Here we go again.... ditching the genesis.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
Put the summer wheels on yesterday.

something is fucked on the rear hub. wheel won't sit all the way flush. This has been an on going problem with both sets of my wheels. Had a mechanic buddy look at it and said there's nothing visually wrong with it... no nubs and since its on both wheels its obviously the hub that's the problem.

I just hammer it on with the impact and torque wrench it on ever time I park for a few weeks and then its finally in place. dealer says there's nothing wrong with it. clearly its fucked.

Forgot one of the front wheels is bent (it balances perfect but has a visual wobble)
buying wheels = buying suspension too so I'm not 4x4'ed out... something I don't want to spend money on at this point considering the suspension is fine....

already sick of the shaking wheel.

couple that with the other issues that have come up lately and I've just fallen out of love. I think its time for me and genny to see different people.
The main warranty (non-power train) is up at 60k. I have 44k on it. So pretty soon, I'm out of warranty for the most part anyway... probably by this fall at the latest.

I owe 7k on it.
kbb has it listed for 17k in good condition so I should have a bit of equity in the car. call it 15k on a trade. that leaves about 7k equity give or take to play with.

I was really looking forward to not having a car payment for a while, though.

I was thinking about a 135i for a while, but they just want too much for them still. cpo's are 35. f that.
I'm thinking maybe taking the 7k and buying something cash... of course, that will probably come with it's own set of problems.

ugh

I need to hit the lotto. (or a deer, because that would solve my problem for me. lol)

I know you're not really into leasing, but the equity you have in that thing would allow you to damn near prepay a 2 year lease on something if you so desired. You don't seem to drive a lot of miles, you'd have no payment, and no repairs to worry about either. Just food for thought.

If you buy something else you're just gonna be starting another thread next year when you're ready to get rid of it. :)

Don't want a lease. I don't like the restrictions that come with it....

can i take it for a spin before you trade it in?

also i'm curious if you have a bent wheel stud or something.

This isn't going to happen tomorrow obviously... I'm just ranting because I'm annoyed with it.

I want want want but don't want to pay for it. lol

I don't think there is any making you happy.

Get yourself a camry and you'll have no problems. Guaranteed.

in general... people who get new cars every couple years do not retire early
whats more important, a new car now, or not working that extra 2 years?
get in, get out, and enjoy life. fuck work.

I don't think there is any making you happy.

There is. It's just out of my price range.
Get yourself a camry and you'll have no problems. Guaranteed.
i'll be bored driving it in 3 hours...

I'll probably just try to find a set of oem wheels, but since the 19s are sought after by the basemodel guys, kids want a Grand for them for some reason if they have decent tires on 'em. my tires are near end of life too. (first set).

and i'll go back to the dealer again and tell them to fix my hub.

and then do the clutch

and then get new snow tires for next year cuz these are shot now too after this season.

From the dealer its like $1200 a wheel.
and good luck finding someone willing to sell just one front wheel of their set....

Whatever you do, if you buy, don't buy new. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Get something 2-3 years old with 20-30k on the clock. It will practically be brand new, still under a factory warranty and you won't take a bath. Its the only way I can get in and out of cars without losing my shirt. That and I wait and watch until there is a private party deal and I buy low. I have also been fortunate most times to be able to sell high because I take care of my cars.

I lost about $9,000 in two years in the 335i but I was able to drive it for 50,000 miles. There were cheaper options but there would have been no way that I could have drove that car for cheaper than $370/mo, with a full warranty, and have driven 25,000 miles a year.

Same happened with the first Audi A4 but it held its value better than the 335i. We will see if this second A4 does alright too. I bought older, cheaper, and higher miles this time around so I am not sure I will be able to get out of it near what I got into it, at. Overall this will be much less of a loss - bought cash @ $13,700 before TTR and hopefully get out around $8,000-$10,000. The sacrifice is that I was driving an older car (5 yrs old vs 2 to 3 yrs old) and I did have to pay for maintenance (which did not account for really anything more than oil changes and the inconvenience of not getting a service loaner).

Unless you have wipe your ass kind of money, I just don't see how people purchase new cars every few years.

92Accord_LXSedan.jpg

Pay someone to fix it when it breaks. Get bored? Run it into something. That'll be fun. Then go buy another. For the price of 2 car payments.

From the dealer its like $1200 a wheel.
and good luck finding someone willing to sell just one front wheel of their set....

there are genesis wheels on the VT forum. which ones do you have?

There's really not may of them out there. I honestly see one or two a week at best. the used parts supply around here is next to nill. there's nothing on craigslist. There's 1 result from some 20" chrome ghetto fab things....

'10-12 19" track/rspec wheels is what I have

car-part.com
most junkyards on that site will ship
the hub issue sound like corrosion either in the wheel or on the hub itself.
i'd try to clean both up and give it a go. clamping the wheel down with the wheel studs/lugs will eventually lead to failure.

I'm going to the dealer next week. it will be looked at again.

if my wheel falls off before then, good. I hope it totals the car out too. lol

Back