Hey look it's an SR20DET vs KA24DET thread!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
Alright I'm going to start buying parts within the next six months so it's time to start researching whichever of these I choose, here's the plan

between 350-400whp that's streetable with as much of a smooth powerband as possible and a redline around 8K

known problems for the KA:
doesn't breath well enough (head work required)
bottom end would need rebuilt (has 150K miles on it)
would need to do Auto-Manual conversions (have to buy a tranny)

Known problems for the SR20DET
less displacement should make for less torque and a more rev happy car
can stock internals take this kinda power? (I've heard both yes and no)

of corse either project will require fuel mods and a front mounted intercooler so I didn't mention that. I should just need a piggy back FCU for either way right?

I'm going to be asking on a couple of forums, I want a robust collection of viewpoints before I put my money down. Thanks in advance for the wisdom :)

NOTE: Yes I know I just started a war :laugh:

An auto to manual is pretty easy in a 240sx.
The stock block could hold the power. It's going to be found in a bigger turbo.

Here are just a couple of my mods

S15 turbo, FMIC, SAFC-2, Greddy Profec, Fuel upgrades, Cometic Head gasket and Gti-r pistons.
I can run 18psi safely and put down good numbers.

With your car, i would suggest getting your fuel system, GT28rs turbo, exhaust, basic bolt ons and turn the boost up. you will be around the 340-360 area and you will be more than happy. The thing about the sr is there is huge tq numbers when you begin to boost. you will be veryy happy and you will have a good, reliable motor to deal with.

Quoted post[/post]]
An auto to manual is pretty easy in a 240sx.
The stock block could hold the power. It's going to be found in a bigger turbo.

Here are just a couple of my mods

S15 turbo, FMIC, SAFC-2, Greddy Profec, Fuel upgrades, Cometic Head gasket and Gti-r pistons.
I can run 18psi safely and put down good numbers.

With your car, i would suggest getting your fuel system, GT28rs turbo, exhaust, basic bolt ons and turn the boost up. you will be around the 340-360 area and you will be more than happy. The thing about the sr is there is huge tq numbers when you begin to boost. you will be veryy happy and you will have a good, reliable motor to deal with.

what FCU do you suggest?

this was posted on another forum I was asking on

"The SR generally can handle up to 360hp on stock internals, but would required head upgrades. The pistons and rods are designed for 360 while the cranks is over built and designed for up to 500hp."

you don't agree Nick?

Quoted post[/post]]
this was posted on another forum I was asking on

"The SR generally can handle up to 360hp on stock internals, but would required head upgrades. The pistons and rods are designed for 360 while the cranks is over built and designed for up to 500hp."

you don't agree Nick?

If it is going to be a regular driver, i.e. street driven and not a lot of drift events or autox. I"m still not sure of what you are going to use the car for. There are a ton of fuel options. You can get a basic chipped/tuned ecu, i went with the safc2 and greddy profec. works for me. another option is the a'pexi power fc. I have seen good results with those, but they are a lot more expensive. A lot of people have the AVC-r in their setup also.

as for the block, the pistons and rod setup is fine with the stock internals. there isn't much need to rebuild it unless you have reliability issues. I don't know what your plans are, but odds are you don't need huge hp.

my suggestion is, do the basic stuff then pick a turbo. like I said before either the s15 turbo or the GT28RS. drive on it for a while and see how it feels. you will find that it is more than fast enough once you turn up the boost. with 240's just about anything over 350hp on these cars is going to be a lot of wheelspin.

I dont' think your buildup ideas are the problem. the thing is, unless you have driven a 350 hp 240sx, you don't realize that it is an extremely high number for these cars. unless you are going to do some major competitions, i bet you would be happy with 250hp. But you are like me, a male, and having a nice big hp number is fun. try to drive one if you can and you will more than enjoy it. It will cost a lot of money to go from 340hp to 400. work on your suspension and brakes instead and it will be a way more enjoyable car than a 400hp drag car.

I don't want a drag car, infact suspension and brake will prolly come first, I have a brake fettish like you don't know.

and I might be happy with 250hp but prolly closer to 300, I just want a good Mustang/Firebird killer I can drive on the weekends and sometimes afterwork

all i have to say is, video tape it when you hit 8k. i want to see the explosion :)

neither of these motors are good for revs, and don't make dick for power there anyway. especially on dinky turbos.

I like my SR - its as great motor . . . makes for a great 13second street car.

A turbo KA (if done right) would probably be pretty fun as well.

It will be cheeper to put together a turbo KA if you can do most of the work yourself.

Buying an SR is not a bad idea as long as you dont get ripped off. Also remember the emissions considerations if you have a 96+ car.

Quoted post[/post]]
I like my SR - its as great motor . . . makes for a great 13second street car.

A turbo KA (if done right) would probably be pretty fun as well.

It will be cheeper to put together a turbo KA if you can do most of the work yourself.

Buying an SR is not a bad idea as long as you dont get ripped off. Also remember the emissions considerations if you have a 96+ car.

emissions? I live in Oregon! :-D

I know a guy running a SR20DET at almost 400 rwhp on stock internals, but eats transmissions like they're free.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]and a redline around 8K
Forget everything else. You are not revving a Ka motor above 7600 without a pistoning ejecting itself into orbit.

Sr and get some high boost numbers.

:werd:

The SR swallows boost better than paris hilton.

Quoted post[/post]]
I know a guy running a SR20DET at almost 400 rwhp on stock internals, but eats transmissions like they're free.

Does he drift?

alright I've heard enough

I'm just gonna get an S14 blacktop and bolt ons, then upgrade the turbo 300-320whp will be plenty, that way I shouldn't have any reliabilty issues.

I will have a KA motor laying around though so if I ever change my mind I can give it hell.

it's time to start researching parts

id go with a ka. the stock cams and stock pistons blow, but the rest of the block is super solid. iron block, huge forged rods, oil squirters, etc.

Quoted post[/post]]

I'm just gonna get an S14 blacktop and bolt ons, then upgrade the turbo 300-320whp will be plenty, that way I shouldn't have any reliabilty issues.

I will have a KA motor laying around though so if I ever change my mind I can give it hell.

Why get an S14 motor? The S13 ones are much cheeper . . . could save urself some money for those BPU's

Quoted post[/post]]

you can swap out the internals of the sr with ka guts. just keep the bell housing from the sr tranny and use a ka for the parts. its pretty cheap to get a ka tranny and only takes about 40 minutes to change the internals.

Quoted post[/post]]

you will be very happy with 300 hp. plus you can get about $300 for your ka swap. make sure you have at least a viscous lsd once you start your builduip.

Back