how has GM been spending your Billions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
GM is working with Segway to develop a fucking 2 seat, 2 wheel, electric rickshaw cart

:clapping: bravo GM..... brav-fucking-o :clapping:

GM and Segway unveil new two-wheeled urban vehicle - Yahoo! News

GM and Segway unveil new two-wheeled urban vehicle

capt.photo_1239108482692-1-0.jpg

capt.56b4519deec54f448a1ecfe4024452d7.general_motors_segway_nyjl202.jpg

capt.5e22ccd408674e8fa64423eff8503517.auto_show_segway_gm_nyjl107.jpg

NEW YORK – A solution to the world's urban transportation problems could lie in two wheels not four, according to executives for General Motors Corp. and Segway Inc.
The companies announced Tuesday that they are working together to develop a two-wheeled, two-seat electric vehicle designed to be a fast, safe, inexpensive and clean alternative to traditional cars and trucks for cities across the world.
The Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility, or PUMA, project also would involve a vast communications network that would allow vehicles to interact with each other, regulate the flow of traffic and prevent crashes from happening.
"We're excited about doing more with less," said Jim Norrod, chief executive of Segway, the Bedford, N.H.-based maker of electric scooters. "Less emissions, less dependability on foreign oil and less space."
The 300-pound prototype runs on a lithium-ion battery and uses Segway's characteristic two-wheel balancing technology, along with dual electric motors. It's designed to reach speeds of up to 35 miles-per-hour and can run 35 miles on a single charge.
The companies did not release a projected cost for the vehicle, but said ideally its total operating cost — including purchase price, insurance, maintenance and fuel — would total between one-fourth and one-third of that of the average traditional vehicle.
Larry Burns, GM's vice president of research and development, and strategic planning, said the project is part of Detroit-based GM's effort to remake itself as a purveyor of fuel-efficient vehicles. If Hummer took GM to the large-vehicle extreme, Burns said, the PUMA takes GM to the other.
Ideally, the vehicles would also be part of a communications network that through the use of transponder and GPS technology would allow them to drive themselves. The vehicles would automatically avoid obstacles such as pedestrians and other cars and therefore never crash, Burns said.
As a result, the PUMA vehicles would not need air bags or other traditional safety devices and include safety belts for "comfort purposes" only, he said.
Though the technology and its goals may seem like something out of science fiction, Burns said nothing new needs to be invented for it to become a reality.
"At this point, it's merely a business decision," he said.
Burns said that while putting that kind of communications infrastructure in place may still be a ways off for many American cities, the automaker is looking for a place, such as a college campus, where the vehicles could be put to use and grab a foothold in the market.
There's currently no timeline for production, Burns said.
The ambitious announcement also comes at a time when GM's future is hanging by a thread after receiving billions of dollars in federal aid and is in the midst of a vast restructuring that could still lead to a filing for bankruptcy protection.
Meanwhile, the ongoing recession has resulted in some of the lowest industrywide vehicle sales in more than a quarter century.
But Burns argued that some of the most revolutionary ideas have been born out of tough economic times.
"The next two months, and really 2009, is all about the reinvention of General Motors," he said.

Ya that's fucking retarded. I like Toyota's rolling chair better. (Saw it on Top Gear).

toyota_chair_1.jpg

And regardless, did these GM brainiacs ever consider a motorcycle??? Make it just a hair longer and you can market 2 seats lol. Not to mention top speeds of 100+ and more than 40 miles to a gallon and 200+ miles on a single "charge" [fill] lol.

They live in their own little world.

Has anyone heard the latest radio spot GM has been marketing? It starts with an innocuous voice talking about how certain car companies have a perception of quality, of how the cars are built, and of the way they sound.

I totally expected Honda, or even Hyundai...

Then it introduces GM.

I nearly fell out of my chair listening to it.

The movie WallE wasn't too far off....

its a going to be considered great until somebody is taking it through an intersection and gets HAMMERED by a fucking crown vic taxi cab.
then people will be screaming about safety, and lawsuits will arise.

i hate people

its full on retarded

it makes no damn sense for places like NYC or other crowded cities... because crowded cities (for the most part) already have something that cuts down on congestion even better than a bunch of 2 wheel electric rickshaw carts running around all over the place... its called public fucking transportation... shit like buses, subways/elevated trains, taxi services, etc...

so in NYC where parking can cost you more than many people pay for rent every month, why the hell would you get one of these, and battle with cars, buses, pedestrians, and the weather to get to the other side of the city, when you can simply foot it a few minutes to the subway station, hop a train and be there in 15 minutes???

this makes no sense for city dwellers... its more expensive than a bus/subway pass... its more expensive than cab fair... its less safe and less useful than a car... it offers no protection from weather or other vehicles, its not as maneuverable as a bicycle... cant easily be brought inside at night... it has no storage space so its not any good for running to the store...

the only people this does kind of make sense for is people in those gated communities and such that are already rolling around in EVs and golf carts... but even for them, you cant put a cooler in this thing and roll down to the shuffle board courts with a friend or significant other...

these would simply cause more congestion in an already busy city
these would serve limited use for people in small communities

about the only thing these do make sense for is suburban novelties... it doesnt have enough range or speed to get me to work... it doesnt offer any protection from weather or other vehicles...
about all i could really use this for is rolling around town to friends houses or out for coffee at night (weather permitting)... and im not spending $_____.__ on something that servers that little actual purpose, when for probably abut the same amount i could get a motorcycle that would be a lot more fun, and a lot more useful, and offer at least the same amount of protection if not more (from the added maneuverability)

GM has completely lost touch with reality

Well maybe my mall will pick this up for our security guards. They already ride around on segways here. Nothing is funnier than watching someone wipe out full speed on a Segway in the mall going around a corner.

A Segway for even lazier people.

Don't we already have something like this? Electric wheelchair/hoverounds?

i dont know why, but that was by far the best post you have made green.

its a going to be considered great until somebody is taking it through an intersection and gets HAMMERED by a fucking crown vic taxi cab.
then people will be screaming about safety, and lawsuits will arise.

i hate people

Hahaha I can't wait to see that.

Its called a bicycle. It has unlimited range and has close to zero maintenance cost. These dipshits want to put these damn things on a network; along with our thermostats..... Anyone else see the report about a potential breach in our energy infrastructure yesterday? Yeah, networking our freaking cars is a GREAT idea. This is more happy feel good Wall-Eish bullshit.

Its called a bicycle.
Yeah no shit. It takes me just as long to ride my bike to campus as it does to walk. There is no reason why people who don't live to far from work can't be able to ride there bike. Not only does it save you money but it would also help all the fat ass Americans loose weight. But Americans are to pathetic.

Back