h22 to f22 non vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16efhatch

My friend has a 92 prelude with the single cam non vtec manual in it, and this guy owes him $$ and said he would trade motors for the $$. He has a 92 prelude with a h22a4 in it and a automatic in it. My question for him is would it be worth trading? And what would the swaps involve? If he does it he is going to keep his tranny in his car and the auto in the other car. What wiring differences are there and will the mounts and flywheel switch over? What problems will he come across with the exchange?

i'd say that swap is definately worth it. everything should just swap straight in. not sure about all the technical parts on this swap but searching would be a good idea. i'm sure there are plenty of posts on this swap. check it out.

well if they guy is doing a complete swap with him i dont see too much of a problem, not sure about tranny mounting brackets. but if its just the engine i think your buddy would need an obd2 harness. they might as well just trade cars and save the effort.

My buddy already owned the other car and he just did a buttload of bodywork and paint to his car. I think the h22 prelude is running as obd1, we looked and there was no conversion harness @ the ecu. What about the wiring harnesses? Will he just use his stock one and add vtec wires, and will the h22 harness work on the f22 non vtec? I dont know shit about prelude swaps nor does my friend so sorry for the questions.

The mounts are basically the same, everything is bolt up between H and F series motors. You would need to keep the stock wiring harness for each car. The Accord guy would need to modify his wiring harness for length and add VTEC plus IAB. The Prelude guy would have to modify his length, and just leave the rest, since it just won't be plugged in.

You absolutely should keep the stock harness for your car. The engine harnesses do NOT plug in the same @ the firewall.

Various other changes will need to be made, but if you keep both motors side by side during the swap, the differences will be self evident, and easy to deal with. Fuel lines, vacuum lines, EGR, and several changes are no big deal. Give yourself two days, plus a buffer period. You should have two running cars in two days no problem, but just make sure.

are you sure the engine is a h22a4??? cuz i believe that a4's are obd2, if its a1 you then you dont have to worry about too much it'll be much easier.

it says h22a4, but it is in a 92 lude. I looked for a obd1-obd2 conversion harness at the ecu but there is nothing. Could the guy with the h22 be running obd1? The guy had pfi in colorado do the swap so its hacked together. Both cars are 92 preludes.

I'd be really careful if the wiring was hacked to get the engine to work in that car. PFI usually does decent work, but switching OBD's is sometimes tough, and trying to get an already-hacked engine into his car could be even tougher. Plus, if the car isn't running tip-top as-is right now, he could be trying to offload the engine to get rid of his headaches.

Advise your buddy to get the money he is owed, and buy an OBD1 engine from a reputable source if he really wants an H22.

I know the kid and he really wants to keep his motor but has no income. And by hacked I meant the vtec wires, they were not soldered and shrink tubed. They wire twisted together with a twist connector( dont know the real name). I think the stock harness was left alone, whats the obd2 vtec ecu code? P13?

Back