Help!! Computer problems....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jared759

VIP
Ok just got done with a new build and I'm having trouble installing the operating system. Its Windows Vista 64 bit. Everytime I try to install, the files load then after the files are supposedly loaded I get this Error:

Files: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Info: Windows failed to load because is missing or corrupt.

Here are my computer specs:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Motherboard
E8400 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1BG GDDR5 Graphics card
OCZ 2gx2 ram
Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler
Western Digital Caviar Green 1Tb HD
Roswell 700 watt power supply
2x Sony Optiarc cd/dvd drives

I've tore this computer down and reseated the CPU, made sure everything was connected, tried a new operating system disc, and a new harddrive.

I'm completely stumped. Someone help? Need anymore info let me know I'll be glad to give it to you.

Edit: Do I need to install the mobo drivers first? I didn't on my last build, OS first then the mobo software the GFX card drivers. Man I'm so lost.

Last edited:
your boot files and/or ntoskrnl.exe is mostly corrupted. or could be the hdd itself.

anyway, if the OS is downloaded, try re-downloading a new copy or check MD5 file if there is one. also you can try reburning it at a slower speed.

you can also try installing with only 1 stick of ram. sometimes vista doesnt like 2 for some reason.

good luck

oh yeah, and no you do not need to install anything except RAID if you are running one.

ps you can try these "fixes" as well. when installing the OS make sure you do a clean install, meaning you delete and format and install on a new partition. also you should check you drive errors. when installing windows, you can choose recovery console. after you get there, type this in command prompt "chkdsk" without qoutes.

Last edited:
I've already tried two brand new hard drives and two brand new copies of vista. When installing I don't even get an option to choose anything. As soon as the "Windows is loading files" screen goes away I get that error.

go to BIOS and set everything to default. and try with only one stick of ram. the copies are retail pressed or burned copies?

but this seems like a disc or dvd drive error. you can also try running 1 of the dvd drive and if one doesnt work, switch the other one in. it could also be very likely that your motherboard needs a BIOS flash and dvd drives need a firmware upgrade.

I've tried with one stick of ram I'll try with one dvd drive. I appreciate all the help even if it doesn't fix it. Anything is better than nothing.

mm...im kinda stumped too because the file that is corrupted is a boot file and that error usually does appear until you install the OS or while copying.

new hard drives can be DOA too, but its unlikely that two new ones are. still havent mentioned if the vista discs are burned or retail pressed. if its two new retail ones, then im completely stumped.

but like i said, im welling to bet its the disc or disc readers. if you have a usb flash, try imaging the copies to it and boot and install from that.

They are retail copies. I used the same type of drives on my other build and they worked fine. I did find a bios update for my mobo though.

Flashed my bios, still nothing. I'm stumped. :(

sorry bro, im out of ideas too. its safe to assume all the drives are sata and set up correctly since it wont boot up and load the cd if the wrong drive is set to boot.

could it be a RAM problem? try swapping in a different set of RAM if you have access to them. the power supply should be more than enough for what you have, even if its a rosewill.

when it POST, does it detect all the drives you have correctly?

do you have access to another windows cd? like xp or even windows 7 rc? so you can ran check disk and fix boot. maybe a linux distro might have that function but then again its a different file structure, nfts vs ext3

I have to ask, why not install windows 7? isnt it like 20 bucks to upgrade from vista?

okay after browsing this page, the thing came down to the RAM being bad:

0xc0000098 - Cannot Install Windows Xp / Vista : 0xc0000098

Did the RAM come as pairs? It could be both bad. Also, are you running them in spec? Sometimes the motherboard will not know the RAM needs more voltage as it will tend to run default JEDEC timing and voltage. So check your RAM spec and then set them manually (if you can) accordingly.

HOLY FUCK THANKS. The voltage on the ram was way low. THANKS A MILLION.

Edit: Damn it got to the green bar loading screen then blue screened. :(

STOP c0000218 (Registry File Failure)
The registry cannot load the hive(file)
\systemroot\system32\config\COMPONENTS
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

Last edited:
Not running raid and I only have one ram stick. :( Occasionally after the mobo logo screen it loads a black screen with the blinking underscore and does nothing.

In the memory diagnostic tools I get to 01% and then it freezes after saying Hardware problem has been found....

that actually happened to me the other day with windows 7 install. after it installed, i had to have the disc in or it wouldnt load anything and just blink with the underscore. for me it my loader that was fucked.

are you able to get to recovery console?

lastly, i suggest running memtest to see if the ram isnt bad.

Back