h22 engine building ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

powerdriverh22

im getting ready to begin my h22 building and i was wanting some suggestions and thoughts on what i was planning.

Im thinking....

crower stage II cams and valve train
skunk 2 intake mani (type s Mani???)
mill head to 11.5:1 compression (maybe 12:1)
Megan racing header (cheap i know) cut where it goes from 4 pipes to 2 and add a 2.5 in collector for better flow
Bored out throttle body by jg engine dynamics
port and polish (street/strip)
hondata intake mani gasket

what i have done
hondata s200 w/p72 ecu
centerforce dual friction clutch
rc 440 injectors

i would appreciate any input anyone has

thanks a lot!!

i have stage 2 cams i might be intrested in selling, part # 63422A-2
i also would recomend the Type-S mani if its in a civic. Skunk2 mani doens't fit. i've been told.
dont buy that header.

good luck.

only reason im getting the header is because it is made out of a good stainless and im going to cut it up.....dont want to cut up a dc sports 400 dollar header. im gonna custom fabricate the megan racing header

Originally posted by nismogod@Aug 15 2005, 09:07 PM
why? that doesn't make any sense.
[post=540560]Quoted post[/post]​

i can buy the megan racing header for 130 shipped and it is made out of the same material as the dc sports header i do believe.....so im buying it so i can cut up the stainless to make a better flowing header than the dc sports header without having to buy an expensive piece.

im buying the cheap one so i dont have to buy the materials and custom fab a header of my own...i dont have that kind of time. ill put pics on here when im done

crower stage II cams and valve train - :thumbsup:

skunk 2 intake mani (type s Mani???) - Type S, or Euro R.

mill head to 11.5:1 compression (maybe 12:1) - Not going to happen with a milling job, and if you could, why? 11.5:1 is about as high as you can get on pump gas, and to achieve that you're going to have to go for aftermarket pistons. The 97-00 JDM Prelude SiR pistons will get you to about 11.0:1, but to get 11.5, you'll have to run a forged piston, and to run a forged piston in the H22, you have to sleeve the block.

Megan racing header (cheap i know) cut where it goes from 2 pipes to 1 and add a 2.5 in collector for better flow - Go with something else.

Bored out throttle body by jg engine dynamics - :thumbsup:

port and polish (street/strip) - not really necessary, but sure.

hondata intake mani gasket: :thumbsup:

what i have done
hondata s200 w/p72 ecu
rc 440 injectors
+ Tuning= :thumbsup:

ya the whole sleeving this is a bitch...i have that in the plans for later when i put nitrous to the motor and of course ill install forged pistons and rods.

the reason for the megan racing header is because it is made of a good material and i want something cheap so i can cut it up and do a little custom fab to make it flow better....me and a buddy did the same thing to his all motor b series and we made 15 hp at the wheels. not bad for 130 bucks.

mahle makes formula 1 stuff. buy em through jegs, so if you ahve any problems, jegs will take care of it.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 16 2005, 06:57 AM
crower stage II cams and valve train - :thumbsup:

skunk 2 intake mani (type s Mani???) - Type S, or Euro R.

mill head to 11.5:1 compression (maybe 12:1) - Not going to happen with a milling job, and if you could, why? 11.5:1 is about as high as you can get on pump gas, and to achieve that you're going to have to go for aftermarket pistons. The 97-00 JDM Prelude SiR pistons will get you to about 11.0:1, but to get 11.5, you'll have to run a forged piston, and to run a forged piston in the H22, you have to sleeve the block.

Megan racing header (cheap i know) cut where it goes from 2 pipes to 1 and add a 2.5 in collector for better flow - Go with something else.

Bored out throttle body by jg engine dynamics - :thumbsup:

port and polish (street/strip) - not really necessary, but sure.

hondata intake mani gasket: :thumbsup:

what i have done
hondata s200 w/p72 ecu
rc 440 injectors
+ Tuning= :thumbsup:
[post=540665]Quoted post[/post]​

i was thinking of rebuiding my engine and was wondering if this setup would be street legal...pass smog? and how reliable it would be if this was done properly by a good mechanic...20k miles, 100k miles in your opinion?

I dont know much about the Mahle pistons and how much jegs charges, but i know i saw them on ebay for 420 w/o rings...didnt check to see what shipping was.

my 93 vtec has 148xxx miles on it and i wanted to rebuild or buy new motor. How reliable would i be to only build top end?

what if i just got type-s cams, pistons and intake manifold...got new springs and retainers and new gaskets..this would be a lot cheaper than a full rebuild...how reliable would this be?

are the type-s cams bigger than regular h22a pistons-can the type-s cams and pistons be put into a regular h22a without modification?

i know i can get a fully rebuilt stock engine for a couple grand:

what if i just get:
Valve/guide job
new rings and type-s cams/pistons
Bearings/seals
type-s intake manifold

will this be good enough for a reliable rebuild that will last a good 50-75k miles...how will the type-s cams and pistons really affect the performance?
will this pass smog?
if i get new intake manifold. is a new(larger) throttle body necessary...what about boring the throttle body opening?
what kind of power increase will this create for me?

new pistons and cams will probably net you around 15-20 HP. the valve job and rings will extend the life of the engine. when you pull the head check the cylinder walls for any scoring and such...if ya got it, might wanna take it to a machine shop. If you live in tx, i am friends with a guy that just does engine work, i might be able to help you.

Originally posted by powerdriverh22@Aug 15 2005, 06:10 PM

[post=540431]Quoted post[/post]​

So what exactly is a "street strip" port and polish?
You don't have to answer that.

Honda ports from the factory are pretty nice.
You want to tune your ports for your particular set up. If you are looking for low end I would just remouve any rough spots and go through with an emory cloth. IF yoiu are looking for a lot of top end then Maybe do some port matching.
Also don't polish you intake ports. the smooth surface will allow fuel to tend to puddle .

Quoted post[/post]]
im getting ready to begin my h22 building and i was wanting some suggestions and thoughts on what i was planning.

Im thinking....

crower stage II cams and valve train
skunk 2 intake mani (type s Mani???)
mill head to 11.5:1 compression (maybe 12:1)
Megan racing header (cheap i know) cut where it goes from 2 pipes to 1 and add a 2.5 in collector for better flow
Bored out throttle body by jg engine dynamics
hondata intake mani gasket

what i have done
hondata s200 w/p72 ecu
rc 440 injectors

i would appreciate any input anyone has

thanks a lot!!
i hate hondata ecu's im yet to see one dyno good. well anyway i have a H22 and dynoed 205hp w/161 torque.. this is what i have done. fuel reg. /apex vtec cont.2gen./skunk2chip sohc ex not sure the code i think p28/weapon r intake/ kamikaze header---cheap seem to give me good hp/2.5exhaust open.no cat/h22 jdm type s pistons/clutchmaster flywheel and stage 3 clutch/unorthodox pulley/ and thats it tuned. i havent seen anyone dyno my no.s yet with hondata.

there are plenty of them. If you are not making power with hondata then the tuner obviously does not know what they are doing. You just have a chipped ecu, not tuning involved in that.

Back