H22/h23 Hybrid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OZlude

i was wondering if anyone had links to or has actually performed the h22/23 hybrid conversion??
what is actually invovlved with putting the vtec head to non vtec block??
and is the end result as good as the stock h22 or does it have a better or worse output
thanks for any help

Check it out......

click here

I've searched high and low for this information and finally found it. It's the only article i've been able to find, so I'm not totally sure how reliable the information is. I've been interested in this for quite some time, but given the lack of information, it must not be a very popular thing to do. That could be good, or it could be bad....I'm not really sure but I'm going to wait until I can get more backing on the information before I attempt it.

Puting a h22 head on the h23 block is a very good thing but also kinda bad i was going to do i have the h22 head siting here at the house but yhe only thing holding me bacl is that you will not bw able to drive the car for a long distance for some reason that what all the shop around here have told me

Take your car to Intercrew along with $2500... they'll do it for you, and do it the right way. $2500 installed and running with all parts included isn't bad at all, considering how much those heads run.

Originally posted by accordh23@Jun 15 2003, 11:42 AM
you will not bw able to drive the car for a long distance for some reason that what all the shop around here have told me

This is the equivalent of saying "My brother's girlfriend's cousin said that it might be a bad thing to do....". Can your shop explain that claim at all?

And Calesta, you're right, that's a damn good deal for the hybrid.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jun 15 2003, 10:39 PM
And Calesta, you're right, that's a damn good deal for the hybrid.

:thumbsup:

anybody know what the CR is for the hybrid? i know it can be different but i wanna know some stock figures.

You'd definatly want to get the h22 piston to bump compression. Also, the oil squirts in the block for better reliability.

$2500 is cheap! I haven't found anyone besides the dealership that will part out an h22.

Honda-tech has a sticky for the h23vtec you should check out if you're interested.

A friend of mine blew his motor on his 95 lude about a month ago and swapped in a h22 type S. The only thing wrong with the motor is he broke the crank and one of the rods and he said he would sell it to me for a couple hundred bucks. Since everyone has been talking about how the h22 has a better cooling system, then instead of swapping out the head and other parts to build my h23vtec, couldn't i just swap the crank, rods, and pistons out for h23 ones. I want the h23 pistons for the lower cr because i plan to boost. This would basicly be the same as swapping the head and i'd still get the 2.3 liters of displacement. How hard wouild this be to do and is that all i would need to swap out. I'm getting the ecu from him too. Thanks.

kyle crew,
that would not work. the bore of a h23 is slightly larger than a h22, which i figure you are trying to put the pistons and rods in. and the thing with most of these honda blocks is the boring job. most machine shops do not want to touch them unless you agree to go with iron sleeves, that there is about $400, plus they'll get you to buy a rebuild kit which is little over $500. and if you are lazy like me it cost $350 for them to balance and reassemble your engine. so its not really worth putting those pistons in, especially since you can get dished low compression pistons for a h22. or if you want a large displacement you can buy 2.6L h22 shortblock from rddyno.com for about 3.5k

i believe my machinest said the bore for h23 was slightly larger, like .020 larger than the h22. i asked him this cuz i wanted h22 pistons for higher compression for an all motor engine

Well, then the H23 must have been overbored at some point in its life (which I'd believe since it's .020 over). The H22 and H23 have the same bore, they differ in stroke.

i have heard that if you want the displacement of a h23 in an h22 you can add either the h23 rods and crank or the f22 rods and crank and make it a 2300cc if i am wrong let me know i just heard that you coulld do that

Yeah, I found an article while searching for doing this. I have a 97 Lude and was planning on swapping in H23 crank with stronger H22 rods and JDM Type-S pistons. Found all the parts but whant to make sure nothing bad will happen, or something not forseen. Is this an easy bolt in, well easy for a good mechanic anyway, or would I be better just keeping my crank, better rods, pistons, and cams???? I already have the AEM fuel rail/pressure regulator, AEM CAI, Jacob Electronics Ign, etc...

LMK

P.S. I love this forum!!!

Hey,
I'm new to this site. I hope this is what I want. I have the h23 for my 92' prelude.
The engine is stripped. I paid $500 for the whole car. I want to vtec it with an h22 head. The problem is I don't know how or where to start. It has some scratches. I have to bore the engine. What should I do?

Thanks,
Elo'rin

I will do a full write up on my H23/VTEC engine/Car when its done in a few weeks. Or less.

I will clock how many G's it does the turns at (I have a G-Sensor).
I will clock it 0-60 MPH
I will clock it 1/4 mile with street tires as it sits and drives.
And I will detail what parts and how much it all costs.

I got a good tranny with a quaife with 225/50R15 of the best tires money can buy, so I imagine it should be quick.

Jeff

everyone should read jeffs article after he finishes because he doesn't lie.... and most other people do, to make them self look not as dumb.

some stupid ricer:
"i just bolted a dohc vtec head on my civic d16"

Back