I did a thing.. '19 ZL1 1LE Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
And I regret nothing.

2019 ZL1 1LE 6sp manual.. bought "used" with 300 miles, traded the GTR
1549241083566.jpg
1549241118481.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ok, so it's probably the coolest chevy ever made but i still don't like you very much right now lol

ok, so it's probably the coolest chevy ever made but i still don't like you very much right now lol

I was skeptical at first, but after a few test drives I was convinced this was the right move. I love the GTR but this is a completely different driving experience and definitely a better fit for what I want out of a toy right now.

Besides, I can always get another R35 later :)

That car is the automobile representation of several girls I've drunkenly hooked up with. Great body, outstanding engine and performance, legitimately perfect on paper. But what the fuck is wrong with that face???

I raced a new SS with the 10 speed auto in my C6 and it was neck to neck but my goodness does that 10 speed shift STUPID FAST and sounds wicked

welp, now that we've accepted the GTR is gone, we might as well keep moving forward.

So what's going to be the first mod? lol

That car is the automobile representation of several girls I've drunkenly hooked up with. Great body, outstanding engine and performance, legitimately perfect on paper. But what the fuck is wrong with that face???
I like the way this thing looks *shrugs*

such a badass car
It really is.. Chevy did their homework on this one

I raced a new SS with the 10 speed auto in my C6 and it was neck to neck but my goodness does that 10 speed shift STUPID FAST and sounds wicked
Chevy just announced the ZLE can now be optioned with the 10 speed auto.. obviously faster but I'd still rather have the manual

welp, now that we've accepted the GTR is gone, we might as well keep moving forward.

So what's going to be the first mod? lol
Here's what I have planned:
  1. Wrap
  2. Castrol SRF brake fluid
  3. Second set of wheels (likely BC Forged) for the street with Michelin PS4S tires
  4. Cat back - thinking Corsa to retain factory valve function but may just say fuark it and go with an aFe system that doesn't have valves
  5. CAI
  6. Set of slicks for the factory wheels when I use up the stock tires - probably 305F/315R or 305 square scrubs
  7. After warranty is up, (or I'm comfortable voiding it lol) I'll add pulley, cam, heads, tune, etc. to get ~700-750 whp. Anything beyond that will begin to ruin the purpose of the car IMO

I had my first track day this weekend on the short infield course at Texas Motor Speedway. The first session was wet but conditions improved quickly and it turned out to be the perfect day. I wound up being the fastest car on track by a considerable margin (PB of ~37.5s vs. 39s to closest competitor which, ironically, was an R35 :) )

Thoughts on the ZL1 vs. the GTR:
  • The stock ZL1 brakes are even better than the aftermarket setup I had on the GTR. They are fucking incredible - monstrous stopping power, easy to control, no fade
  • Improved mechanical grip compared to the GTR. I found myself trail braking the GTR then waiting for the car to rotate before I could get back on the gas.. the ZL1 rotates exceptionally with some trail braking, there is no hesitation between brake and gas. I roll off of the brake, and immediately begin light throttle
  • It is less stable than the GTR
  • In PTM "track" setting (all nannies off), it will try to kill you if you don't play nice
Really, really happy with the car. I'm going to shop brake pads and honestly not touch it for a while. The car needs nothing.

At first I had the same reaction as @Briansol. But reading the thread I can see where it makes sense. I'm excited to see what you can do with it.

At first I had the same reaction as @Briansol. But reading the thread I can see where it makes sense. I'm excited to see what you can do with it.

Most were surprised I got rid of the R35, even myself at first. But a car that is this engaging to drive and can keep up with the likes of the 991 GT3RS, McLarens, etc. is a rarity. The GTR accomplishes nearly the same thing, it is just simply more reluctant to be a full-on track car and, frankly, isn't quite as fun to drive.

Most were surprised I got rid of the R35, even myself at first. But a car that is this engaging to drive and can keep up with the likes of the 991 GT3RS, McLarens, etc. is a rarity. The GTR accomplishes nearly the same thing, it is just simply more reluctant to be a full-on track car and, frankly, isn't quite as fun to drive.

Car brands are finally realizing that you can build something that costs much, much less than elite, well-rounded race cars and exotics if you focus them on doing one thing really well. It's the same with any type of business, startup, or industry disruptor. Look at the Dodge Hellcat for example. Dodge made a $70,000 car that can hit a 10.x 1/4 mile if you focus on building a street legal drag car. If they wanted to make something that could corner at 120 mph, the car would have to cost double that.

If you put all of your resources into that laser focus, you're going to be much more successful than if you try to do everything from the start.

Awesome choice man, I've been eyeing these as well

Car brands are finally realizing that you can build something that costs much, much less than elite, well-rounded race cars and exotics if you focus them on doing one thing really well. It's the same with any type of business, startup, or industry disruptor. Look at the Dodge Hellcat for example. Dodge made a $70,000 car that can hit a 10.x 1/4 mile if you focus on building a street legal drag car. If they wanted to make something that could corner at 120 mph, the car would have to cost double that.

If you put all of your resources into that laser focus, you're going to be much more successful than if you try to do everything from the start.

The crazy thing is that even the base model ZL1 (MSRP ~$66k) is just a couple seconds shorter around most tracks and with a few bolt ons can turn a 10.x quarter mile when paired with the A10 transmission. So, all in, you're looking at maybe $75k for a car that can do both..

Awesome choice man, I've been eyeing these as well

Have you driven one? The test drive sold me.. hilariously fun to drive.

Back