with money anything is possible.

well how much extra hp do you think I would get without a turbo and just putting money into the engine? Because really I want a lot of power but I was trying not to go turbo.

Extra HP? It depends on what engine you are starting with. The USDM H22A1 had much less power than the JDM H22A. Of course the JDM Type-S made alot more power than either of those.
https://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ba-bb-ca-cd/h22adelsol-s-h22a-swap-guide-32252/

Good ways to get more power/performance from your H22 include:
JDM Type-S Pistons 11:1 CR
High Performace Cams
Polish Ports
Hondata/ECU Tuning
Lightweight Flywheel
Lightened Crank Pulley/UDP
Intake
Headers + Exhaust/Full Exhaust
Polish Intake Manifold
and more.

You can easily pull 250hp and 175 ft/lb trq with reasonable NA tuning. In a civic with an H22, the turbo is not really necessary and somewhat of a pain in the butt, do to the FRM. Resleeving the block and buying new pistons along with the turbo set-up becomes expensive and time consuming. You will need to replace many other components to make the 400hp that you can then put down worth trying to put down. The H22 is a respectable amount of power stock especially in the civic and minor modding puts it into a quite competitive realm very quickly.

In my opinion, you would be best off with a good susension mod, thick sticky tires, a couple minor power mods, some light-weight mods, and losing whatever weight off the car that isn't needed/wanted (ie: I kept my interior and sound system but removed A/C and power steering.)

Last edited:
I have a 93 hatch with the jdm red top h22a swap and when i have it in idle and rev it up... it blows black/blue smoke that smells heavily of gas. My o2 sensor isn't hooked up yet... but could that really be the only problem???

HELLO GUYS IM NEW TO THIS SITE BUT OK HERE IS MY QUESTION I HAVE AN EK I'M TRYING TO SWAP A H22A4 INTO IT. BUT MY MAIN CONCERN IS EMISSIONS. AS WE KNOW THE H22 HAS AN IMMOBILIZER IN IT AND WE HAVE TO BY PASS IT. i HAVE CALLED SOME OF THE RACE SHOPS AND THEY SAID I CAN GET A JUMPER HARNESS FROM A OBD2B TO OBD2A AND RUN A JDM H22 ECU BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE THE IMMOBILIZER IN THEM AND I BE RUNNING OBD2 ALL THE WAY. THEY ALSO SAID I CAN DO A P28 CHIPPED AND TUNED AND WHEN EMISSIONS COME AROUND I CAN PLUG IN A B16 OR B18 ECU INTO IT AND IT WILL PASS EMISSIONS ASSUMING THAT I DONT THROW A CODE. BUT I DON'T KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT BOTH WAYS CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT OR HELP ME TO PASS EMISSIONS IF I DID THIS SWAP. I HAVE THE MOTOR, TRANNY, A P28 AN JDM AND USDM ECU. SO PLEASE HELP

accord intermediate shaft is junk... when you go to order h series swap axles the drivers side wont work with the f series intermediate shaft because the f series uses a female end and the h series shaft uses a male end, so the axles for an H swap the drivers side axle will have the male end... i know becuase i have ran into it now i need an h series shaft to finish my axles.

i kinda have a similar question to this one, i have a p28 in my ekh22 setup with no 02s, what o2s do i use and how would i wire them up? somebody direct me...... Also curious about what MPG ppl are getting? thanks for any help

What obd are you running your car on I highly suggest runnin obd1! Way less codes to deal with and u only need 1 o2 sensor.and from my understanding most o2 sensors on hondaswap are the same some go to a local pick and pull and get one out of the eg/ek layin around and plug it up.but make sure that the plugs arent both females or males because I had that problem and had to get another o2 sensor.
Hope this helps

hey guys im new to this forum stuff..i realy need some help..i have a automatic b16a jdm 98 ek sir. i want to swap a manual h22a. i have the whole prelude car. so i haev evrything i need, motor, engine harness, etc. etc. only left for me to get is the mounts and axles from hasport. ive been doin searching n i havent found any1 that has a jdm ek with a similar swap, but what im askn is..with the jdm ek harness being vtec already but auto, can the h22a connect rite up the ek harness if not what do i need to alter..?

i know this thread is really old but i plan on doin a h22a swap into my 98 sedan. i plan on goin obd2 just cause i hear it would be easier since my car is also obd2. but i plan on building this motor from the ground up new pistons,cranks,cams, the whole 9 yards can someone direct me in the way of a really sick set up to were i can get the most hp out of the motor with out blowin it. and yes before i here it the first thing imma do when i get it is sleeve it

1. I am finishing up on my H22 swap into a 94 cx. The swaps are similar between the EG and the EK. Yes, there is a lot of people that talk bad about the H22 swaps saying that they are "so heavy" and "bad for autocross." All these arguments are unfounded and based on guesses by people with generally no experience in the subject. Based on the extras(A/C, Power Steering, etc...) that you had before and will have with the new engine, you could be looking at an almost stock weight.

Honda-Tech.com: Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000): To settle the H22 Vs B Series Weight Arguement I bring you this... (pics)

2. As for the manual tensioner swap, google has some guides. There generally isn't a problem with the auto tensioner as long as they are installed correctly. The problem comes in when you start to put in new cams, cam gears, and other things that can cause more drag on the system and stress the auto tensioner.

H22 Auto to Manual Timing Belt Tensioner Conversion - Accordingly Done

3. For axles - Something like this would work well.
eBay Motors: H23 F22 EK cv axles shaft 1996 up civic into h22 400hp (item 120171920516 end time Oct-20-07 19:19:35 PDT)

4 .I personally am using HCP mounts. From all the research that I have done, they are the best. Hasports are almost as good and everything else isn't worth it. I am sure that other people will have different opinions but that is my experience.

5. You will need to switch to a cable linkage from your solid linkage; which means you will need to cut a hole in your floor. I have pictures that I will post on this too.

6. I suggest having general matinence done on the engine before putting it into your bay. Timing belt, clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/throwout bearing, pumps if you think that you need them. There are alot of small costs that add up. Hang on to your old engine because you might need parts off of it(wiring harness, sensors, etc..).

I am at school right now but when I get home later today, I will put up all the websites that I saved for my research. You will also want to look into:
wider tires to help put down the extra power- 205/50/15 or 205/45/16 should be good/widest tires you can get. The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels
new suspension- I am using Eibach springs and Koni struts.
rear disc conversion- It's different for EK than EG, but I am not sure how. Google it.
and more that I will try to think of and update later. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for sharing your built. I am having some problem with mine. I find that the h23 valve cover is too close to the upper portion on the driver's side strut tower. I am using the f22 engine bracket for the driver's side since a friend said it could work. I am also using a ebay conversion mount kit. It's a tight fit men🤦🏽‍♂️, can you make a suggestion ?

Back