How Much Should I Budget?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
So I'm going to be swapping a B18c1 in my sedan hopefully before the end of the summer. My goal is to do a good clean job, and have a reliable daily driver, are these realistic goals? I would also like to keep my options open for turboing it a year or two down the road.

I'm going to purchase from these guys.

I'm thinking about buying the motor, trans, and ecu.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30008

or buying the complete change over.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30009

I'm thinking that I want to go with aftermarket axles from raxles, and to get a hasport mount kit. Would that be beneficial for me though, or would it make more sense to purchase the complete swap.

I want to go with the lsd tranny, are there any cons to having lsd, other than it just being more expensive?

What will I need to do for exhaust? Obviously it won't bolt up to my D-series exhaust (at least I don't think). I want to get a greddy sp2, I like the way those sound.

Going to need shift linkage and different radiator.

Wiring, aren't all 92's already pre-wired for VTEC? I was thinking about just purchasing a harness from rywire.com.

I'm guessing that I should have around $5000 saved up before I start doing anything.

Motor with lsd tranny 3350 + shipping, which I guess will be at least $350, so that's $3700 right there.

-$100ish for a new radiator
-$100ish for shift linkage
-$100ish for wire harness
-$1000ish for fluids, hoses, odds and ends, and in case unforeseen problems arise.

So like I said I'm guessing about $5000 by the time everything is said and done. That estimate low/high?

Anyone have any suggestions, insight, recommendations for me?

Planning on doing the swap in our garage with my Dad, the only thing I can see us maybe having trouble with is wiring. We have an array of 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 inch socket drives ranging from 8mm to 19mm. We have wrenches ranging from 8mm to 19mm. Obviously jacks and jack stands. Impact wrench (albeit not the most powerful one, but it gets the job done). Any other tools that would be helpful to have?

How much time should we expect it to take if we take our time, do a good complete job, and only have a few hitches?

Am I going to have to get it tuned since the motor is in a different car, or is it going to run fine since it's just a stock motor with a stock ecu?

A more detailed idea about the two different ways I'm thinking about going.

-$3700 B18c1 (complete change over + lsd tranny + shipping)
-$90 wire harness
-$190 Hasport shift linkage
-$120 radiator
-$900 left over for odds and ends

=$5000

Or

-$3300 B18c1 (motor + lsd tranny + ecu + shipping)
-$90 wire harness
-$190 hasport shift linkage
-$350 raxles axles
-$450 hasport mounts
-$120 radiator
-$500 left over for odds and ends

=$5000

Last edited:
$5000 is really high. well, i wouldn't do it that route anyways.

I would just look into buying a b18b or b16 and saving a lot of money. you shouldn't need a whole new harness. you can buy gsr/del sol linkage for under $100 from people online.

i wouldn't worry about lsd unless you plan on doing some serious racing/drag/autox. you don't need a new radiator. don't spend money on extra axles until you need them. stock will hold up fine. don't spend money unless you need to. it's like buying food when you are already full. you don't need it, it's just there to wait for. save the money for other mods like a better suspension or upgrading your brakes and tires.

Then you'll want better brakes and tires.
then you'll want better suspention,

then you'll want a turbo,

then, you want want want.

sell car, buy new car, repeat. it's the vicious cycle of being a car enthusiast.

I was looking at the b16 and b18b, but I pretty much have my mind set on the b18c1. The only reason I was thinking that I want lsd is so that I can get the power to the ground a little easier when it's damp out. Right now my one tire slips when I start from a stop and the ground is wet enough.

Already got the suspension done ;) just haven't gotten the pictures up yet. Handles so much better. Need brakes now.

I went with PIC Apex P1 coilovers, ASR subframe brace, 22mm ITR rear swaybar, PIC lca's, ASR swaybar endlinks, and my neuspeed front upper strut bar.

You were right Blanco, it does handle pretty much like a go-kart.

I like them a lot. Fairly stiff, a little stiffer would have been nice, but I'm sure I'll appreciate the stiffness of these ones on longer drives.

Install was pretty easy. I only dropped it about about an 1"-1.5". Already got an alignment done, the guy that did it told me I did a really good job. He did tell me that if I was planning on going any lower I would need a camber kit though.

Good price. Never really looked at getting a Type-R before, it's not really in my plans. I think I'm just going to stick with the b18c1, I've thought about getting this particular motor since I got my car a year ago and I've made up my mind. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hmmm. Now that I've actually found the page the motor is on, it does seem like a really good deal. Why is it so cheap? What kind of reputation does this site have though? I've never talked with anyone that has done business with them, I've never even heard of the site before.

