hard breaking, low pressure, long stoppage time

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxnsi

i've just replaced my old pads.
break does not work like before, now i have to break really really hard for the car to stop, and it doesnt even stop all the way. so what's the fix?

the pads have not "bedded in" to the rotors yet

to break in the pads quickly, do this:

1. Accelerate car to approx. 35 mph.
2. Apply brakes using light to moderate effort to reduce speed to approx. 5 mph (DO NOT stop, if possible).
3. Repeat 1 & 2 at least 10 times allowing 1/3 mile between cycles.
4. Allow pads to cool. (continue driving with as little brake use as possible)

your pads should now be fully broken in and giving you full stopping power

E, from what I have read from manufactors like Cobalt friction, your only doing half of what you need. First you need to heat the pads up. Basicly, your one through 3 steps heat them up, but you should only apply light pressure. Next you have to accelerate to higher speeds, first getting up to 50, then apply much harder pressure (DO NOT LOCK UP) to around 5mph, then go up to 55, then do it again. Next, 60.....65....then 70. Then go home, do not stop. If you have to stop at a light, do not hold the brakes. If your on a hill, just keep burning that clutch lol.

if you heating them up like they said does not work then you might have to bleed the brakes to get the air that you might have in there out, it happened to me on my accors before i tested it though(thank god)

Well, definitely bleed the lines before you go and try to bed in the pads... air in your lines won't do you much good if you're trying to hit the brakes hard from 70mph.

If your pedal is not mushy, then you don't have to bleed the pads. However, a good fluid should be used with pads because if the pads are still in there useable heat ranges and your fluid starts to boil, then what good are the better pads?

Back