Hood Clearance Issues??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeperspecial

I recently picked up a civic hatch with a B18 Turbo and the guy had to move unexpectedly and had this turbo lying around. The only problem is it didn't clear the hood so he cut a hole threw the hood. My question is, what turbo will clear the hood or do I need to buy an aftermarket hood? The current Garrett turbo a/r ratios are the same as a GT45 so it is a rather large turbo I am assuming. Anyways, I included a pic below and hopefully I will be able to add more once I get them uploaded.

Civic Hatch Pics pictures by wcollum - Photobucket

DSCN0411.jpg

wow i could build you a clean hood thats cut out professionally and paint it to match for cheaper than buying an aftermarket one let that beast show!

HA! He chewed a hole through the hood with his teeth from the looks of it.

Buy a different manifold, one that will place the turbo in the correct position.

Or better yet, put eyeballs on it, weld arms out of nuts and bolts to it, and have it climbing out of the hood powell style!
Powell_Skateboards_Skull_Logo.jpg

Last edited:
Umm, what kind of power is this car making?

Im not exactly sure, I was corrected on another forum about the a/r ratios not meaning jack about the turbo size. It is the actual turbine wheels that determine it. Anyways, I haven't been to the track nor dyno. So, the power is still unknown. I need to find a good tuner around my area so I can see what the car can really do. My guess is 250 to 300whp because I am only running 9-10 psi. I raced a 1g Supra with a 2g engine w/single turbo conversion last weekend. He put down 450whp at 11psi and during our race he was pushing 14psi. We couldn't pull each other at all. I plan on trying out the Holset HE351VE VGT turbo in the near future. The only thing is, the exhaust housing is huge (even compared to the current turbo) so the hole may end up being larger. I have been thinking of selling the top mount in favor of a ramhorn that is ac compatible but I still haven't decided. I still haven't found a hood that will clear the turbo so I guess it will be either a custom fab job or leave it the way it is. It gets a little tough to pick a race when you have a turbo sticking out of the hood, lol.

DSCN0386.jpg

Here is the only pic I have showing the entire engine bay. One of the many things on my list of repairs is to paint the engine bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back