Hi

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just wanted to say hi to all. Looking forward to talking to some of you soon..

Cool Place.. :worthy:

Regards

Chris

hiya, here's a thought... do lightbulbs produce light? or do they perhaps suck in all the dark in the immediate area? hmm thought provoking ain't it?

hiya, here's a thought... do lightbulbs produce light? or do they perhaps suck in all the dark in the immediate area? hmm thought provoking ain't it?

:nobreed:

Originally posted by VTEC_CBR@Jan 19 2005, 11:29 PM
[post=448438]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow... uh... how about no.

The only thing strong enough to pull and bend light is a black hole. If a lightbulb emitted a black hole, you would be sucked in as well.

So... they produce light.

Originally posted by CivicDisturbance+Jan 19 2005, 08:41 PM-->
Hi, Into.

Just wanted to say hi to all. Looking forward to talking to some of you soon..
Cool Place.. :worthy:
Regards
Chris
[post=448388]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi Chris, nice "Into." :lol: Welcome to the swap! Throw out the questions whenever you're ready.

2000Si
@Jan 19 2005, 11:20 PM
The only thing strong enough to pull and bend light is a black hole. If a lightbulb emitted a black hole, you would be sucked in as well.
[post=448458]Quoted post[/post]​

That would be incorrect. All objects with mass possess a gravitational field, and light is affected by any amount of gravity. You just don't see things like your head bending light waves around- the changes are too small for your eye to see. Massive objects like a planet or a star will "bend" light and affect its path, but only black holes will "suck in" and not allow light to escape.

:p

so like 7 years ago my buddies and i were pretty high (pretty stupid to do, but i was a stupid teenager), anyway, so my friend busts out with that question, and we just marvelled. it was pretty funny at the time, i don't know what reminded me of it though.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 20 2005, 12:35 AM-->
@Jan 19 2005, 11:20 PM
[post=448458]Quoted post[/post]​

That would be incorrect. All objects with mass possess a gravitational field, and light is affected by any amount of gravity. You just don't see things like your head bending light waves around- the changes are too small for your eye to see. Massive objects like a planet or a star will "bend" light and affect its path, but only black holes will "suck in" and not allow light to escape.

:p
[post=448464]Quoted post[/post]​

Planets don't 'pull' light. Yes they bend light, but as you said not enough for you to see it.

So in essence a black hole is the only thing that will bend and pull in light.

Originally posted by 2000Si@Jan 20 2005, 12:09 AM
Planets don't 'pull' light. Yes they bend light, but as you said not enough for you to see it.

So in essence a black hole is the only thing that will bend and pull in light.
[post=448485]Quoted post[/post]​

Technically "bending" and "pulling" are the same thing. You can measure gravity by the acceleration imposed on an object by another object toward itself. A planet "bends" the light because it accelerates the light toward itself, but you would say that a black hole "pulls" the light because it can accelerate the light toward itself at a high enough rate that the light "falls" in and can't escape. The planet and the black hole are both bending/pulling the light- you're just defining "bending" as a lesser magnitude of acceleration and "pulling" as a greater magnitude of acceleration- they're really the same thing.

:)

Back