Oh and I don't have the money yet, I just was trying to get an idea of how much money I should have before I start ordering stuff, I don't want to run out of money part way through the project.

EDIT: Oh ho, tricky, when you go to add the motor to the cart it asks you what you want so it's actually $4200 + shipping for the complete swap. So it's really $1200 more for this motor over the gsr.

Last edited:
Add $1k to the purchase price to drop the engine in, then add at least 30% to that because you will go over-budget.

Then you'll want better brakes and tires.

Never said any better. Everything I've ever done has (edit: eventually) gone over budget. Plan it out and do everything right the first time. Trust me cheaping out/ getting lazy WILL bite you in the ass in the future. I am in the process of sorting though a bunch of bullshit on my setup for that reason.

I did my B18b1 swap to an EK for ~$3000 in parts. $1650 for the engine/tranny/ECU/new axles/eng harness shipped from nagasaki motors. The balance $$ for stock motor mounts/shift linkage/radiator/clutch/timimng belt kit/used magnflow exhaust/springs/struts/front end kit/swaybars/etc.... I built the wiring harness myself after researching here on this forum. All turned out great! I use the car as a daily driver(120 miles per day) and get 31mpg hwy if I keep my foot out of it. Good luck with your project!

Hmmm. Now that I've actually found the page the motor is on, it does seem like a really good deal. Why is it so cheap? What kind of reputation does this site have though? I've never talked with anyone that has done business with them, I've never even heard of the site before.

Oh and I don't have the money yet, I just was trying to get an idea of how much money I should have before I start ordering stuff, I don't want to run out of money part way through the project.

EDIT: Oh ho, tricky, when you go to add the motor to the cart it asks you what you want so it's actually $4200 + shipping for the complete swap. So it's really $1200 more for this motor over the gsr.
heres a pm i got from torontojdm.com. they are a sponsor here. this is a kick ass deal...

GSR obd1 with LSD complete swap 3100.00 and

3400.00 Shipped
ENGINE INCLUDES:
ENGINE BLOCK
5 SPEED HYDRAULIC TRANSMISSION
ECU (ENGINE COMPUTER)
ALTERNATOR
DISTRIBUTOR
POWER STEERING
AC COMPRESSOR
INTAKE MANIFOLD
EXHAUST MANIFOLD
DOWN PIPE
STARTER
WIRED HARNESS
ACCESSORIES (STOCK MOUNTS & SENSORS)
SHIFTER LINKAGE
USED DRIVE SHAFTS

Wow, that's a good deal. I'm probably going to order from them. Don't have the money yet, but I like having a game plan before I start spending money anyways.

Ok well my Dad is going to help me pay for the motor swap.

I'm purchasing from Hmotorsonline. Shooting for ordering before this month is up.

The b18c1 94-97 complete change over for $2999

I think the easiest solution for wiring will be this Rywire - Online Store

I still have questions about what my options are going to be for exhaust? Do I just take it to a shop and have them fabricate a custom exhaust?

For the guaranteed start-up warranty from Hmotorsonline it says you need to change the spark plugs, spark plug wires (leads), rotor, timing belt, water pump and tension pulley. Where would the best place to purchase the rotor, water pump and tension pulley from? I already know to use the OEM timing belt. Spark plugs and spark plug wires I was just going to pick up at Schucks.

Oh, and I was planning on going with the dual core Del Sol radiator to help keep things cooler, a few of you said it wasn't neccessary but I'd rather be on the safe side.

I was informed that the stock linkage that comes with the motor will suffice, is that correct?

I'm in the process of searching, if I find the answers to any of my questions I'll post them for the benefit of others.

We have sockets ranging in size from 6mm-19mm. 1/4 drives, 1/2 drives, and a 3/4 drives. A quality torque wrench, air compressor with impact wrench, many different screw drivers, pliers, etc. Any special tools we'll be needing? Obviously a cherry picker but a few of our neighbors have them so we would just borrow one of them.

Don't forget a 32 mm socket for the axle nuts. Also there's the "bitch pin" that holds the shift linkage together. The easiest way to get that out is with an air hammer and a properly sized punch. Oh and if you want to remove the flywheel, you will need a 12 point 17mm hex socket.

edit: If I remember you have to separate the upper ball joint so you can get the knuckle out of the way. Pick up a ball joint separator tool.

Last edited:
Back