I Dont care about the RHD Haters... ITS ON!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

Ok, I have been researching this stuff for 6-8 months now. I weighed all the options, RHD or LDH. So, i decided i wanted to be able to go through drive throughs and ATM's backwards.
I decided to make the officer walk to the wrong side of the car first, then walk around the car, just to tell him I did it for his saftey, so he didnt have to stand in traffic.

And last but not least
I decided to turn my 500 dollar civic into a 5000 dollar civic. With this clip, i have 1200 invested into my car. I am tired of being burned by putting so much money into a car just to lose it all when it sells.

I dont have EVERYTHING just yet, but i have enough to get the steering columb on the other side of the car.

I still need ALL WIRES from under the dash, The Gauge bezel (not the gauges itself, but i could use em) Climate controll, and maybe a couple misc items.

If you have em, or know where to get it, LET ME KNOW, Please.

Also, I decided after doing the front end conversion, after many people said it was too hard, and pointless to do. Its the Haters that inspire me.

ANYWAYS, I started to detatch the JDM firewall from the clip. I broke a drill bit, so i decided to take a break. lol.

I will keep this updated with photos AND Step by Step details for everyone that is interested, but dont know. Hell, I dont even know what im gettin into, but im sure i can get myself out of it.

AND FOR ALL YOU RHD HATERS... Your not welcome to Jack a "HOW TO" thread and turn it into "RHD SUCKS B/C I CANT AFFORD/HAVE SKILLS/AMBITION/EFFORT/TALENT/OR LIKE A RHD CAR"

Thanks, And enjoy the project.

5SPEED4LIFE
768955_79_full.jpg

uh...

you broke a drill bit a decided to take a break..
lol

this car is gonna be an antique by the time its done, but uh... good luck

Originally posted by reckedracing@May 23 2005, 10:06 AM
uh...

you broke a drill bit a decided to take a break..
lol

this car is gonna be an antique by the time its done, but uh... good luck
[post=502483]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

How do you figure that destroying the structural soundness of a unibody by drilling out and then replacing the firewall is going to increase the value?

Hey good luck, I hope everything works out. I agree that if you make it RHD you WILL be able to sell it for more. I am unsure of how taking the firewall out will affect the structural aspect of your car though.

Originally posted by E-dogg@May 23 2005, 06:25 PM
I agree that if you make it RHD you WILL be able to sell it for more. I am unsure of how taking the firewall out will affect the structural aspect of your car though.
[post=502543]Quoted post[/post]​

Buying a converted RHD is not comparable to buying a born RHD. I don't know a single person that would buy one. If you want to be sure about the firewall thing, find a shop that straightens frames, and ask them. You can't even do that in Germany, it is hardcore illegal.

Lol, Yeah....

Hey, thanks for the hater responses, thats exactly how i didnt want to start this thread off.

Redecked... I didnt have another drill bit of the same or similar size, so i took a break. lol. I just headed up to the store and got one, so i have been back to work.

As far as the structual integrity thing... I personaly do not see how removing a firewall and replacing it is gona really affect the "Structural Integrity", especialy to a point to make the vehicle unsafe to drive. Especialy if its re-welded in at the same spots, and then some.

I CAN see the body shifting with the fire wall out, but im gona do my best to support the body in a way so it doesnt shift (i have a bunch of jack stands), and measure it before and after i remove the firewall.

MOST of all, I am doing this project because this is how I want MY car, and i dont have the time or money to buy a JDM one.

Trust me, i would much rather just pick up a JDM Eg6 than do this swap... But i cant walk down the street, pick up the paper, and find one in there for 500 bux.

Personaly, I would buy a converted RHD car, and i know there is a prety decent size group of people who realy want a RHD.

As I said, id like if the Haters would not reply. Heck, Start your own thread about why not to do a RHD conversion, but keep it out of my thread, because you cant stop me. :ph34r:

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 23 2005, 12:32 PM-->
@May 23 2005, 06:25 PM
I agree that if you make it RHD you WILL be able to sell it for more. I am unsure of how taking the firewall out will affect the structural aspect of your car though.
[post=502543]Quoted post[/post]​

Buying a converted RHD is not comparable to buying a born RHD. I don't know a single person that would buy one. If you want to be sure about the firewall thing, find a shop that straightens frames, and ask them. You can't even do that in Germany, it is hardcore illegal.
[post=502544]Quoted post[/post]​

I personally feel this conversion is quite useless and a waste of time. One thing i will speak for though, is the fact that if done properly, you can cut out a firewall or any portion of a unibody struture and reweld in a new piece without affecting its structural integrity. Remeber I said IF done properly, meaning the person doing this has experience in collison repair and knows quite alot about what theyre doing.
Once again would i do this? NO, absolutely not, but is it physically possible to do while retaining the structural integrity of the car YES. Honestly if this sort of thing was not possible without risking safety or structural integrity of unibody chassis vehicles, Shops like my own and most any other body shop would not be able to exist.

