Help Me Out....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MoneyMike

alright....i just got my sisters 92 hatch and i got some $ for xmas so i wanna do a motor swap......i have a little more than 2500 i really dont care about how long it will take me to do the swap b/c i have another car to drive while i am doing this..... so i was thinkin about the b18c1 or the b16a2.....can someone help me with this choice?

b18c, the b16a2 is from a 99-00 civic si, it's obd2 which means more hassle. And the b18c1 has more horse and tourqe. Not really much to think about here, get the b18c1.

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Jan 4 2003, 09:10 PM
b18c, the b16a2 is from a 99-00 civic si, it's obd2 which means more hassle. And the b18c1 has more horse and tourqe. Not really much to think about here, get the b18c1.

The b18c also may be obd2, he didnt specify what year it was. And speaking from experience, the only hassle you have to go through when going from obd2>obd1, is selling the obd2 ecu and picking up an obd1 one. In my case, i actually made money by selling the 2000 ecu and buying the obd1 unit. However if you get the b16a2, you will need the integra wiring harness, but if you get a obd2 b18c then you should be fine.

My vote goes to the b18c by far, lack of torque is a bitch

Originally posted by MoneyMike@Jan 4 2003, 08:34 PM
i have a little more than 2500

save up a couple hundred more bucks, you'll thanks us.....get the b18c

Originally posted by MoneyMike@Jan 5 2003, 06:58 AM
sweet thanks for the info....um here is the next question.....how much is the b18c?

b18c 94-01 $3300 "complete" changeover 180hp 126lb (jdm) 170hp 121lb (usdm)
b16a siRII $2350 "complete" changeover 170hp 113lb(jdm) 160hp 111lb (usdm)

I agree with B,buy in your range,for what you have you'll be happy.With a $1000 in in my pocket i'd be happier.

hmm.....well this is what i wanna do, my target is 12-13's id be more than happy....is 12-13's possible ( economic wise ) on an all-motor solution or would i be more cost effective to do a turbo?

lets say i get the b16 and a turbo and some basic bolt-ons (exhuast, intake, pullys) would that put me in my range?

what about the b18 and a turbo and the basic bolt-ons?

what do yall think?

i might have only 2500 but i can wait about 2-4 months and i could easily pull another 2gs.....

12s + all motor = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
12s + ls + turbo = 5000
:)

Originally posted by MoneyMike@Jan 5 2003, 01:33 AM
hmm.....well this is what i wanna do, my target is 12-13's id be more than happy....is 12-13's possible ( economic wise ) on an all-motor solution or would i be more cost effective to do a turbo?

lets say i get the b16 and a turbo and some basic bolt-ons (exhuast, intake, pullys) would that put me in my range?

what about the b18 and a turbo and the basic bolt-ons?

what do yall think?

i might have only 2500 but i can wait about 2-4 months and i could easily pull another 2gs.....

first.. i have seen a b18c with itr cams/pistons, short ram, and exhaust go 14.4 in a 96 hatch with 15 inch rota's.. so, its doable to go faster...

turbo? you wont be able to use "bolt ons" except exhaust.. you dont use a CAI, or header.. you could use a TB and shit.. but that isn't basic bolt ons.. basic around here are.. i,h,e.. If you wanna turbo, go LS.. complete swap around 1200-1500 bucks for a low milage swap.

IMO ls/t ownz vtec/t.

so what yall are sayin is that an ls/t will donkey punch an vtec/t?

what if i got the ls and did the vtec swap on it and then did the turbo?
would that defeat the purpose of the ls as a good "boost car"? (isnt the ls the un-vtec motor?)

but with out the turbo would the ls get donkey punch by an b18 or b16?

the ls would give me more money to play with an get everything done quicker but i dont wanna have to do this again (motor swap)with this car id rather go ahead and spend the cash and do it all once instead of doin it 2 times....would the ls make me happy?

ok....as soon as i buy the motor id have to wait some time to get more $ to buy the turbo... so during this time what would i do if i got the ls motor? just let the car sit?

about what time would the ls/t and the ls run in the hatch???

thanks for the help....

