IACV problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blakwolf9666

yeah another one of these threads ... these things are retarded half the freakin time lol

well i just got a new one to to try and help with the high idling which it did help some however now the idle surges alot every now and then. ive also noticed that once the cars up to temp if you unplug the sensor it drops idle even more(down to where it should be) and seems to run smoother ... any ideas??

P.S. my FITV has already been checked and is screwed into place where it should be

Do you know how to properly set the idle? The screw does not necessarily need to be all the way in. I would start there. Also verify that there are no vacuum leaks.

Is there any air in the coolant system?

Adjusting idle without using the correct procedure will just put it right back to a crap spot (with the idle screw more tight)
Also...unplugging the IACV is supose to make the idle drop. It means it's working when it's plugged in.

Try to bring it back out a few turns with the car off and see how it reacts when you start it up. If I'm right.....it will idle the same and you can then do the idle learning procedure.

This is it.....roughly.

Get car to running temp.
Turn car off
Unplug IACV electrical
Start car (may need to give it gas and slowly let off until it idles)
Turn idle screw until it idles around 450rpm's (hard to tell with a tach but do your best)
Turn car off
Plug IACV in
Unplug back-up fuse in engine bay for 15 seconds and plug back in

Start the car and see how it idles. That's my best advise :shrug2:

I've tried that only thing is is that the idle screw isnt coming out its stuck in there and I can't get it out ... Just my luck so I can't even adjust it the way it needs to

anyone have any ideas on how to get the idle out of the TB because ive tried backing it out so i could readjust the idling since now its beginning to become a pain in the a$$ to even start the car (guessing its not getting the right amount of air or something) the adjusting bolt i dont care to much about ill just get another from honda and put some lubricant of some kind on it so i can move it again later lol but the ppl that had the car before me pretty much had the bolt head stripped (guess they were trying to fix the idle surging and what not that it had before i got it (simple fix if you know what yr doing))

Is the car timed right? Almost sounds like the dizzy is to far advanced to me, also is the TB gasket any good? sometimes they crap out and need a replacement... other things to check

havent touched the dizz and the tb gasket isnt too old since i changed it out when i got the car and this didnt start till i swaped out the iacv so trying there first probly gonna put the old one back on and see if it stops till i can get the idle screw out and adjust everything accordingly

ok so yeah a bit more of an explanation of the problem, car has problems starting, when first turning the key the starter engages and everything but then it sounds like it goes from starter to a choking or sputtering and i need to pump the gas to try and get it going, sometimes a few times of trying to start it (kinda scared i may flood the cylinders) after its on and warmed up you can turn it off and it will start up again but once it cools off some its the same crap. once its on though and it gets what seems like enough air to bring it up to speed it seems it runs smoothly and normally like always ... completely confused though we are going to have a mechanic coming over in the morning to look at our other car so ill have him take a look at mine as well because i need to have my car for work ... >.<

The "check" to make sure the FITV is okay is also at running temp.

You said you looked the the screwed in piece but that is not always a "check"

Take the intake pipe off the TB and feel if there is suction on the lower hole inside the TB towards the firewall

You should have crazy suction at cold temps and hardly any suction at running temps.

Not saying it must be the FITV but it does control idle at cold temps (IACV at running temps)

Last edited:
WTF!?!?!? well the mechanics here and first time i start it it starts right up no problem ... second time same thing .... but according to him he said that it may be the tps because it helps control the fuel, not really sure though since we cant really communicate to well being as he speaks more spanish and not a lot of english and vice versa for me lol

i also noticed that last night when it was acting up but running when i got home the psi on the fuel filter/line said 32psi but today it says 38 and again starts right up no problem. Im not sure if its because its sitting out in the sun or not ...

well took the intake off and checked for suction at the fitv and there was almost none there even though the temp gauge says its cold so im gonna get another one and see if that helps, i still need to get the idle screw out though

I had a similar issue. Take your intake off your throttle body and try plugging each hole with your thumb (if it's the same as a y7 it has 2, not sure about others.) If either of them make it idle correctly, it's a vacuum issue, in which case make sure you bought the right tb gasket. I also had an air pocket in my coolant.

ok well it hasnt been acting up lately until today with alot of driving and errand running, starts fine while cold but when its warmed up and you try to start it after its been sitting awhile but still warm it goes back to the choking and sputtering and takes awhile to start ... >.<
i did how ever get my new fitv and throttle adjusting screw i just need to take the old screw out somehow and change them.

any ideas anyone

Back