Of course it can be done right, but a guy in a garage doing it, or even in a shop that hasn't done it before is asking for trouble.

I wouldn't want to be in a collision in that thing. You got to think of safety, you never want it to happen but it can.
One thing to remember is that if there is a crowd of people who would want a rhd civc you made, how many of them have the cash for it. What bank is going to loan someone over 3-4grand on a 12 year old civic that is modded?
Good luck with it, spending a lot of money on a useless mod.

ok well i will offer you some help so you car remains straight.
1) im guessing the car is gutted so buy some 1/16 wall round or square stock and cross brace the car from top right to top left and then across the car the other way weld them in then weld them together.
2) use a spot weld bit to removbe the old spot welds a drill bit just makes a mess
as for jack stands when the time comes have a good selection of plywood on hand to level the car out and make sure you take your time if it takes 2days to get it perfect then thats what it takes.
3) weld the car to the jack stands a couple good tack welds that you cut off later will ensure the car never moves

have fun and good luck with it

I will also offer some advice to try and aid you in keeping your car from going down the road sideways in the end

1. If you do not have a frame machine or know how to use one, do not try this conversion.
2. If you are not a collision repair technician, and or a certified one, do not try this conversion.
3. If you are simply a do it yourselfer working out of tyour garage at home without alot of tools do not try this conversion.
4. If all you have is jackstand to hold the car in place, do not try this conversion

Originally posted by 5speed4life@May 23 2005, 08:58 AM
I decided to turn my 500 dollar civic into a 5000 dollar civic. With this clip, i have 1200 invested into my car. I am tired of being burned by putting so much money into a car just to lose it all when it sells.

[post=502482]Quoted post[/post]​

:blink: if your tired of putting money into a car and just to lose it when you sell it, then dont do the swap, cause your just going to lose money if you sell it.
suggestion for you if your tired of losing money, then dont do ANYTHING to any car ever, cause no matter what you do to any car, if you try to sell it your going to lose money. even if you buy a brand new car and add things to it and try to sell it your going to lose money, cars depreicate in valve. if your worried about losing money, then just walk everywhere, no need to buy gas, parts or add ons.

its cool that you want to do a rhd conversion, I give you props for wanting to the swap, but if your doing it just to make a profit, you will be dissapointed that you spent more than you will be able to sell the car for
so best of luck

Originally posted by ripperbone+May 24 2005, 06:19 PM-->
5speed4life
@May 23 2005, 08:58 AM

[post=502482]Quoted post[/post]​

:blink: if your tired of putting money into a car and just to lose it when you sell it, then dont do the swap, cause your just going to lose money if you sell it.
suggestion for you if your tired of losing money, then dont do ANYTHING to any car ever, cause no matter what you do to any car, if you try to sell it your going to lose money. even if you buy a brand new car and add things to it and try to sell it your going to lose money, cars depreicate in valve. if your worried about losing money, then just walk everywhere, no need to buy gas, parts or add ons.

its cool that you want to do a rhd conversion, I give you props for wanting to the swap, but if your doing it just to make a profit, you will be dissapointed that you spent more than you will be able to sell the car for
so best of luck
[post=502953]Quoted post[/post]​

Too true. I would buy a bone stock Civic before I bought something someone else modded, unless I knew them and did the work with them, or absolutely trusted where it was done. I've seen people put front springs on the back, do hack ass weld jobs on suspension parts, and exhaust, beat the living shit out of their hotrod whatever. I got lucky, three of my last five Honda were relatively untouched, one of the others had rims, another had a new motor( :) OEM replacement).