No it wouldn't donkey punch it.As far as what you'd do while waiting to turbo...drive it.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 5 2003, 02:52 AM
No it wouldn't donkey punch it.As far as what you'd do while waiting to turbo...drive it.

B posted a lil bit back.. a b18c/t and ls/t... b18c made more power on the dyno, but ls ran faster.. why? b/c of the useable power in the powerband.

If you go ls.. just let it set.. b/c if you buy a CAI, you will sell it later and be out money. You could buy a nice 3" exhaust and lay it in the garage until the swap.

when vtec engages it opens the exhuast valve earlier then a non-vtec engine.. if the boost is going into the motor then right out the exhuast.. that is a waste!

Chet will tell you that the gsr is abetter platform.. but, its opinons here.. nothing wrong with it.. a vtec/t will make more power and if you can tune it to be put down in a good range, then you will be faster.. but, be prepared for wicked dyno time to get it all squared away..

also.. go hondata or aem b/c the FMU with the turbo kit (if you buy a kit) is a, IMO, cheap fix to a real tunable setup.

It didn't offer which one is better I stated that it wouldn't "donkey punch" it.I would say bitch slap it is more accurate :lol:

i see what yall are saying....so basicly the ls motor is a stronger motor for turbo aplications?

but if i dont get a turbo.... than an b18 or the b16 would be better N/A motor?

let me tell yall where im comin from......in my "group" of friends there is some decent cars: spec v's, 99 si, z24 cavilier, 300z and some domestic...... i wanna be able to beat them the fastest car in the group is a stock 99gt stang.......he runs like high 14's my goal is to just kick all there asses.....

i dunno im lost..... :unsure:

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jan 5 2003, 01:43 AM
i have seen a b18c with itr cams/pistons, short ram, and exhaust go 14.4 in a 96 hatch with 15 inch rota's.. so, its doable to go faster...

the 92 hatch, depending model is lighter then the 96 hatch. The guy had the Apex N1 exhaust also. So, 14.4 while literally smoking the tire off the line. Get it to hook up and run a good 14.2 or so. Do more to the motor and run faster.

Originally posted by MoneyMike@Jan 5 2003, 01:02 PM
...spec v's, 99 si, z24 cavilier, 300z and some domestic...... i wanna be able to beat them the fastest car in the group is a stock 99gt stang.......he runs like high 14's my goal is to just kick all there asses.....

Well the best way to do that is with an LS turbo (more than 2.5k) but beating these people is doable.

..spec v's? What country r you in. Spec v as in s2000 spec V?

usa as in sentra ser spec v

2.5k... huh ....what are you talking about im not fallowin you?

what is the best place to buy a motor at online?

If you're just aiming to beat a 14 second mustang... there are a lot of applications which will do that.

Under 2.5k? Maybe not so much.

Go to H Motors to see prices in general for swaps. You can figure to add on a few hundred for shipping also (and many trannys come with an optional 300$ LSD which I would invest in).

The 1.6 is fast, but seriously, 1.8 is a better application from pure displacement.

Here is a thread I started a while back thats shows many Pro's and Con's to each engine.

After much debait (and not thinking much about the LS), I've decided to go LS/T when I get the money saved up and spendable (blea, bills.)

i could wait a couple of months and have like another 1-2000 more to put into the motor.......

so... the ls motor is about 1500? what about a trubo system?

what all would i have to do to the motor (internals) to get it strong enough to hold a decent amount of boost? (not anything crazy but respectable.....know what i mean)

with the ls motor and the internals would i be able to beat or hang with the stang or would i have to wait until the turbo to do either??

so for what i want to do i should get the ls......i want to be 110% sure with this......would the ls/t be the best motor for the job to be a weekend car that can kick a mustangs ass with a ten foot dildo while having power steering?

i dont care about a/c b/c im not drivin the car everyday......

Back