HELP A NOOB PLEASE! :D Wastegate/PSI/etc..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JFH

I recently bought a 98 Accord. I just got it swapped for an imported stock motor with around 40-60k on it. The accord had turbo and I wanted to remove it but getting all the stock parts to make it stock would cost too much so I kept it on. I have a few questions, if you guys would be so kind to help/answer for me. :)

Wastegate
It was missing the wastegate so I bought a 38 mm Godspeed wastegate. Currently has a 7lb spring. 1) Am I supposed to connect a line to the bottom nipple on the wastegate to the turbo nipple? And what should would I connect the top nipple of the wastegate to? I have a boost gauge in the car. The gauge in the car reads 23 Hg. Or vacuum term I'm guessing. 2) Since I will not/am not going to do internal work to the motor was would be the safest psi to run it ?

Also I need to get the car tuned right? The distributor was put on by me and the timing is off so what to do?

I'm a NOOOB please help? :/:confused:

Thanks! :))

1) address the timing issue first. having the timing off is a great head start on destroying your engine. especially with forced induction.
2) the top port on the wastegate is conventionally used for a boost controller. the bottom is for a boost only source (right off of your turbo would work), but this is all on a TiAL wastegate, i have no idea if yours is different, but i would guess not.
3) as far as tuning, youre going to need a chipped obd1 ecu and someone who knows how to use crome, neptune, etc.

also, 23hg seems too much vacuum, check the car for boost leaks

Thanks for your help Matt :]
How would I access the ecu itself? Or how can I tell if it already has it? Since it was a show car and it was fixed up before so there's a chance it might already have it right?

For the boost leak, I'm sorry like I said I'm a noob at this. Is a boost leak like where the air would be escaping such as a hole in the intercooler tubes or such?

My friend recommended I take it to a place called Dyno Tunes. How much do you think it would cost me to get what I need done?

Also, would it hurt if i drove the car to the shop?

Thanks for your help Matt :]
How would I access the ecu itself? Or how can I tell if it already has it? Since it was a show car and it was fixed up before so there's a chance it might already have it right?

For the boost leak, I'm sorry like I said I'm a noob at this. Is a boost leak like where the air would be escaping such as a hole in the intercooler tubes or such?

My friend recommended I take it to a place called Dyno Tunes. How much do you think it would cost me to get what I need done?

Also, would it hurt if i drove the car to the shop?

does the car have a wideband in it? (something that tells you the air-fuel ratio - in numbers, NOT lean/rich/stoich)

a boost leak usually occurs in the intercooler piping. it is anywhere that air can pass through that it shouldnt be able to, the system should be air tight except for a filter on the end of the turbocharger.

take the lid off of your ecu, should be five screws. one on each of the four corners, and one inthe middle. when you get the lid off, you should see something like this:
HONDA-DEL-SOL-96-98-B16A-B16-VTEC-CHIPPED-OBD1-P28-ECU-for-sale_150482120141.jpg

notice in the far bottom right corner, theres a big black chip that says SST on it. that is the chip, and if your ecu has one of those all youre giong to need is a proper tune.

No, it just has the one that says lean and rich and stoich, right now it reads rich when the car is on I havent driven it yet but will tomorro cause I just got the smog today.

what is a free/cheap wa to find out if i have a boost leak?

For the ecu, where is it located? o_O

youre going to want a wideband. the unit that is in the car right now is a narrowband, and isnt accurate enough for decent tuning, or even a measure of where your car is at.

this is the cheapest way i know to really detect a boost leak:
Boost leak symptoms video and DIY boost leak tester
(scroll down for a parts list and directions)

i believe the ecu in a 98 accord is on the passenger side. if you are sitting in the passenger seat of the car, its going to be in the top left corner (if that makes any sense) of the floor. near the center console.

yeah that is a virgin ECU, and i believe its obd2 anyway. youre going to need to do an obd2>obd1 conversion and get a chipped ecu. get the car tuned for the turbo setup and youll be good to go.

Back