Originally posted by driver1@May 23 2005, 06:19 PM
I will also offer some advice to try and aid you in keeping your car from going down the road sideways in the end

1. If you do not have a frame machine or know how to use one, do not try this conversion.
2. If you are not a collision repair technician, and or a certified one, do not try this conversion.
3. If you are simply a do it yourselfer working out of tyour garage at home without alot of tools do not try this conversion.
4. If all you have is jackstand to hold the car in place, do not try this conversion
[post=502714]Quoted post[/post]​

:ditto:

even if your put you car on a hundred jack stands the cut out the fire wall it wont matter, YOU NEED A FRAME MACHINE.
I am thinking the 5speed4life has never done body work or frame work. he is in for more work then the cars worth. plus buy the time you get done with the conversion, you will have spent more money on it than if you would have if you bought a rhd civic and imported to the states

Originally posted by ripperbone@May 24 2005, 12:28 PM

even if your put you car on a hundred jack stands the cut out the fire wall it wont matter, YOU NEED A FRAME MACHINE.
I am thinking the 5speed4life has never done body work or frame work. he is in for more work then the cars worth. plus buy the time you get done with the conversion, you will have spent more money on it than if you would have if you bought a rhd civic and imported to the states
[post=502955]Quoted post[/post]​

I have done plenty of body work, fabricated and installed rust repair panels, and i have replaced a core support on this civic. I took it to the body shop, and they put it on the frame machine before i welded it. ( i had sheet metal screws holding it in place) and said it was still straight. i figure the core support was very vital. i know this is alot more work and more important to the structure of the car

This car will be done a similar way. I will tack the fire wall in, have it bedded to the shop down the road, and have it lined up properly before finaly welding every thing in.

Also, i am not removing the upper support under the dash. Im removing the bottom of it, but thats all, so i figure that will give me extra support when the fire wall is out. Plus if the windshiled cracks, i know it shifted. lol.

And How is 250-300 (plus frame machine time, ouch) MORE than buying a RHD car? I just dont get it. I spent 250 on this clip, although its missing a couple small parts (like the gauge bezel and dash wire harness) its intact with all the parts I need to get it to paint. I have the cross member, steering rack, power steering lines (Yay, i will have power steering for once) SIR2 sway bar and control arms.

I am not in this for the money at all. Its just that civics have a much higher resale value than any other car ive owned. Its just a bonus that if i run into some trouble, i can put this on ebay, it will sell for a lot more than i have into it.

This is how I want my dream civic. Rhd, with an EK front end. (i also want mazda 3 tail lights, but thats in the future). So, Instead of just dreaming of it, i decided to make it happen.

Yes, I am a backyard mechanic who has never done a RHD swap before, but have you? How many people have done this? I know its been done, but have any of you done it?

I put this thread up to help the people who have the balls and intuitve to even give this a shot. I put this up because i have been looking for a thread on a fourm that shows you what needs to be done. Its up to the reader to decide if the amount of work into it is worth it. To me it is. We will see how i feel after im done, because i have another RHD conversion planned if this one doesnt kill my ambition to do it.

This is a true pain in the ass, and i havent even started on my civic yet. im working on the RHD clip, gettin the fire wall out. It have about 10 spot welds left, and it should be out. I cant wait to be laying in a pile of metal chips drilling above me.

I know what im getting into, i just have no idea how its gona turn out.

I just hate coming on here to defend my decision to do this. Its cool for people to come on here and voice thier opinion, and give me tips, but to tell me i dont know wtf im doing and i will die when i get it on the road, i just dont need that to finish this swap. Maybe when im done, then we will talk.

Originally posted by 5speed4life+May 24 2005, 12:12 PM-->
I have done plenty of body work, fabricated and installed rust repair panels, and i have replaced a core support on this civic. I took it to the body shop, and they put it on the frame machine before i welded it. ( i had sheet metal screws holding it in place) and said it was still straight. i figure the core support was very vital. i know this is alot more work and more important to the structure of the car
[post=502972]Quoted post[/post]​
a firewall is far different than a core support

Originally posted by 5speed4life@May 24 2005, 12:12 PM
This is how I want my dream civic. Rhd, with an EK front end. (i also want mazda 3 tail lights, but thats in the future). So, Instead of just dreaming of it, i decided to make it happen.

thats cool that its the way you want your dream civic to be, and I give you props for wanting to do your civic the way you want and trying it yourself

Originally posted by 5speed4life@May 24 2005, 12:12 PM
Yes, I am a backyard mechanic who has never done a RHD swap before, but have you? How many people have done this? I know its been done, but have any of you done it?

matter of fact I havent done one on my car, but I did help my buddy with one on his 96 hatch, 2 years later and its still not done, and its more work than its worth

5speed4life
@May 24 2005, 12:12 PM
I just hate coming on here to defend my decision to do this. Its cool for people to come on here and voice thier opinion, and give me tips, but to tell me i dont know wtf im doing and i will die when i get it on the road, i just dont need that to finish this swap. Maybe when im done, then we will talk.

like I said best of luck with it

Back