how to tell if vtec is working??????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jason22ga

jason91si
ok heres the deal i dont think my vtec is working so i put a checker on vtec solenoid and revved my car to where vtec kicks in and the checker light didnt come on is there any other way to tell or should the checker light come on if its getting power any help would be appreciated

Is your ECU throwing any codes?

if its a single cam you wont really hear it and you'll barely feel anything during the crossover.. ..

You should hear a noticable difference in pitch at/or around 5600 rpm. The car has to be moving, though. Vtec will not engage if car is not warm and in motion. If you get no sound or power change...Check your oil level, check for good ground continuity from solenoid, check the vtec screen (I advise you to replace gasket after removing, around 15 bucks from your local Honda dealership). If all else fails...splice in and attach a wire and light inside your car (remove after testing, or you are a true ricer). If the light illuminates it means you are getting a signal from your ecu, in which case, the solenoid may be at fault.

Last edited:
You need 3 things to hit VTEC
1) Correct Oil pressure - if you don't have enough oil, it won't engage.
2) Warmed up engine
3) You need to be loading the engine, won't work in neutral

If your VTEC isn't working, the car will feel gutless at high RPM, it will feel like It stops pulling as hard after 5000 rpm. You won't (or at least shouldn't) feel it engage, but you should notice that the engine pulls hard all the way to redline, I know my b16 does.

You need 3 things to hit VTEC
1) Correct Oil pressure - if you don't have enough oil, it won't engage.
2) Warmed up engine
3) You need to be loading the engine, won't work in neutral

If your VTEC isn't working, the car will feel gutless at high RPM, it will feel like It stops pulling as hard after 5000 rpm. You won't (or at least shouldn't) feel it engage, but you should notice that the engine pulls hard all the way to redline, I know my b16 does.

x2 x2

OR, you could drive your car around, drop it in to a low gear at low speed. . . .meaning, start out in 1st, then quickly to 2nd, then to 3rd. . . floor the gas and right around the vtec engaugement the engine sound should change and become louder.

I find this works the best, low gear and juts floor it. . . ( dont use like 5th or anything) just make sureyour cars warmed up and you have oil.

I have a B16A swapped into a 91 Civic SI and I can hear a click when it kicks in. If you are using a stock ecu then there are several things that have to occur for it to engage. If you are chipped you can turn off the VSS, oil pressure and set the engage rpm.

Oh well thats good you got it fixed.

I was going to ask you, how in the hell did you put a test(checker) light on the solenoid. And rev your car at the same damn time?

Oh well thats good you got it fixed.

I was going to ask you, how in the hell did you put a test(checker) light on the solenoid. And rev your car at the same damn time?

ummm.. :blink:

there is a thing called a throttle cable that allows you to give the engine gas from the engine bay.. duh .. or he had someone rev the engine for him :shrug2:

God daminnnn it..........I totally spaced out that one, how the fuck did I forget about the cable......fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

You got me on that one.

ok. i have a question for you all then. I also just did an engine swap in my 93 civic hatch vx. we dropped in a d15b7 block (non vtec i know) and we put a d16z6 head on it. since my civic is a vx model it was originally a vtec so all the wiring and computer were able to be used on the d16z6 head. i didnt know about an oil restrictor jet in the block (blanco gave me that info) so the vtec didnt work at all. we took the head off and pulled that jet out and it still doesnt work. but i read on this page someone mentioned their o2 sensor? my o2 sensor is bad. could that be the reason my vtec wont kick in? if so the shitty part about that is that the vx civic have the 5 wire o2 sensor and they cost $500 at auto zone. so im screwed for now. but any info would help please. thanks:mad:

Back