How can I give my d16y7 Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VtevHEART

I’ve seen videos of people putting vtec into their d16y7 seen some videos wonders what parts Should I need?

you can use most of the stuff from the y8 (96-98 or 99-00 ex civic depending on your obd2 version). What year is your car?

Idk much about cars but Honda are very fun and reliable I’m still beginner doing research, watching YouTube before I begin buying parts It would be a fun project, i want to learn more about engines, someone told me if I put give it vtec could maybe give me 200hp not sure about that but it would b sick. it’s also got a d16y8 trans

A d16y7 has 106hp / 103tq
A d16y8 has 127hp / 107tq

If everything is in good condition, using good parts, and good assembly work, putting a y8 head on a y7 block (with all of the accompanying equipment) is generally going to get you in the ballpark of a stock y8.

Short of turboing it you are not going to pull 200hp out of it.

I guess this is the part where the standard qualifying questions need to be asked

What do you want to use this car for
What are your goals
What is your budget
What is your technical ability
What country/state are you in

Just wanna use it for a daily drive
My goal is too make a little more power just to make it a little fun
Budget 2000
Not much just borrow some tools then and their
canada alberta

I have another question can I put power steering into my 98 civic hatchback?

Doing a head swap isn't something to try for a first-timer IMO, especially if it's your daily driver as there's wiring involved which, while isn't complicated, can be difficult for some, myself included. Running wires, tapping pins, etc isn't always straight forward like turning bolts.

the y8 head will get you about 127 as noted above, no where near 200. if you want 200, you need to swap to a b with some work, an h with some work, a k-series, or turbo the d-series.

If you don't have any parts yet, consider a b-series swap. It's a little more complicated to wire up than the head swap and maybe a bit more work needed the hoist and axels, but you'll get better results for just a little bit more money (considering an LS swap as the price point)

Back