Hmmm.... still want to move to Japan???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Wednesday, June 2, 2004
Japanese sixth-grader kills schoolmate with box cutter
11 year-old girl slashes student in empty room, leaves her to die

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
TOKYO

An 11-year-old girl led a fellow sixth-grader to an empty classroom during their school lunch hour yesterday, slit her throat and slashed arms with a box-cutter, and left her to bleed to death.

The killing at an ordinary elementary school in southern Japan shocked the community, leaving many asking how such a tragedy could occur.

The body of Satomi Mitarai, 12, was found by a teacher after the girl who attacked her returned to class in bloody clothes. The teacher called police.

Mitarai died of blood loss after being slashed in the neck and arms with a retractable knife used to cut paper and boxes, police said.

Her father rushed to Okubo Elementary School in Sasebo, 650 miles southwest of Tokyo, after receiving a call that his daughter had been hurt.

"When I arrived, Satomi was already lying there collapsed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," said Kyoji Mitarai, the head of the Sasebo bureau of the Mainichi newspaper.

"I can't put in words what I'm feeling right now. I can't understand it at all. I don't have a clue," he said.

He said that his daughter never spoke of disagreements with her classmates and appeared to get along well with them.

Authorities took the suspected attacker into custody for questioning. Police called her "Girl A," in accordance with Japanese legal protections that prohibit identifying juvenile offenders.

"Girl A" had called Mitarai out of their classroom as lunchtime was beginning and took her to a nearby room. In Japan, lunch is commonly eaten in classrooms.

The girls' teacher said she first noticed something was wrong when the two were missing, public broadcaster NHK reported. Shortly afterward, "Girl A" returned, smeared with blood.

Police said she confessed to the killing and said, sobbing, "I have done a bad thing." Authorities said they have not found a motive.

Serious juvenile crimes have become a rising worry in Japan in recent years.

Last July, a 12-year-old boy in Nagasaki - a city just north of Sasebo - was accused of kidnapping, molesting and killing a 4-year-old by shoving him off the roof of a car garage. In the same month, a 14-year-old boy was arrested for beating a 13-year-old classmate to death in Okinawa.

Just three years ago, legislators lowered the age of criminal responsibility to 14 from 16 amid public outrage over the beheading of a 10-year-old boy by a 14-year-old in 1997. Last year's killing in Nagasaki prompted many to wonder whether the line should be redrawn.

Violent juvenile crimes remain rare, however. The 1,986 "heinous crimes" - murder, robbery, arson and rape - committed by minors in 2002 represented just 1.4 percent of all youth offenses, according to the National Police Agency.

sounds just like school here :shrug2:

some 16 yr old girl had a glock 9 on here the other day at my local high school- locked and loaded.

One of my points is that perhaps a JDM wife or gf might also have emotional issues, just like the ones here in the States... :ph34r:

yea, everywhere has crime. Here, I swear ever since columnbine, school shootings are not "new's worthy" anymore. Last year there was a shooting at a detroit HS and it only made to local news for a little bit.

Yeah dude,
My girlfriend worked in this elementary school on LI. One of her students brought in a knife. Not a box cutter, I mean a 9" kitchen knife. Shit was crazy when she told me about it.

i wonder if she slashed her in some crazy ass ninja karate move?

Wouldnt the little girl ran out of the room seeing that the kid is slashing her?? I mean because a first slash with a razor hurts alot....:huh:

Originally posted by SolReaver@Jun 2 2004, 08:51 AM
this is probably gonna cause utility knives to be banned

I use the exact box cutters mentioned every day at work...

I'm always forgetting I have one in my shirt pocket... I'm scared I might have to run straight from work to an airport one day... :blink:

Ya there is crime everywhere but....I have never heard of a little girl cutting up another little girl with a box cutter.

Forget cutting them with a box cutter, how about that family that came home to see three of her children dead. One was completely decapitated and the other 2 were partially decapitated. Who did it? They think a 14 year old cousin of the kids. I am not condening at all what happened in Japan, but it is far worse over here, mainly from lack of values that this country has. Japan is much more populated than us in the sense of land mass, and they have way less crime of this magnitude especially, I would much rather live there than here.

Kaba KICK !

See just how screwed up Japanese culture can be.

It should be noted that unlike Australia, and Britian who have also taken on laws to ban firearms, find that Stabbings and cutting are on the rise - Japan is a culture based seeped in it's knife history. "The Way Of the Sword" is the founding principles of Japanese culture, and knife / sword wounds are a leading weapon there.

What do you expect from the country with the nastiest Mafia in the world?

-> Steve

That is a great link!! However, I can't argue for the Japanese culture, but do you honestly think that the parents tell their kids to chop up a little girl, because they don't agree with them?

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Jun 2 2004, 08:27 AM
One of my points is that perhaps a JDM wife or gf might also have emotional issues, just like the ones here in the States... :ph34r:

Actually yes...she does have more emotions than an American....

I've had Kitchen knives thrown at me, I've had to hide the kitchen knives many time when we lived in FL, I've had to stop her when she got cabin Fever and turned suicidal many times in FL and here....hell...she gets so emotional sometimes that I am afraid to even bring people over....but also, living in Japan, she was happy as hell, she had freeedom, she could go anywhere, do anything, and be somebody. But also on the same effect....any American woman would be the same way if they had problems with their father that made them think that if they are not perfect or successful enough, then they should give up....completely.

But I also found the many ways to make her happy...and one was to get her out of the house, go driving, and let her go place that she wants to...she doesn't have the self confidence to leave the house herself due to the fact that we live like 60ft from the worse slum in CT, and that the drivers here are so bad and the roads are so poorly marked that she would get in an accident and get hurt.....and also there really is nowhere for her to go that she would feel comfertable. But after I found out she like antiques, tag sales, estate sales, drifting, food, car meets, parks, walking the dog, and many other places...I have gotten her celf confidence up enough to where I can drop her off at an antiques shop for hours at a time and not worry about her flipping out.

But when we get a house in the country side, and she knows that the raods are safer than Bridgeport, and she has a her mad tite JDM drifting machine done...I have a feeling she will get 1,000,000 % better than she is now.

I replied to this post once, but I erased it, but appearently eveyone has the same thoughts that I had....That the 4-5 recent juvi-crimes in Japan is nowhere near the crazy shit that we have here....

And Yes...I can't wait to mave back to Japan...if I had the chance I would be there like yesterday...living there is so much easier than here....

That's hella crazy!!!...but i'm not too surprised...especailly after all the crap that happens here in America...and for a country that has so many people...i'm just amazed that there aren't more stories like that in the news from that country...especailly with their thick tradition of swords and such.

oh and
public broadcaster NHK
don't they make spark plugs????

Oh wait that's NGK...nevermind

<--lame

^^^ Yes. Yes you are lame. :)

Okay from this story here...

"The 11-year-old girl who killed Satomi Mitarai by slashing her throat at their primary school in southern Japan on Tuesday told police she killed her friend because she was angry about a message posted on a Web site, newspapers said."

Back