Honda Rat Rod

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

friz

I would like to build a rat rod loosely based on a 32 ford roadster. I would like to mount a B-series longitudinally between the frame rails. My question is: Has honda ever built a B -series tranny that would support this configuration? I know I could use an S-2K setup but I really like the look of the B. :D

It's very easy to adapt engines for RWD transmissions. The bell housing is approximately the same size as the Mazda RX-7 trans.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jan 18 2005, 07:49 PM
It's very easy to adapt engines for RWD transmissions. The bell housing is approximately the same size as the Mazda RX-7 trans.

-> Steve
[post=447721]Quoted post[/post]​

I really don't want to have to build a custom bell housing....Does any one make a conversion bellhousing for this setup?

OH HELL YEAH!! a Honda rat rod...this is gonna be sic as hell. just make sure you paint it flat black and have it rolling on some smoothies :)

Eather flat black or honda valve cover crinkle red, White walls and Moon hub caps. I have been contemplating this for some time. I am also considering a T-bucket. I want to blend the old and new but I don't want the new to be obvious until you get up close.

Originally posted by BodyDroppedNikes@Jan 18 2005, 08:38 PM
werd. sounds like you know what ya want. cant forget one of those long ass gear shifters. oh and its got to be loud. :)
[post=447736]Quoted post[/post]​

Well........ I was thinking about a short shifter and a fart can just to piss off the old timers.

nah. if you gonna do it in true rat rod style, ya need the long ass gear shifter. and if you use a fart can, make sure you run a straight pipe to it. oh and you also need painted pinstripping done in red on the flat black paint job. true OG rat rod style :)

Originally posted by BodyDroppedNikes@Jan 18 2005, 08:46 PM
nah. if you gonna do it in true rat rod style, ya need the long ass gear shifter. and if you use a fart can, make sure you run a straight pipe to it. oh and you also need painted pinstripping done in red on the flat black paint job. true OG rat rod style :)
[post=447739]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm running a straight pipe on my sedan. Don't think the rod would be any different. I'll think about the shifter, don't know if i could stomach using it.

Lets get back to the tranny. Does any one know of a tranny that would work with a B?

Originally posted by friz+Jan 18 2005, 10:02 PM-->
@Jan 18 2005, 07:49 PM

-> Steve

I really don't want to have to build a custom bell housing....Does any one make a conversion bellhousing for this setup?
[post=447724]Quoted post[/post]​

this is where the small detail of the damn honda engines spinning in the opposite direction of all other engines ends up fucking you in the ass.... if you were able to get an adapter plate made up you would have 5(or 6) gears in reverse and 1 forward :thumbsdown:

:werd:

You'd do well to choose either the F20C or K20A for your project. Every Honda motor before the K-series and S2K's F20 spun the opposite direction of every other manufacturer in the freakin' world.

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jan 18 2005, 08:59 PM-->
Originally posted by friz@Jan 18 2005, 10:02 PM
Celerity
@Jan 18 2005, 07:49 PM
It's very easy to adapt engines for RWD transmissions.  The bell housing is approximately the same size as the Mazda RX-7 trans.

-> Steve

[post=447724]Quoted post[/post]​

this is where the small detail of the damn honda engines spinning in the opposite direction of all other engines ends up fucking you in the ass.... if you were able to get an adapter plate made up you would have 5(or 6) gears in reverse and 1 forward :thumbsdown:
[post=447751]Quoted post[/post]​

I kinda thought this would be a problem. As far as the the five forward gears go just flipping the diff should get me there. But I don't know what happens when you turn a tranny wrong way. Gear mesh issues. Synchromesh? ETC. Even the seals may be made to seal with one direction of rotation.

why not just use the S2k engine/tranny/ecu? Since there isn't a huge market for the engines, you can get a JDM f20c for around 4 grand. 240 hp stock >>>>>>>160-190hp

a friend of mine was gonna do this

buy an '88-'91 CRX that had been hit in the front

put extended framerails on it

drop a S2k drivetrain in it

call it good.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 18 2005, 10:00 PM
why not just use the S2k engine/tranny/ecu? Since there isn't a huge market for the engines, you can get a JDM f20c for around 4 grand. 240 hp stock >>>>>>>160-190hp
[post=447785]Quoted post[/post]​

I guess it's a matter of asthetics. I just don't think the f engine has the right look. This isn't just a power thing. I could do a SBC in a 32 ford roadster and have plenty of power. I want to build this in the tradition of a rat rod which is to make something cool out of someone's trash. I would really like to do a boosted bastard in it.

Well, it's a matter of mechanics. You can't bolt a non-K or F20 engine to a gearbox that doesn't turn the right way

the only thing I can think of is to use a S2k drivetrain or a K motor.

Doesn't the VW bus transmission turn the opposite direction? Or am I smoking crack? I thought I read somewhere a loooooooong time ago that the VW bus transmission is what would take a B or D block. I think I'm probably just smoking crack.

Time to go surf around on VWvortex... gotta find a way to put a Honda block in the back of a Karmann Ghia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back