I need help finishing my b16a swap. PLEASE.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I have swapped a b16a (jdm sir) engine into my 93 civic coupe. I am having some problems figuring out a couple of things. First off let me explain what the engine is like right now. It came out of a 98 civic, so the alt and dizzy are obd2. I have changed the plugs on both so they will connect to my obd1 harness. The intake manifold is also obd2 (not sure if it A or B). I have two plugs on the engine harness that have no where to go. One is for the purge cut solenoid valve, and the other is for the TA sensor which are not on the IM.

P4090003.jpg

I have searched for the answer, but have not come up with much. Some people say that I can use the purge cut valve from the d series engine, but there isnt even a place to mount it to the IM. What do I do about the TA sensor?

Next problem is the evap control.
P4110007.jpg

I dont have a plug for this either. Do I need to run wires from the ecu for this? Is this something that I cant use since my car is obd1 and the IM is obd2? I found this pic on phearables website that has a evap purge wire, but it says it is for a b18c (gsr/sirg). The plug has two connectors, but the pic only shows one wire from the ecu. Is the other connector for the ground, and where do I ground it if it is?
Picture3.png

The next problem is about the vacuum connections. I am using the map sensor that is connected to the TB not the one that was used for the d series. There were lines running to the original map sensor, but there are none for the new one.
P4090002.jpg

There is a port on the bottom of the TB that is not hooked up. I dont know if it has anything to do with the map sensor or not. I think it might be a coolant line, but I am not sure.
P4110010.jpg

I have been using these pics as reference.
Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Please help me out. I have tried to figure it out on my own, but I am not having any luck.

I am pretty sure you need an OBD1 IM. The OBD2 is different for sure. I have a JDM one I can sell you (b/c I swapped in a B16A3 USDM version) but I would wait and see if someone else has a fix that will work first. I would have converted everything (dizzy, alt, injectors, IM) to OBD1. But that is just me...I believe there are other options but converting over is all I know.

Your plugs are the evap purge (like you stated) and the other one is probably the intake manifold temp sensor (its right next to the evap purge on the harness and has the same plug pattern) And the sensors for IM temp are different on the OBD1 vs. OBD2

I have converted everything (dizzy, alt, injectors) to obd1. I used the injectors from my d series.
So when you say the plugs are for the evap purge...does the one in the first picture take place of the one that is in the second picture?
P4110007.jpg

P4090005.jpg

Also if it does take its place then what do I do with the hose from the charcoal canister to purge solenoid and what do I hook up to the nipple that is on the back of the IM where the purge valve would hook up to?

How much would you let the IM go for just in case I need to get it from you?

If you have a JDM motor....it does not have an Evap purge (nor will the JDM ECU look for it). You only need it if you have a USDM ECU and/or you live in CA (or some other strict smog state). If you don't need it....jsut plug the hose that goes to the charcoal canister with a screw

I am not sure on the sensor in your picture (except that is ISN'T the evap purge solenoid).....if it has a hose that goes to the IM....I would guess (and this is only a guess) that it is the IM temp sensor. Mine is on the IM runner for cylinder #1 but I am not sure about an OBD2 IM.

P.S. I am pretty damn sure that I am right about those plugs and their home. One is evap purge and the other is IM temp sensor.

I get what you are saying about the jdm motor, but it has a usdm IM from a 00 si. I believe you about the two plugs, but the IM does not have a purge solenoid like the d series IM. However the thing in the picture for the b16 is the evap purge solenoid and the thing in the picture for the d series is the purge control solenoid valve. I know what the parts are I just cant figure out how to hook them up properly.
solenoid.jpg

I am going to be running a p28 ecu chipped by Phearable.

Well I have been searching for days trying to figure out this problem, and today I found out that you dont need the charcoal/evap system, so its getting taken out. I live in GA so I dont have those pesky emissions tests. Thnx for the help CAFROG.

I wish I lived closer to a guy I know that has a OBD2 USDM B16 IM....but I guess that thing was the evap purge solenoid. If you are using a USDM chipped P28 make sure it doesn't look for the purge b/c it naturally will. Pretty sure extending the line wont help b/c the plugs are different. If you haven't ordered the ECU....look into them prgramming it to not look for the purge solenoid.

Where is your IM temp sonsor?

I dont have a intake temp sensor right now. I think that on the b16 it is connected to the intake, but there was no intake when I got the engine. I dont see one on the manifold anywhere. I can take the one off the d15 if I need to. Everything that I read this morning said that ecus didnt start looking for evap until obd2. I have sent off my ecu already, but it just got there today so I am going to call him and see what he can do.

the line on the bottom of the TB is a coolant line..

as for an IAT (intake air temp) you can put it on runner #1 of the intake manifold (should be a flat spot to drill holes for one, or at least there was on my LS) or as you stated, in the intake.

I have an OBD1 set up and it does have the evap purge with a plug off the harness so I am pretty sure its needed....but not in JDM motors. They don't use that smog aspect there.

I know its a coolant line I just dont know how to hook it up. In the jdm helms for b16a it shows 4 going to 3 and 2 going to a bypass hose that doesnt seem to go anywhere. In the usdm helms for 99-00 si it shows 1 going to 2 and 3 going to 4. The problem is there is no 2 on my engine.
Coolantlines.jpg

Picture5.png

Picture6.png

Is this where you are talking about Matt?
P4120012.jpg

Last edited:
You have an OBD1 engine bay and it wants a Fast Idle Thermo Valve. It controls the idle when the car is cold. But you have a OBD2 TB that doesn't have the FITV (it became controlled by the CU at that point). There is a way to bypass the need for the FITV but I am not sure on the particulars. I would have kept it all OBD1 b/c thats how I am but its not the only way. Check out some other threads related to the FITV and ways to bypass it.

My guess is #3 goes to #1 (with a hose you supply)

The IM came with the engine. I did not intentionally use obd2 parts. Believe me if I had an obd1 IM laying around it would be on the engine and we would not be having this convo. Maybe I will just get another IM and save myself the headaches. You said you have one right?

What about this idea? The 2 marked in the picture does not exist, right next to that there is another coolant line. I took the IM off and looked at the place where 2 should be and there is a space where the nipple would be if it had one. Inside the IM there is just an open area that the coolant would flow through. This area feeds the larger line that is right next to number 2. You can kinda see what I am talking about in these pics.
P4120013.jpg

P4120014.jpg

P4120015.jpg

So what I am getting at is if there was a 2 tapped into the head the coolant would feed through this area, which is also where it would feed through for the other line. So couldnt I just get a T fitting from home depot or something and split it off of the larger line essentially using the one line to feed two places.

yes thats the spot im talking about. its kind of a PITA to get it on there straight and centered, but thats exactly what i did on my old LS intake manifold. crappy part is you have to pull it back out of the car :(

I pulled it out anyway. i didnt want shavings to get in the cylinders. What do you think about the idea I had for running a line to the coolant nipple on the TB. Can you see any reason why it would not work?

Back