I Smell Anti-freeze

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I've have overheated about 3 times in my civic. Just had some work done (in signature) and when I get on it I can smell anti-freeze thru my vents. Its not a super strong smell, but I can smell it. Is this bad that I can smell it, does that mean I have a leak somewhere and It could be into the engine or something and cause a problem in the near future ?

If you smell antifreeze in your cabin,there is something wrong.Have you checked all the hoses,to make sure they are not leaking,and all connnected to the right places?Especially check the backside connections.Start there,then open your oil hule and smell for coolant,if you can smell it in your hule,you have a blown head gasket,and your probably smellingit cook off out of the motor.

When my head was going on, we went thru about 3 head gaskets. I think this might be the problem. Is there an easy way to check my head gasket. I'm a noob incase you couldn't tell.

Like I said smell for it in the hull.You can pop your radiator and see if there is a milky substance (oil mixed with coolant) floating around in it.When you refilled your coolant did you bleed the system?

I did not bleed the system. by that you mean flush it out ??? Also, with a blown head gasket, can that lead to problems for me ? My other problem is the guy who worked on my engine is 5 hours away !!! I am definately using anti-freeze. I just checked it to look for the milky stuff. I can't tell cuz its too low. I had to throw some more in. Also, somebody told me to throw in some stop leak stuff into my radiator, is this stuff bad ? Let me know what you think I should do. If I need to flush the radiator, cool. Just help me out. Thanks

Also, I just pulled the oil cap and all I smell is oil. Hopefully this is a good sign. The reason I think my head gasket might be blown is because right above my engine tag, it has an oily residue like it is leaking in that corner....

It's hard to say without looking at it.Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.You can drain a little coolant out of the radiator into a pan and see if it has crap in it.And yes a blown head gasket is bad.But it may not be related to you smelling antifreeze,if the head wasn't torqued down right you can leak oil also.

one real simple thing that could have happend was when you replaced/remove the thermostat, you may have put the little gasket on wrong and then you are leaking it out. I had this problem for a few days because I did not know how to put the thermostat gasket on properly. Also, is there any white smoke coming out the exhaust? If it is, you did blow your headgasket and you are now burning coolant. Check the undersides of all the hoses, this is where you will see more leakage.

Back