Hood Clearance Issues??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleeperspecial

I posted this in the turbo section as well trying to get some opinions. Sorry if I was not supposed to double post. I tried homemadeturbo.com but that turned into a couple of guys flaming my car and other things so I figured I would try elsewhere to get some intelligent answers.

I recently picked up a civic hatch with a B18 Turbo and the guy had to move unexpectedly and had this turbo lying around. The only problem is it didn't clear the hood so he cut a hole threw the hood. My question is, what turbo will clear the hood or do I need to buy an aftermarket hood? The current Garrett turbo a/r ratios are the same as a GT45 so it is a rather large turbo I am assuming. Anyways, I included a pic below and hopefully I will be able to add more once I get them uploaded.

Civic Hatch Pics pictures by wcollum - Photobucket

DSCN0411.jpg

just buy a scoop to cover the whole and cut it right that looks like ass

........did you do that with like a hammer or what

but still he was right about installing a scoop. thats a good idea.

other than that, yeah he's the baby shit green crayon fo sho

I would consider getting a fiberglass hood and work a scoop or bulge into it, it will be easier than trying to bond fiber to steel.

i would consider getting a new hood and a proper turbo manifold / intercooler piping so you can put the turbo somewhere that doesnt suck

Damn thats a hoe-lot-a turbo. And a Integra Dash conversion. Someone started to make it crazy and then painted it a
different color but left the red in the engine bay. I say use some type of a scoop for now and drive it 'til the wheels fall off!!

i would just get a hood and change the turbo, unless that motor is fully build ur gonna get some crazy lag cause its so big of a turbo

Yeah, lag isn't too bad. The show starts around 4500rpm. I was thinking about a fiberglass scoop but wouldn't the heat from the turbo be a little too hot? I plan on getting the engine bay painted to match the car later on, right now I am trying to get some of the small things figured out. I have been thinking of trying the varible exhaust Holset turbo (HE351VE VGT to be exact) but the exhaust side is much larger than the current turbo setup. How do the guys with topmount manifolds run larger turbos? Anyways, the only solution I have come up with is buying a 1g or 2g stock eclipse hood and cutting the scoop off and bonding it to my hood. If you guys have any suggestions please feel free to chime in.

^Hell Yea^ I'd look into a new turbo manifold. Can we get a full hood shot?

dear god man.... that looks like ass and completely shits up an otherwise clean looking car

get a proper manifold and an OEM hood and do that car some damn justice

leave the hood scoops and bulges for the ass clowns with the 18's, body kits, and big ass wings

you have a really good platform there... now do it right

so how much power is this thing suposed to make and i bet it is pretty quick for what looks to be a hacked up car on a budget

I love it, intercooler and turbo sticking out with the olive green paint, mmmmmmm.

Under the hood is really a mess right now because it still has the factory red paint that really needs painting. I will throw in another pic in just a sec to let you see what I have to work on after the clearance issue is fixed. I am trying to work up a trade or plain sell the :LoveFab top mount for the LoveFab ram horn manifold that allows for ac and ps. I am wanting something that will clear an oem hood. The bumper is pulled in on the sides due to the intercooling piping. Once, I get the turbo rerouted it should return to factory position. Hacked? I would like to call it unorganized. All the right stuff is there for the most part, it just needs some tlc. I have no idea about the power but I can tell you as of right now it is equal to about a 470-500whp 1g Supra. It was a door to door race with him a 14 psi. He dynoed at 10psi with 450whp. I am only running 10psi until I swap the turbo then it will be 20psi+ from then on. I am looking to make 450-500whp on pump and who knows on race gas.

Back