How To Get More Torque ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovcrash

Wich would be the best way to get more torque out of a H22A JDM engine ?? What would i have to change ?? What would be the best pieces to put in ??

Thanks for the help. :blink:

If you want to stay n/a, higher compression pistons, more aggressive cams or a port and polish would be good ways to start.

Boosting it would also be a great way to get some torque.

nice pistons, maybe have to get customs, try jdmhondaparts.com they have prelude parts :
pistons and cams.

Nah, they won't have to be custom, plenty of companies out there make higher compression pistons for the H22. Hell, you could get stock JDM Type S pistons and bump your compression to 11.1:1

u could always increase the stroke on ur h22a....im trying to read more about it but not alot of articles....

type S pistons, supposed to be the best modification for an h-series motor.

however, i can't speak from direct experience...

The Type S pistons really do wonders for a USDM H-series engine, since it comes 10.2:1 from the factory. You'll see less of a gain on a JDM with 10.6:1, but it's definitely still nice.

i thought the only difference between the usdm h22 and the jdm h22 was only like 20 hp and 2 ft/lb of torque.

what are the actual physical differences? cams, pistons, anything else?

USDM H22A1 (93-96 VTEC): 190 hp, 156 ft-lbs (I think), 10.2:1 CR
USDM H22A4 (97 All Models): 195 hp, 157 ft-lbs (I think), 10.2:1 CR
JDM H22A: 200 hp, 161 ft-lbs, 10.6:1 CR

I think only the pistons, cams and exhaust header are different between the two, but I could be wrong. There are other subtle differences like emission controls, timing belt tensioner, etc. Nothing else that affects performance, though.

To get aftermarket forged pistons into a h22, you have to have it resleeved first. :)

Sleeve and stroke that shitty to a 2.7l, that would get you some torque. Toss some 12.5:1 cr forged pistons, maybe a shot of n2o if you wanna get risky, you could add a significant amount of hp that way. Even without the nitrous you could see maybe 100hp that way, half a liter is a good amount of displacement change. I would get a port and polish, and some other headwork, valve springs and retainers so you can rev higher. The rest is up to you!

I asked a local reputable tuner shop about the resleeving of an H22 to run forged pistons, and they had never heard of it. Can anyone shed any light?

where exactly on the engine could I find the year and so forth. So I know exactly what I was sold. I was told it was a JDM 94 H22 ... I did the swap myself btu never did double check my engine :unsure:

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 12 2003, 12:53 PM
Start your own thread. Don't :cockblocked: this guy's.

Well I figured since he had already been answered and your knowledge was so vast in this post that you might come back and see yourself fit to help . I guess not though . thanks .

No need to be a dick about it. The reason people get told to start their own threads is, if someone wants to go searching for a topic he has a question on, he can find the threads easier, either by using the search button or skimming the thread titles to try to find an answer. It doesn't make sense to have a thread be called one thing, and then have multiple questions asked in the same thread.

To get aftermarket forged pistons into a h22, you have to have it resleeved first.
I asked a local reputable tuner shop about the resleeving of an H22 to run forged pistons, and they had never heard of it. Can anyone shed any light?

You don't need to resleeve an H22 to run forged pistons. Rebore and rehone, yes. Resleeving the block does just that, replaces the sleeves with (hopefully) stronger ones that can withstand higher pressures. Depends on the pistons you buy, if they are slightly overbore you may need to bore the block to fit the pistons. And of course rebore it to achieve proper cross hatch patterns, to help seat the piston rings. Getting forged pistons has zero to do with the necessity to resleeve a block. It's just an extra added measure of safety if you want to run high boost pressures. And if you really want to get picky you can recenter align the bore to make sure your new sleeves don't crack the water jacket. Of course, you would want to do all of this after spending all this money, because it would suck that you left something out that would cost you 200 dollars to avoid ruining your 5000 dollar engine! Now remember kids, tensile loads increase with the square of the RPM!

And now that you guys look like this: :spin: there's one more thing I have to add.
Start your own thread. Don't :cockblocked: this guy's.
Usually cockblocked is when a guy is denied by a girl. I mean, I could have sworn the guy was asking for info and not getting turned down by a chic.
No need to be a dick about it. The reason people get told to start their own threads is, if someone wants to go searching for a topic he has a question on, he can find the threads easier, either by using the search button or skimming the thread titles to try to find an answer. It doesn't make sense to have a thread be called one thing, and then have multiple questions asked in the same thread.
That dude's question was not OT. And searches bring up info in the subject and the thread. The thread was a discussion of H22 motors. It just so happens that usually people who involve themselves in discussions like that would have knowledge of the whole topic. It would be absolutely rediculous to start a thread for that question when there is already a discussion going on involving that motor. And XotikSol, if my memory serves me correctly the vin would be located on the front of the motor, on the tranny side. Spreading kindness does so much good for people! Everyone should try it!

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 7 2003, 12:55 PM
USDM H22A1 (93-96 VTEC): 190 hp, 156 ft-lbs (I think), 10.2:1 CR
USDM H22A4 (97  All Models): 195 hp, 157 ft-lbs (I think), 10.2:1 CR
JDM H22A: 200 hp, 161 ft-lbs, 10.6:1 CR

I think only the pistons, cams and exhaust header are different between the two, but I could be wrong. There are other subtle differences like emission controls, timing belt tensioner, etc. Nothing else that affects performance, though.

Eh , dude. lets try to stay on topic here ... He asked how to get more tq out of an engine. and your answering this other guys questions about engine differences. Why dont you tell HIM to start another topic instead. Beacuse, you know, valuable information that has been layed out COULD be searched for... oh wait.. search engines search the WHOLE thread when they search not just the thread titles.... thats what I thought!

Peace.

I understand what the term "cockblocked" means. If you had been around here longer, you'd know it gets used in conjunction with people "stealing" other people's threads.

Regarding stealing other people's threads and my response...that's how things get done around here. While you may think it's "ridiculous" to start a new thread to ask the question, it's how we keep things clean around here. Besides, it wasn't a question whose answer just pertained to H22 engines....so why should it belong in a thread about H22's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back