how to remove a partition?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok, my laptop has a 30 gig hard drive. partitioned to 2 15 gig partitions. one having win 2000 and the other having winxp. now i want to remove the 15 gig parition and make the hard drive just one 30 gig partition again. i dont want to format the entire thing and do a fresh install because i have liscenced softwar that would require a new liscence when reinstalling, and getting a new liscence is somewhat of a hassle (plus ive already gotten a new liscence once and they might say no thinking im trying to distribute it or something). ive tried using windows to delete the partition but the delete option is dimmed. and all the tutorials ive seen for XP say i should be able to just delete it. also i think the MBR is on the partition in tying to delete. can i move it to the one i want to keep?

first partition, second partition, whats the difference? but its labled C:. i want to keep E:

i downloaded partition magic, installed it. but when u trued to run it, it says "Init Error 117. Partition's drive letter could not be identified" wtf

do you have some spare hard disk to work with ?
do a full disk copy of one hard disk to another for backup purposes. Then do a partition copy of E: to another spare drive. You should then be able to run your system from the spare drive e: you might have to edit the registry to get the drive e: to be recognized as drive c: , you should be able to wipe clean your original drive and you might possibly have to re-install partition magic, do another disk copy from the spare drive back to the original 30gb drive

Just set your bios to boot from a CD and put your windows CD in. It should give you the options there.
However I'm not sure if you can remove a partition with out clearing the drive.

ok well i got it done. but i ended up having to reinstall everything anyway :(

i popped in in XP CD. formatted the C: drive and installed a fresh XP
installed all needed drivers and programs programs
the liscenced program installed with the same serial number so i could use the same reg string
installed partition magic again
then i formatted the old xp partition and then merged the 2 partitions into 1.

Back