Head swap or replace engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ichigo1174

VIP
I've already had a thread where I said that I was gonna get a D16Y8 or a D16Z6 head to put in place of my D15b7.
I could get a D15B (96-00) head shipped to my door for $300 (+/- $50) (is this too much for a head?)
But the main reason why I'm asking once again is because my brother says this is too much for just a head (He is also cheap)
I also found a Z6 head shipped to me for $110 but he said there was some valve issue like they needed adjusting or the valve lash was off.

But here is my problem.
The engine has 220K to 221K miles on it. Runs just fine, and no problems.
I'm worried about my rings, If i get a head and put on it should I worry about the rings giving out or anything else giving out?

(assuming I'm getting the D15B if its not too expensive)
I was gonna get a Z1 timing belt, water pump, OEM headbolts and a P28 and run vtec wires.
I'm tired of waiting to do anything to the engine of my car and my budget is about $800 and i live in South Carolina of all places, so trying to find a honda engine (any engine decent or broken) is about as rare as finding Jimmy Hoffa.

Please I just need some imput. :confused:

Last edited:
Did I post in the wrong thread? i know I'm asking some stupid questions but I'm just looking for some input. Like I never swapped a head before and was just wondering if there is anything I should be worried about using an engine with 220k miles.

Back