How Do I Fix This?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok just a few mins ago i was installing my type r valve cover seen below. nice huh? (excuse the slight discoloration, its just my shitty digi cam)

my engine
(hah i remember when i first came here and B told me to get a real intake i had to modify an AEM one, lol)

but theres one prob, while tightening it down i snapped one of the bolts. broken bolt

now how can i fix this?, can i replace to bolt? where can i get one? should i be worried about the valve cover being not sealed enough? i appreciate it. thanks.

i dont know how to get it out (prolly just tap it out)but you can get a replacment from honda

Yea, call your local Honda dealeship and buy a better torque wrench. Have fun tryin to get that stud out though.

how much do you guys think honda would chage me to replace that one stud? throw some numbers at me. should i be worried about it leaking?

Damn,how hard did you torque it?Just pull off the valve cover and get some vise grips,clamp it and unscrew.Go to Honda and get a new one.The seal should be good enough,but you may get some light leakage.Make sure the others are tight,and don't drive it to long like that.They shouldn't charge you more than a buck for a bolt that small.I got all 16 bolts for my tranny shipped for $15.

i didnt even torque it. i dont have a torque wrench. i was using a small little socket wrench. i just wanted it to be tight, bc they were pretty hard to get off. but i wanted to know how much honda would charge me to replace the bolt for me. thanks for everyones help so far.

Hard to say how much they would charge.They may just look at it roll their eyes,pull it out and replace it.Or they could break out their "it's gonna cost ya labor fees"

Snap on sells a tool to remove studs from the block. Just do it yourself, because a shop is gonna rip ya...

pills i tried to send you a PM for instructions on how to replace that bolt, but your inbox is full. sent me a PM or email on how to do this please. thanks.

It's really simple...Just purchase a stud remover and then remove the stud, afterwards put a new stud on and your done! Snap on sells this for a reasonable price...

i get the feeling it screws on. like its threaded on both ends. but its just a hunch, unless someone knows for sure that its not.

i know a way to get the bolt out. get a drill bit one smaller than the bolt obviously and drill in the middle of the bolt then get a screw hammer it in then unscrew the screw. its just that easy trust me it works done it many times on different screws and bolts

snap on makes a tool called an easy out it a rverse drill bitt that you use a wrent to tighten and as it tightens it spins the stud out it cost like 5 bucks and has worked a shit load of times now

You don't need any special tool. It's got a 10 mm "nut" on the bottom. Go to a junk yard and steal one and put it on your car. It will take you 5 minutes. If you are too good for getting it from a junkyard go to your Honda dealer and get one. They are $3.44 at majestic and list for $4.62

Back